U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2011, 03:35 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,202,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmom3 View Post
It REALLY depends on the company as far as the environment goes. Research carefully. There are a few places that are notorious for not being the best place to work.
Well, what about Lenovo (formerly IBM) in RTP? lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM

414 posts, read 470,086 times
Default Next time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, i just applied for the job. I'm sure nothing will come of it, due to the unemployment that already exists in Raleigh, and the obvious fact that i'm hundreds of miles away lol. But at least if it doesn't work out, I will know that it wasn't meant to be, and will just move on with my career here in CT.
I agree with everyone who says you should visit again. With that said...if you visit again and decide that this is the place for you, but want to make sure you have a job first before you move (which is smart), I'd invest in a local P.O. box (if possible) to include as your address when submitting your resume.

Several years ago when I was moving from Atlanta to the DC area, nobody would look at my resume because they didn't want to pay relocation costs. I didn't expect them to, but you can't really say that on a resume. Luckily, I had a friend already in the area and used his address...and the calls started rolling in...

Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM

106 posts, read 150,822 times
A 26 year old gay guy with a steady job and good income? Yes, please.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM

884 posts, read 831,549 times
I use glassdoor.com to research companies. Of course, keep in mind people usually share opinions when they are really really happy or really really unhappy. But sometimes you can pick up a theme among the reviewers. (Not a plug/ad for the site. You can get free access if you create an account and review a place you've worked.)

Old 02-14-2011, 10:29 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,202,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I use glassdoor.com to research companies. Of course, keep in mind people usually share opinions when they are really really happy or really really unhappy. But sometimes you can pick up a theme among the reviewers. (Not a plug/ad for the site. You can get free access if you create an account and review a place you've worked.)
Well, the company I work for now (Northeast Utilities) has a rating of 4.7 on Glassdoor.com. Lenovo, however, only has a 3.0. I am aware that the company I work for now is among the best places to work for. It would be a huge risk to leave it, to be honest.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 AM

234 posts, read 360,652 times
I know a lot of people who work for Lenovo and they're happy and dedicated to their jobs. The workforce is around the globe, especially in China of course, so depending on the job you would likely have evening conference calls. I think it helps if you are open to learning about and understanding Chinese culture, since there's a lot of interaction with Chinese coworkers here and in China.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 AM

114 posts, read 137,481 times
I moved here from Newtown, CT (about 1 hr from Hartford) last January. I transfered and took my salary with me. The traffic here is not bad compared to CT/NY. The people that transplanted soon forget how bad it was up north. Don't get me wrong there is stop and go, bumper to bumper but not as bad as you are use to.

I love the weather here. It is hot in the summer and the sun is hotter but nowhere as humid as up north. I am married with children, so I do not know about the night life, but I am sure it is better than Middletown.

Jobs are hard to come by and they are NOT paying well. My wife has been looking since we moved and her $65K salary is a $35K-$40K position here. She has been called from headhunters about $12 per hr jobs. She made that while in college.....

It is less expensive to live here, but only come if you have a job lined up

Old 02-15-2011, 06:06 AM

279 posts, read 423,812 times
If I had to do it over again, I would not have moved. I guess in a way I am glad I did, since you never know til you try though. With the economy being how it is, I would stay put! Good luck to you.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 AM

16 posts, read 22,097 times
nep,
If you move here from the northeast, you will ask what all the fuss is about traffic. I think it is a non-issue.

C'mon down! You should also consider the fact that owning a home IS affordable down here. In the northeast, not so much.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,314 times
I rarely hear southern accents in the Cary /Morrisville area. Your income will buy you a nice home here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary