Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM

182 posts, read 492,603 times

Advertisements

I have a client who is moving to Raleigh and we need some information please? What can you tell me about the North Hills area (and surrounding areas in general)? Where to live, shop and play. Restaurants, parks, events, outdoor activities? She is moving this spring, single, 39, no children and she's wanting to live in a chic happening area, renting not buying for the first couple of years.

Everyone we ask says North Hills? She is also in need of a very progressive, up to date Hair Salon (NOT Aveda please). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Did you see the website? Answers a lot of questions: North Hills Raleigh - Shopping, Dining, Movies and Events

It's not a very big area. A few years ago, it used to be a traditional mall, and they tore down everything but Penney's. It, and the surrounding area, was rebuilt.

It's about 10 minutes from the Brentwood subdivision, through backstreets. We love going there, especially on Saturday mornings where they have a little farmer's market and often live music.

The housing in North Hills is pricey; you can live elsewhere for far less.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
North Hills has been turned into a replica of NYC, prices are set the same way.

Lots of high end type stores and a supermarket under an apt building NYC style. That would be a good place for the client to rent if her budget can deal with the very high rents. Park & Market is its name and it's partially owned by the North Hills developer, Kane Realty.

Gym, theater, restaurants in walking distance. Even an upscale bowling alley.

Not true NC style, but may be exactly what you want. Apts range from studio to large 2 BR. Bring a well filled bank account.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,419 times
I would pick Glenwood South over North Hills, but that's just me. The R-Line is available to take you anywhere you want to go downtown; the convention center, amphitheater, Progress Energy center, etc. I think there are more options to do things. Can't speak for the hair salon issue though.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
North Hills is definitely the place to be in Raleigh! Its premier location makes it accessible to all points of the triangle. The best part about North Hills is it's walk ability to the 24 hour Harris Teeter, Target, movies, restaurants and shopping. There is such a variety of shopping from Target and JC Penney to custom made suits. The same is true for restaurants, which includes many locally owned restaurants!

North Hills hosts many events during the year which includes a Farmer's Market, the very popular Beach Music Concert Series which brings some great names to the area, the Emerging Artist Series, and kid events as well.

I live in North Hills and enjoy all the conveniences it has to offer! I recommend it to everyone!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-14-2011 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Please review the Terms of Service -- new members may NOT make recommendations.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
I would pick Glenwood South over North Hills, but that's just me. The R-Line is available to take you anywhere you want to go downtown; the convention center, amphitheater, Progress Energy center, etc. I think there are more options to do things. Can't speak for the hair salon issue though.
I completely agree with this post. Glenwood South is definitely better for singles than North Hills. As for the hair salon issue, "Primp" is in Glenwood South and it has been named as one of the top 20 salons in the nation. primp salonbar: cut. color. cocktails.

For shopping, Cameron Village is walkable from high end rental housing places such as 712 Tucker. I live on North Boylan Ave. in Glenwood South and walk to CV all the time. It takes me about ten minutes. Plus, Glenwood South is a real neighborhood that has developed organically within the city's existing infrastructure. It's not a single developer driven new urbanism concept like North Hills.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I completely agree with this post. Glenwood South is definitely better for singles than North Hills. As for the hair salon issue, "Primp" is in Glenwood South and it has been named as one of the top 20 salons in the nation. primp salonbar: cut. color. cocktails.

For shopping, Cameron Village is walkable from high end rental housing places such as 712 Tucker. I live on North Boylan Ave. in Glenwood South and walk to CV all the time. It takes me about ten minutes. Plus, Glenwood South is a real neighborhood that has developed organically within the city's existing infrastructure. It's not a single developer driven new urbanism concept like North Hills.
Agreed. I would choose the downtown are of Raleigh over North Hills anyday. North Hills is franchise/chain-hell while it is tough to find any corporate restaurants and/or stores in the downtown area (thank goodness).

Mike

Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
another thumbs up for glenwood south area....

Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
I have a client who is moving to Raleigh and we need some information please? What can you tell me about the North Hills area (and surrounding areas in general)? Where to live, shop and play. Restaurants, parks, events, outdoor activities? She is moving this spring, single, 39, no children and she's wanting to live in a chic happening area, renting not buying for the first couple of years.

Everyone we ask says North Hills? She is also in need of a very progressive, up to date Hair Salon (NOT Aveda please). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It might be more helpful to your client if she were the one asking the questions. That way, we could ask her for more answers as to where she wants to live and why and we could direct her better.

Vicki

Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM

182 posts, read 492,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
It might be more helpful to your client if she were the one asking the questions. That way, we could ask her for more answers as to where she wants to live and why and we could direct her better.

Vicki
She's not on this forum, though I've encouraged her to join. She can actually read the thread without being a member so this information is really helpful! Thanks for all of your input and for taking the time to respond...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary