Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM

12 posts, read 50,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by datahead View Post
I moved to NC 4 years ago to teach at ECU in Greenville but commute from Raleigh. It is a long drive but living in raleigh definitely has its benefits. I guess it depends on what you want but I DEFINITELY would not do the commute to live in Cary. We are both more comfortable in an urban environment, and while Raleigh is not exactly that, it is better than Greenville or Cary (we live inside the beltline very close to downtown and Glenwood South). So if you must live in Cary, at least try it for a while - however if you are living in Cary to be close to good restaurants, shopping, etc. I would live more near downtown Raleigh - the commute would be a bit shorter (& with less traffic).
I am thinking about commuting from Cary since my wife got a job at Duke hosipital and I got a teaching job at ECU.

Are there some faculties commute from Raleigh?
How often do you go to ECU? 4 days a week?

So you have been doing it for 4 years and how are you handling the commute?

Thanks for your time and effort to answer my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 01:04 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,721 times
I'd do everything possible to find jobs closer together. For instance, Wake Med is a major hospital on the east side of Raleigh. If your wife could get a job there, you could live somewhere like Zebulon and she'd have a fairly short commute and yours would be cut down to an hour. Or live somewhere like Wilson and both have longer commutes.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,767 times
I used to work for ECU (in the ITCS department) and I commuted from Raleigh for 3 years. I'm from Raleigh and it was worth it to be closer to family and friends. I did well with it but I also telecommuted 2-3 days per week so the most I ever drove in was 3 days a week. It took me on average an hour and twenty minutes but this was BEFORE the 64 Bypass was opened and also BEFORE 540 connected with 64. When I head back for games these bypasses save me 10-15 minutes more than what my commute was for work.

If your wife is going to be working at Duke I would seriously consider North Raleigh. N. Raleigh has good schools and is a very desired area. It will reduce your commute to Greenville by at least 20 minutes over Cary, and Duke will be about 25 minutes away for your wife. I work in Cary and like the town but prefer N. Raleigh myself. Even if you lived in the most eastern part of Cary your commute is going to be 1hr 30 min. and chances are if your wife has her eye on Cary, the most eastern parts are not where you would be looking.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,385 times
Default commuting from Cary to Greenville, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by taehwan View Post
We are moving from Texas to North Carolina next month since I found a new oppertunity in Greenville, NC (East Carolina University). However, my wife is very interested in Cary, NC. Do you know anyone communting from Cary to Greenville during weekdays? How is the experience? The google map says one way trip takes 1hr 30mins. I don't know communting this long distance.
Any comments will help. Thanks in advance.

I am curious to know if you made to move to Cary. How is your commute to Greenville? We a planning on moving to Cary, NC from NY and I will be working in Greenville, NC. My commute will be 3 days a week.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:15 PM

204 posts, read 263,630 times
I haven't commuted it for work but an ex-coworker of mine did that commute for a year (Cary-Greeneville) when he took a job with ECU and hated it. He said he averaged closer to 2hrs each way and the pay was less than when he worked at UNC Chapel Hill but only left because of the job opportunity but was considering going back to UNC for obvious reason both more pay and way shorter travel. So you may want to consider living closer to Greenville as others suggested.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,499 times
When I went to ECU, I set up my classes to be only MWF or TuTh as I was still living with my parents in Raleigh. The days were long as I had class from around 9 to 5. Definitely wouldn't do it again. In fact, I only did it for one semester as it was that bad.

Wilson -> Greenville or Wilson -> Raleigh isn't too bad of a drive.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
if you were driving down Tuesday and returning to Cary Thursday night, and someone had a place for you to stay for free? Sure.

otherwise, going back and forth 3x a week? Like that would REALLY be better than 5x a week? Heck no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary