Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times

Advertisements

Anyone have kids at these schools? Have any pros/cons to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Martin is "to die for" I hear these days

Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 AM

73 posts, read 167,328 times
Well I know that Davis Drive set the standards on so many levels for Middle Schools and it was THE district to be in for so many years in Cary. I think their ABCs of Education was steadily at a grade of 98 or 99, but it has lost some of it's luster in recent years. Still a great school, but maybe with the opening of Mills Park nearby it is just not THE school to be at anymore. I think currently it's grade is 93 or 94… just a guess. Still way above Wake County's average and still IMO better than West Cary or East Cary.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM

260 posts, read 637,894 times
We go to Martin and love it. Good teachers and excellent offerings.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
My oldest goes to Martin and loves it.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
My daughter is in her first year at Davis Drive. So far, it has been a good experience. She had one poor teacher and he is gone.
One observation, and I don't think this is exclusive to Davis Drive, but once kids hit middle school, they quickly begin to become little adults. It makes me uneasy, to say the least.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
We have lots of friends and neighbors who go to East Cary and we have only heard wonderful things about it. It is YR and it's a traditional curriculum, so no long list of electives. Their score are slightly lower than the west Cary schools due to the higher number of FNR and ESL students, but given the more diverse demographics of the school, their scores are pretty good.
That's where we will be as well if we aren't accepted to a magnet for my youngest and I'm fine with it. I've also heard excellent things about the principal, teachers and staff. Several of my friends who have children there ARE teachers and seem very satisfied, so I feel pretty confident that it's a good school.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Default W Cary

Well, if ancient history matters, West Cary was the place be back in 79-82 when *I* was there.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
As S5 says, middle school is definately a place to "get through". Martin is our base, so we did not choose to go there (not that I even looked anywhere else) but we are very happy. Our dd is a dancer, creative type, so the electives are a bonus. Yes, it has some difficult kids (what MS doesn't) Yes, she has had some not so great teachers, but some have been amazing...something I think is true of many schools. I tend to be a hands off parent in MANY ways, so as long as my kid is getting good grades and fairly happy, I don't look much "under the cover"...if you know what I mean....so I may not be the best judge.
But I will tell you that the Principal at Martin runs a very tight ship discipline-wise.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 AM

118 posts, read 345,339 times
We started Davis Drive this year and love it. My son has had a really good experience so far and the teachers he has are really on the ball. They almost immediately came to me to ask for permission to do AG testing which is something I begged another state to do for years. They're very good at controlling student "traffic" in the hallways and before/after school which is where most middle school trouble begins. As people have said before, middle school is a minefield. No school is perfect, but we do love Davis Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary