Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 PM

61 posts, read 121,681 times

Advertisements

it probably wouldn't hurt to take some photos or video. who knows when you might need them.
i watch too much People's Court
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I would worry about someone suing you because it's your land. I'd be more afraid of them eventually legally being able to KEEP your land.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I think the possibility of a successful adverse possession claim in a typical suburban subdivision that has been platted, staked, recorded, surveyed, deeded, titled insured, etc. is extremely slim.

I also think the risk of liability for injury to someone "using" one's land is also not that significant, assuming there's nothing unusual about the land. Yes, hypothetically it could happen, just like it could hypothetically happen in your front yard - does that hypothecial risk lead you to fence off your entire yard and keep everyone away because you're afraid you might get sued? Probably not.

As for dealing with the neighbor, I think a friendly conversation between neighbors can go a long way toward resolving most situations if people are reasonable.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think the possibility of a successful adverse possession claim in a typical suburban subdivision that has been platted, staked, recorded, surveyed, deeded, titled insured, etc. is extremely slim.

I also think the risk of liability for injury to someone "using" one's land is also not that significant, assuming there's nothing unusual about the land. Yes, hypothetically it could happen, just like it could hypothetically happen in your front yard - does that hypothecial risk lead you to fence off your entire yard and keep everyone away because you're afraid you might get sued? Probably not.

As for dealing with the neighbor, I think a friendly conversation between neighbors can go a long way toward resolving most situations if people are reasonable.
I agree. Adverse possession must be "open and notorious" and exclusive. There is no way in heck that they are going to just plant some grass, have a cornhole game once a year, and then be able to claim it is theirs in 20 years. They would need to put a shed, fence or some other improvements there in order to make the possession continuous and exclusive.

As long as the neighbor agrees to stop using the land and does so, there is no need for a letter. If the neighbor does not stop, then you would need to get the legal system involved and a cease and desist letter will merely be a first step.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:20 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
You are all missing the obvious. The clear answer to the problem is to build an electrified fence on the property line with lasers, air horns, and gun turrets.

It's the only way.
Still the best answer on the thread.

But seriously, it sounds like no big deal. All the adverse possession and lawsuit talk is hot air. I'm not taking that case if someone calls me, and I don't know anyone else who would, either.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Whoops. I mean I WOULD NOT wory about someone suing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I would worry about someone suing you because it's your land. I'd be more afraid of them eventually legally being able to KEEP your land.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times
The friendly conversation with your neighbor sounds like a good start to me.

You may also want to talk to your insurance agent. By allowing others to party on your property, you may be assuming the risk if someone gets hurt.

We were sued by a family because their daughter claimed she fell out of a bunk bed at our house during a sleepover. The bunk bed was piled with backpacks and belongings and all the girls were in sleeping bags on the floor when we went to bed. She claimed she climbed up into the bunk bed in the middle of the night and then fell off onto the radiator and hurt her jaw. There were no bruises and the next day she was eating baby carrots, so I have my doubts about the whole thing but that's another story.

Our insurance company paid her family thousands of dollars because they stated it would be more expensive to fight the lawsuit than to settle. They stated the family had several lawsuits going against various people and businesses and advised us to not allow anyone from this family on our property again.

We were not negligent, nor did the family claim that we were. Only that their daughter had gotten hurt on our property.

Check with your insurance agent about the liability you are assuming by allowing people to party on your property.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,211 times
I have an encroachment issue as well. I have a neighbor that I've told on numerous occasions to stop planting on my property because im going to put in a driveway for my large trailer. I perform brush clearance twice every year and they have made it very diffcult to complete my task with these shrubs theyve put in. They have additionally added a few big rocks and sprinklers which were never discussed with me either. I have a small tractor that can remove all the trees and rocks but what other kind of recourse do I have??? I just want their stuff out of their and I willl build my driveway. This has been a growing problem for about three years now. Why do people think its ok to plant/add shrubs/sprinklers and rocks on someone elses property? These property lines are clearly defined. what now?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfamilyincary View Post
We have a kind of weird situation. Our lot behind our house is pretty large (0.4 acre) and it's all woods. We noticed a few days ago that one of our neighbors in the back has planted a pretty large area of very nice grass that is clearly on our property. They used this area for playing corn hole at a party they had on Saturday.

I completely don't mind them using our land at all. I'm just concerned about this being a problem in the future with adverse possession, etc.

Would this bother you? What would you do? I figure I'll go talk to them about it eventually when I see them in the back yard again.

It just seems really weird to plant a big section of grass that is clearly outside of your (their) own property. Do you think they know it's our land?
Was this ever resolved by OP?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon288 View Post
I Why do people think its ok to plant/add shrubs/sprinklers and rocks on someone elses property? ?
Because you're letting them.

If you are all in agreement about the property line, then just plow YOUR PROPERTY as you wish. What's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary