Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 AM

18 posts, read 78,600 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have to get a wisdom tooth extracted and the oral surgeon my dentist referred me to said that he will not do it without putting me under general aenesthesia. I had one taken out a few years ago in my hometown and the dentist did it with just Novocaine - a little freaky when he cracked my tooth apart but didn't hurt at all. And it wasn't erupted, so it wasn't just pulling a typical tooth...

I am concerned about the anesthesia because I have never had that before, plus I would have to ask my sister to take off work to drive me home. (Surgeon said I could take a cab but not sure I am comfortable with that - would still have to get up to a third floor apartment alone).

So if anyone could recommend an oral surgeon that doesn't insist on general anesthesia please let me know!

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 AM

169 posts, read 574,778 times
I don't have an oral surgeon to recommend - my extractions were done before I moved here. But like you, I've had a couple of teeth extracted with just the novocaine (heard the cracking too) and didn't have any problems. If the surgeon can't give you a medical reason for general anesthesia, I would definitely find someone else. It's not worth putting your body (and your sister) through that just because it's the surgeon's preference. Does your dentist have someone else else they could refer you to?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
i dont let them do a cleaning without putting me out.... LOL

but then i have a very unhealthy dental phobia, so thats the only way i can get through it. and xanax.

xanax is my friend when it comes to dr dentist time.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 AM

143 posts, read 363,713 times
I had all four taken out, two of them sideways, at the same time with local anesthetic (lidocaine or xylocaine). I am not sure why general anesthesia would be required for one tooth. I'll send you a recommendation via direct message.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
My husband and I have both had one pulled with just a local by a dentist here in Cary. Not sure of your location, but I'll PM you his name. He's great. it was the most painless extraction I've ever had. And mine was also cracked.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM

73 posts, read 167,404 times
^^same here meh! Maybe we go to the same dentist. Just local for two extractions for me and I also had local for an implant so they may do wisdom teeth as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalGal View Post
^^same here meh! Maybe we go to the same dentist. Just local for two extractions for me and I also had local for an implant so they may do wisdom teeth as well.
Our dentist did one for our son with only local.

He felt the other 3 had problem roots and sent him to an oral surgeon for general.

Worked out well.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed with just Novacaine on an emergency basis, and no painkillers later. I survived. I wouldn't recommend it, though. I couldn't lift my head off the pillow for a week.

I never saw a dentist work so hard or sweat so much.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
OMG, I had two wisdom teeth removed by the Chief of Oral Surgery at Chapel Hill with only novacaine. If he can do it, why can't your dentist?

Find another dentist!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:45 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
OMG, I had two wisdom teeth removed by the Chief of Oral Surgery at Chapel Hill with only novacaine. If he can do it, why can't your dentist?
I'm amazed at the people on here 2nd-guessing an oral surgeon. Could it be possible that not every wisdom tooth is the same, and that some can be removed with only local anesthetic and others can't? Obviously the OP should get a 2nd opinion if he doesn't want general anesthesia but statements like the above are just silly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary