U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 AM

108 posts, read 493,126 times

Advertisements

Well, we are moving from California to Creedmoor, NC. I thought I had done my research and found a good moving company. But once they got my stuff loaded they told me the price was going from $3800 to $7200....which was Friday night. Then get a call today have to pay everything by cash - they will not honor my check. They quoted me $3800 at 8000 lbs...but said I had closer to 15000 lbs and cut me a deal at $7200??

What has everybody else paid? Did they lowball the price to get the business? Or is it an unrealistic figure? We packed the goods, they just load and unload.

Well, we have time to try to do something - goods are scheduled to arrive Friday, we leave first thing Monday morning. Any advice or similar experiences?

The company is Across America Moving and Storage, based out of North Hollywood, CA...anyone dealt with them before?

I'll check the board before I leave - then at the hotel at the end of day 1...any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by autumngal; 01-21-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,185,055 times
Looks like they have a bad rating with the BBB
Company Report

Old 07-23-2007, 04:55 AM

5,527 posts, read 8,782,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentwoodBoy View Post
Well, we are moving from California to Creedmoor, NC. I thought I had done my research and found a good moving company. But once they got my stuff loaded they told me the price was going from $3800 to $7200....which was Friday night. Then get a call today have to pay everything by cash - they will not honor my check. They quoted me $3800 at 8000 lbs...but said I had closer to 15000 lbs and cut me a deal at $7200??

What has everybody else paid? Did they lowball the price to get the business? Or is it an unrealistic figure? We packed the goods, they just load and unload.

Well, we have time to try to do something - goods are scheduled to arrive Friday, we leave first thing Monday morning. Any advice or similar experiences?

The company is Across America Moving and Storage, based out of North Hollywood, CA...anyone dealt with them before?

I'll check the board before I leave - then at the hotel at the end of day 1...any advice would be appreciated.
Did you get a "Not to Exceed" estimate or just a regular estimate? If not then that was your first mistake. They come in and guesstimate how much stuff you have, plus you never get to see them weigh anything. Right now you are stuck because they already have your stuff and the best thing I can suggest is to either use a credit card (they have to explain up front your payment options) but I would not give them cash. I would rather get my stuff back and if they don't call the cops.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:14 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,826,157 times
You're being scammed without a doubt.

Check the forums at this site Moderator cut: url removed to see what your options are and what other people have done in the same situation.

Check this site as well - looks like you can get help from them -

MoveRescue

Quote:
MoveRescue was created to assist those who have been deceived by unscrupulous moving companies.

The common practices of the "rogue mover" are:

• to "low-ball" the original price

• to hold your belongings "hostage" for more money

• to store your items in an undisclosed warehouse

• to possibly skip town - with your belongings
They offer a service to help people in your situation - MoveRescue: Shipment Rescue Qualifications.

It looks like you can't be required to pay more than 110% of a non-binding estimate at time of delivery -

Quote:
If you have a non-binding estimate, the moving company cannot require you to pay more than the amount of the original estimate, plus 10 percent, at the time of delivery. You are obligated to pay any remaining charges, over the 110 percent amount, upon receipt of the carrier's invoice that will be sent 30 days after delivery of your shipment. This includes charges for any additional services you requested or required to properly service your shipment.
I found a list of certified movers here -

AMSA Certified Mover and Van Line Program (broken link)

Across America isn't on the list, so I definitely recommend calling MoveRescue. At least you have a few days to do something.. good luck.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-29-2008 at 06:35 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,002,576 times
Default Too good to be true.

Quote:
.... They quoted me $3800 at 8000 lbs...but said I had closer to 15000 lbs and cut me a deal at $7200??

.... What has everybody else paid? Did they lowball the price to get the business? Or is it an unrealistic figure? We packed the goods, they just load and unload.
What were the competing estimates? I received three and all of them estimated the load to be about the same so I was comfortable with that number. Also, the prices were all roughly the same with some variations that allowed one to separate from the pack.

As for whether or not they low balled the price, yeah they did. The original quote was off the charts based on my recent experience.

Lastly I would think your biggest problem isn't paying the difference but rather the fact that this outfit is unscrupulous. I wouldn't trust them to pick up my garbage let alone handle my possessions. I would definitely explore the MoveRescue options mentioned earlier.

Good luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:54 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,515,611 times
Try the NC state attorney general's office. Perhaps they can set up a way to have the state police show up at unload time and review the weight receipts to see if your shipment was really the charged weight.

This nightmare has come about after the ICC was disbanded by the feds leaving interstate moving a stinking cesspool.

Sometimes local police may intimidate these lowlives into reducing the bill. might try them too.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 AM

22 posts, read 88,141 times
Wow - we used ABF Trucking's U-Pack service when we moved from MI to NC, it was only 1100 bucks and they were completely honest, reliable and on time

Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 AM

108 posts, read 493,126 times
Thanks for all the info - will definitely check out Move Rescue and see what can be done...........

Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,826,157 times
There is a number to call on the MoveRescue website.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,590,272 times
Quote:
We hired Allied from Portland to Durham. We went with them because they gave us a not to exceed bid. I think they estimated our stuff at 8500 pounds and we paid about $6500. One of the bids we got was much lower than the others so I checked them on the BBB. They were one of the scam companies. All the legit ones were within $500 of each other.... so we went with the not to exceed bid.

Good luck to you. If all else fails call on your city data buddies.... we could show up in mass and make the guy unload the truck for the original bid. LOL. I could have my kids whine at them until the driver relents. They are good at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary