Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 13,274 times

Advertisements

I am interested in knowing how people perceive the triangle, and its citizens. currently I am researching the general essence of the triangle. I have my personal opinion of Chapel-hill, Durham, Raleigh, and Cary but I think it just isn't comparable to outside perceptions. My personal perception is irrelevant however. To make this easier just comment on the following.

What makes Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill distinct concerning aesthetic and culture?

What is the difference in values shared by citizens in each city? Simply, how are the people in each city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:52 AM

792 posts, read 4,477,138 times
Have you tried browsing through old posts, or perhaps searching? Everything you would ever want to know (and more!) about "culture" has already been written multiple times.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,109,046 times
We have no cultural "vibe" in Cary. Those don't come in beige and are so large that they violate the sign ordinance.

I kid. I'd say we have a bit of a suburban melting pot vibe in Cary. It's as suburban as can be, but filled with people from all over the world.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,660,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Have you tried browsing through old posts, or perhaps searching? Everything you would ever want to know (and more!) about "culture" has already been written multiple times.
ditto to that

Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM

521 posts, read 1,595,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey420 View Post
What is the difference in values shared by citizens in each city? Simply, how are the people in each city?
There is no monolithic set of values shared by the residents of any of the cities or towns.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,747,084 times
My own "nutshell". These include Stereotypes:

Cary--cookie-cutter suburbs, but great for young families. SUVs adorned with soccer team and "My kid is a better honor student than yours" bumper stickers. Tons of new construction so not very mature landscaping in the endless suburbs and cul-de-sacs. Safe but boring as a "culture". The Galaxy Theatre has neat showings, including regular Bollywood films.

Chapel Hill--University town, lots of college kids but also lots of very educated retirees who can tend to be "intellectually snobby" about things. Highest cost of living and best schools in the state, so they say. Culture is good (indy theatres, lots of touring stuff comes to UNC, great Art facility on the campus. Neighboring Carrboro has a great Indy music scene, used to be nationally known as "the next best thing to Seattle" in the 90s. Many small theatre groups that show interesting plays you'll never see in a professional theatre.)

Durham--old reputation for crime but that is outdated. Very up-and-coming in the Arts. The Carolina Theatre is an amazing facility with a new Exec Director who has already made his mark on innovative and interesting programming as far as live appearances. Many film festivals in Durham such as the Jewish film festival, the NC Gay/Lesbian film festival, and the Full frame Documentary FF. Duke has a Film Studies program that probably shows a lot, too. Duke also gets a lot of touring shows; Durham Arts Council houses many, many community groups such as choruses, orechatras, jazz groups, art classes, musi lessons, etc. The Durham Savoyards have produced a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta annually for 48 seasons now. I live in Raleigh but am always driving to Durham for all of the Arts groups I am involved in. And don't forget the DPAC--brand new and already made the top 10 theatres nationwide in ticket sales, last year. Culturally, Durham is often described as "gritty", very diverse, interesting neighborhoods and mixing of races, economic groups, and origins. And dont' forget the Durham Bulls!

Raleigh--downtown is becoming more "urban" with restaurants and clubs; lots of condo buildings bring "urban-oriented" folks to the downtown area. Outside the Beltline is very suburban and fairly high- (though not completely-) transplant-occupied. Many of the same stereotypes as Cary has, to a lesser degree (in the 1980s, "North Raleigh" was characterized as EXACTLY the way Cary is now). Good Arts scene wtih all kinds of events such as First Friday, SPARKCon, HopScotch, etc but starting to be eclipsed by Durham for the more Broadway tour kinds of things. Still, Progress Energy center has three auditoriums always running with local and touring stage shows, operas, symphony, and ballet. The NC Art museum just had a large renovation that I hear is amazing, and the trails behind the museum are a must on a nice day, to see quirky sculptures along a nice nature trail. Many Indy theatres including the Rialto at Five Points, everyone's favorite. ITB (Inside the Beltline) demographic is still "old money" with the families who've lived here for generations. Nice old neighborhoods, big trees, etc. Still a "society page" mindset by some and less hospitible to newcomers than North Raleigh or Cary.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,213,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
There is no monolithic set of values shared by the residents of any of the cities or towns.
Agreed. Is there anywhere in this world? I don't think so.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 PM

915 posts, read 2,376,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And don't forget the DPAC--brand new and already made the top 10 theatres nationwide in ticket sales, last year.
Itt's actually two years in a row that the DPAC has made the top 10 theater ticket sales in the world.

More than 285,000 people paid to watch a show at the DPAC in 2010-- more than the entire population of Durham.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,046,282 times
Honestly, I think most of the triangle is pretty similar and the stereotypes of each are are pretty outdated. I think they were more "true" when the areas were still small and before growth really hit ALL of the triangle.
Chapel Hill has a reputation for being liberal, but the 3 of the most conservative, cookie cutter families I know live there. And the most of the people I know in Cary live in the downtown area, so they tend to be the polar opposite of how Cary is typically described. My husband works with lots corporate/tech business owners and execs (some local Cary and Raleigh-ites) and they are all moving to Durham. I just know way too many people who live in all of these areas who do not fit the typical stereotypes at all, which makes me believe they are in fact stereotypes and have little truth to them.

What I think people are more likely to find is that in each town/city, you're likely to find areas or neighborhoods that have different vibes, they just might be bigger or smaller depending on the city.

Last edited by lamishra; 02-15-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM

142 posts, read 282,710 times
Another great post, Francois! I definitely agree with all of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary