Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:58 PM

607 posts, read 2,423,561 times

Advertisements

Hey my daughter is signed up and put on a waiting list for the nursing program at Wake Tech, but alas, as in our old state of CA, it has a long wait list.

I looked for a "nursing school" and found Watts Nursing school. Does anyone know anything about this school??? Do you think it is worth the extra money???

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,118,098 times
I just know that it has been around a long time, as I was born in Watts Hospital in Durham. It no longer exists (the facility is now the School of Science and Math) but the nursing school obviously stuck around. However, I did a little searching and found this article interesting: || DukeMedNews || Watts School of Nursing Launches New Tuition Reimbursement Program

Old 07-21-2007, 11:28 PM

607 posts, read 2,423,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I just know that it has been around a long time, as I was born in Watts Hospital in Durham. It no longer exists (the facility is now the School of Science and Math) but the nursing school obviously stuck around. However, I did a little searching and found this article interesting: || DukeMedNews || Watts School of Nursing Launches New Tuition Reimbursement Program
Lurk;

That was such a great thing to send me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I will check it out on Monday, or rather, I will send my daughter out to check it.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:26 AM

556 posts, read 945,704 times
You might want to check out the Moderator cut: url removed I know when I was considering nursing schools and doing research, I read opinions and so on from some people in the program.

Last edited by autumngal; 03-14-2008 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: no forums please

Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 17,164 times
I recently moved to Raleigh and I am looking for a school that offers the LPN program. Does anybody know of any vocational schools in Raleigh that offers an LPN program? I appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks a million!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 AM

551 posts, read 2,280,703 times
CrazyQban - I don't know of anywhere that offers an LPN anymore. All of the programs I know of are 2-year RN programs or 4-year RN/BSN programs. Of course, there are NA programs as well. Any reason you're specifically looking for an LPN program instead of a 2 year RN? The job market is geared toward nearly all RN openings. A relative of mine moved here four years ago as an LPN and was not able to find a job.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 16,623 times
You might want to check out johnston community college. After the first year of their 2 year RN program, students are elligible to sit and take the exam to becom an LVN (same thing as an LPN). Finish the second year and you can become an RN. Problem is that on average I was told it takes 5 years to get into the program which is the case for most programs in the area except for watts. That's why I returned to another state for the nursing program!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 41,578 times
Default watts grad here

I loved my education at Watts. When I graduated Dec 06, I was in the last class to be a diploma grad. Now the school offers an assoc. degree through a partnership with Mt. Olive College. Its a real advantage if she does not have all the pre-recs out of the way, since it can all be done there.
Watts is a tough, traditional nursing school with a real emphasis placed on clinical nursing skills. I thanks my lucky stars (and my great nursing instructors) because every day I use the skills they drilled into me at Watts.
When she graduates she'll be well prepared to start work on the floor. I think its well worth the expense, and if she stays local to the NC area, she'll find a wonderful network of Watts alumni. The Watts name alone gets your resume put on the top of the list by some hiring managers. If my glowing reccomendation is not enough go to the NC board of Nurses web site and look at passing rates for the national boards (NCLEX). You'll see that Watts has one of the highest pass rates in the state.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,082,704 times
Get an RN not LPN/LVN.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 14,508 times
I heard that it was extremely difficult to get into the Watts program. I am currently completing a diploma in sterile processing and want to move into becoming an RN. Watts is the program that I am most interested in since they do have the tuition reimbursement program. I am currently studying for the entrance exam and plan to take it in December this year. Has anyone heard much about the qualifications to get into the RN program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary