Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:44 PM

178 posts, read 549,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
This blog post is a bit long, but just a thought....

Brave Girls Club | Blog | We Must See Past What it Seems

This post will only take 5 minutes to read and it's well worth it. Very nice message.

Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
This blog post is a bit long, but just a thought....

Brave Girls Club | Blog | We Must See Past What it Seems
Wow....that story really brought tears to my eyes!!! I too drove by the "sale" on 98 this weekend and was appalled at the time however after reading the above blog I feel so bad. I think all of us have passed judgement at certain times in our lives and the fact of the matter is.......we have no clue what is going on in that persons life that may be causing them to do certain things or act a certain way. If only we took the time to find out WHY...............

Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Why would someone want to intrude on someone else's effort to make money that doesn't harm them? That is beyond me. Yeah, you might not like the look of her site or know if she is there legal or not, but since it doesn't meet your expectations you want it or her gone. Man, if it ain't the government its people.
With maybe the exception of the o.p. I don't think anyone wants her gone. I don't care what she does. I'm just curious as to what she's selling and how she ended up at that spot. I think everybody would understand if you actually saw her spot. The various traffic cones and safety tape she sets up when she's not there to prevent cars from turning in is hilarious. It really makes me want to drive through them. The problem with her being there is it's turning into a junk pile as she really doesn't have any item worth being sold, at least not what I saw.

Quote:
I drove past ... I think it was Sunday ... and the fire department was on the scene. With the dry conditions (and windy on that day) that could quickly make for a very, very bad situation.

Judging by the private property signs I would assume it's her private property to do with as she pleases, aside from any fire ordinances. One man's "junk"...! Today 04:47 PM
Fire code allows burning if being used for warmth or cooking as long as the fire is contained. She only burns in a burn barrel so she's legal to burn anytime she wants.
If it were her property the f.d. also couldn't force only advise her to extinguish the fire since it's in the county.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 PM

24 posts, read 64,331 times
I knew i would get some criticism for complaining. I'm simply saying...what's her story? Does she own that lot? Can she keep bringing more things? All valid questions, I think, for someone living near by. it's a pretty valid question.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:34 AM

Stop by and ask her. Heck, you might even find something to buy. She was not there yesterday afternoon or this morning or else I would have stopped.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,328 times
What if everyone who passes there (having read this thread) found something to buy? Wouldn't that just make her day? You don't have to want it or like it or keep it.......just keep driving and donate it at the nearest Goodwill stores (there's one at old 98 and Capital in WF).

Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
One thing I've learned in my life, which has been full of good, and bad, times. Is that everyone has a story.

Stop judging people, and start asking how you can help.

This is what our community USED to be like. Neighbors helping neighbors. Not complaing that they are selling stuff in their yard, not complaining that someone put solar panels on their house, not complaining about house paint.... but rather...HELPING each other.

Go talk to her. GO buy something from her. Even if you don't need it. Maybe see if she would like donations of things she can sell. If so, take her your stuff you don't want or need.

I see a lot of talk on this board about 'community' and 'how nice' people are. Stop talking about it and DO it. BE the person no one else wants to be. BE the one who CARES. STOP caring about the pointless BS and gossip. Make a difference. Even if its just to one person.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Nowhere did the OP say he/she was going to have her hauled off the spot. He asked if it's legal. He said it looks awful. I think it's a big leap for some posters to assume he's a hard-hearted Grinch who is trying to have her run out of town on a rail. I'd have exactly the same thoughts. I'm really curious as to what the ordinances are for stuff like that. Doesn't mean anything more than I'm curious.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Nowhere did the OP say he/she was going to have her hauled off the spot. He asked if it's legal. He said it looks awful. I think it's a big leap for some posters to assume he's a hard-hearted Grinch who is trying to have her run out of town on a rail. I'd have exactly the same thoughts. I'm really curious as to what the ordinances are for stuff like that. Doesn't mean anything more than I'm curious.
Probably because there were no follow up statements such as "I wonder if there's anything I can do to help".

Usually the "is it legal" questions are so that people can call the cops. Why else would you ask?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Stop judging people, and start asking how you can help.
Maybe you need to go back and re-read the thread. I did and can't find a single post where somebody "judged" this woman. TRUE: When you ride by the lot it looks like a pile of junk.

Quote:
Go talk to her. GO buy something from her. Even if you don't need it. Maybe see if she would like donations of things she can sell. If so, take her your stuff you don't want or need.

I see a lot of talk on this board about 'community' and 'how nice' people are. Stop talking about it and DO it. BE the person no one else wants to be. BE the one who CARES. STOP caring about the pointless BS and gossip. Make a difference. Even if its just to one person.
So now that you know where it is I assume you will ride out there and make a purchase from her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary