Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My grandmother was a patient and even died while at Dorthea Dix. The facilities were a god send to our family at the
My grandmother also was a patient at Dix. My mom's family moved to Raleigh from Elizabeth City in the 30's so that she could get the treatment she needed. I think it's a shame they're closing the doors at Dix for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,830 times
Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge. Does this mean that there will no longer be any inpatient facilities in Raleigh that will be able to "take" patients that cannot afford private care?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 PM

143 posts, read 363,713 times
Have you ever been in Butner? I am not sure if it has changed since my college days, but I had to go there and lead a group for a psych class. The group was fine, but what I saw while at Butner still brings haunting images and heebies. Lost souls on beds (maybe guerny rather than bed, was hard to tell difference) in the hallways, talking to no one, seeing visions that only they could see. I had never looked into someone's eyes and seen a vacuum until I went to Butner. Sorry to be a bummer, hope it has improved over the years. The staff was very nice and accommodating; there were just a lot of folks who were completely lacking functional capacity there and that was hard to see. It was a a harsh realization for the younger-more idealistic me- that sometimes you can't fix it, you just have to do the best you can to maintain and make them comfortable. I hope the folks at DD can be relocated successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
How is it a step backwards when we have Butner facility that will take over?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
This is heartbreaking. Like I said, I hadn't really been following the story closely, I just kept hearing that it was going to be closing "soon", and that community-based something-or-other was going to "take over". It seems like it's not going to work that way at all. I really wish there was a way for the hospital to remain open.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,949 times
The new Central Hospital facility in Butner is only two years old. I haven't seen any of the older facilities that Raleigh27612 was referencing, unless maybe it was one of the federal facilities up there? It is sad overall about the lack of funding and public support for mental health facilities. There's the private facility off Sunnybrook road that will take public patients, but it fills up fast. The state is building a new hospital to replace Cherry Hospital and its multiple outbuildings. Hopefully that will provide a much better facility for patients in that region.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 AM

75 posts, read 301,512 times
As a former employee of Dix, it saddens me to see it close. I was very proud to be part of the team that helped the patients that are so often forgotten by the community. Patients are routinely stuck in ER's as they wait for a bed in a hospital and staff are not prepared for working with their needs. The new hospitals have lost many of their most trained and dedicated staff due to the distance, including myself.

As far as the argument that the facilities were outdated and dangerous..... I went by by the two building that I used to work at and one has already been repainted,updated, and converted to state offices and the other one will be redone to become the site of the NC State Early College High School. Why couldn't they have done the same for the children with mental illness? Many of the children had families that required public transportation to come see them while they were hospitalized. Can you imagine trying to get public transportation to Butner or Goldsboro to visit your sick child?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM

143 posts, read 363,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighkc View Post
The new Central Hospital facility in Butner is only two years old. I haven't seen any of the older facilities that Raleigh27612 was referencing, unless maybe it was one of the federal facilities up there? It is sad overall about the lack of funding and public support for mental health facilities. There's the private facility off Sunnybrook road that will take public patients, but it fills up fast. The state is building a new hospital to replace Cherry Hospital and its multiple outbuildings. Hopefully that will provide a much better facility for patients in that region.
My experience was...oh my, 1988. Ouch. Much has probably changed since then, I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary