Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,857 times

Advertisements

North Carolina is a great state, but if I had to choose again I'd probably have moved to Charlotte. Atlanta is my home, and while this area is great for many things, (i.e., retirees, students, families) I find as a single female that I'm a bit out of place. I moved here for a nursing job at the VA Medical Center, but after work I'm bored to death. The only thing that keeps me from dying a slow death is having a decent group of friends to talk to. If I told you how many places I've lived, you wouldn't believe me. But with each one, I've adapted and made it work; for some reason I've never been able to do that here. After 8 1/2 years, it still just doesn't feel like home. I can't acclimate. I'll be moving back to Atlanta at the end of this year mostly to be closer to my aging mom, but also because I just miss my city and all it has to offer. Never a dull moment in Atlanta. Guess it depends on what you're looking when you move somewhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:10 PM

256 posts, read 266,445 times
The weather is milder all along the east coast - it's been amazing in NY too as compared to previous years - not 70 degrees, but 50s and 60s until, well, the big Blizzard of 2016 hit LOL. Although there is still tons of snow here (we got 2 feet), it broke 49 degrees today. Totally weird!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:12 PM

256 posts, read 266,445 times
oh, right, pine pollen - when is the worst allergy season over there? my husband read somewhere that there is a tree that causes major allergies that some people can't live in NC! my husband has allergy issues, so I am just wondering....thanks!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Pine pollen isn't what causes the severe hayfever many people get here; it's a mixture of grass and other plant pollen that is invisible

The pine pollen is the large-grained deep yellow pollen that falls like snow in the spring. It basically turns everything yellow. It's one of the few reliably"open window" weather months we get here temperature wise...but if you leave your windows open your furniture, walls, floors, pets, etc.....will get coated with yellow dust. It looks nasty and you can feel it in your teeth and hair when you walk outside.....but it doesn't really cause allergies because it's too large to get into your system to release histamines.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 01-26-2016 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Pine Pollen does not bother me at all. My worst season is fall here.

The Pine Pollen is just a massive nuisance. You can't believe it till you see it.

It was close to 60 degrees even after dark here. So weird, but love it.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
oh, right, pine pollen - when is the worst allergy season over there? my husband read somewhere that there is a tree that causes major allergies that some people can't live in NC! my husband has allergy issues, so I am just wondering....thanks!
If I remember correctly, mid March to the end of April/beginning of May covers the major tree pollen up there.

Most people are not allergic to the pine pollen, however as with most things, I am the exception to that rule. Most people who have issues have it worse with oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary