Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times

Advertisements

My wife has decided that our children need a jungle gym in the back yard to play on. I'm not too happy about this because I'LL be the one who gets to waste 2-3 weekends installing it in the back yard.

She's looking for something like this:

Gorilla Playsets Outing III Play Set - 01-0001 at The Home Depot

But I refuse to pay $850 + tax for it.

Any idea if there are similar playsets being built by local companies or individuals? I don't want to mess with Craigs List at the moment, but may end up going that route (buying someone's existing playset, disassembling it in their back yard, then hauling it to my back yard and reassembling) if I can't find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,756 times
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find one similar to that any cheaper except on Craigslist. Even at Costco, etc they're $1000 and up. And believe me, you can find them much more expensive - look up Woodplay or Rainbow. Those are REALLY pricey.

OK, I just did a quick search and you can get this one at WalMart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Adventure-...35392546229172.

There was an individual near you - either on Lake Wheeler or Johnson Pond or Bells Lake/Graham Newton - that made them - I don't know about prices and can't remember if I've seen the sign recently, but there was a playset sitting out by the road with a sign with a phone number saying they build them. Somehow I got the impression that they were as expensive as the ones in stores, but not 100% sure about that. Sorry to be so vague.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
There was an individual near you - either on Lake Wheeler or Johnson Pond or Bells Lake/Graham Newton - that made them. . . .
Yeah, he was on Graham Newton, but I don't remember seeing it lately. Maybe I've driven by so many times that it's become part of the background. I'll pay attention on my drive home today.

The WalMart set looks good for the price. I read some reviews and they suggested that the wood was rather thin, resulting in a flimsy structure. But of course the picture shows 7-8 kids, some 50+ lbs, playing on the thing at one time

Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
There's an almost identical one (if not identical) that you linked at Home Depot at Costco. It's on sale for $799 until the end of February (shipping included). I don't know if that one is available at the store, but sometimes the store price is cheaper than the online price.

I would stay away from the Wal-Mart ones. They just don't hold up like the better ones. If you need to go cheaper, then buy one used. You can also check BJs. They usually have a few, too.

We went through this same thing 7 years ago looking for a swing set. And many people said to avoid the cheapie ones. We ended up spending $999 at Costco, and 7 years later it is still in good shape (it was Rainbow brand). Good luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
The warehouse clubs do seem to have the best price/stability tradeoffs.

When you budget, remember to allow for 6-12 inches of mulch or pea gravel to cushion the, eh, landing zone.

Frank

Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If you need to go cheaper, then buy one used
Then I guess I'm going to have to buy used.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
Either used or smaller/cheaper. We have a CedarWorks set (catalog or online only) thinking the kids would love it. I wanted something that was very sturdy that wasn't going to fall apart in a season or two. I swear they are almost never on it. I could have tied a swing onto a tree limb in the wood line and been done with it!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,086 times
Craigslist under General For Sale. There are 2 listed ($500 and $300), but they go fast. We had a nice one that my husband had even routed all of the edges, but we gave it away to a friend. However, we were ready to put it up on Craigslist for cheap before our friend asked for it.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Either used or smaller/cheaper. We have a CedarWorks set (catalog or online only) thinking the kids would love it. I wanted something that was very sturdy that wasn't going to fall apart in a season or two. I swear they are almost never on it. I could have tied a swing onto a tree limb in the wood line and been done with it!
Along the same lines...every backyard gym in my neighborhood was/is hardly ever touched.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Along the same lines...every backyard gym in my neighborhood was/is hardly ever touched.
EXACTLY!!!

I keep telling my wife this. . . . It'll be like every other toy they have. They play with it for a few months and then it never gets used. But she insists "When I was a kid we had one and I played on it every day!".

Yeah right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary