Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM

53 posts, read 131,575 times

Advertisements

I've been "shopping" online for a while for a one-level single home, 1,800 sq ft with 3 bd/2ba plus a yard of no less than 10,000 sq ft close to everything, and to my surprise I have a hard time to see one-level homes with no septic. Why so many houses in this are have septic and wells? I appreciate any input. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
As a general rule, large lots tend to be rural. Infrastructure costs (water and sewer pipe) get greater as you leave the city and the prorated cost per lot is greater (you pass fewer homes per foot of pipe). Also many watershed areas prohibit "city" water and sewer.

Exceptions abound, but that's why you see what you are seeing. Many places also have "community well and/or septic" - which you might find more appealing.

Frank

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
I've been "shopping" online for a while for a one-level single home, 1,800 sq ft with 3 bd/2ba plus a yard of no less than 10,000 sq ft close to everything, and to my surprise I have a hard time to see one-level homes with no septic. Why so many houses in this are have septic and wells? I appreciate any input. Thank you all.
My assumption: The quarter-acre requirement may be pushing you out to more rural areas that have not been annexed and don't have utility service.

You may be able to find those larger lots in core areas of Raleigh, Durham, and other cities, or in older developments (1970s-early 1990s) in cities as well as Cary and other suburbs, but much new development in both cities and suburbs has been on smaller lots.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
If you are searching for more yard than the usual .24 or .17 of an acre, you will find that those n'hoods are further out and therefore have no city utilities.

Some may have community well and private septic. Some will have private well and private septic.

Vicki

Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post

NC is still a pretty rural state, even though we do have a few large cities. Wells and septic are found in areas right around our cities, and even in them still, because they are more affordable than city infrastructure to install.

Don't fear having a septic system - they are no big deal

Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 AM

151 posts, read 462,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't fear having a septic system - they are no big deal
I agree. We've had our house for four years and have never had a problem with our septic and well. And if you do, it's easy to find a person to maintain it for you. Since there are a lot of septics/wells out here, there are a lot of people who specialize in maintaining them.

You do want to find out the maintence history on your septic and your well. Also, ask how many gallons per minute the well pumps, and find out if there have been any drought related issues with the well drying up. We had a severe drought a few years ago and some wells did dry up.

The only complaint I have about being off the grid is the cost of heating. Propane is hugely expensive. Keep that in mind when you are looking at houses.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Look in an older neighborhood in the city (cities) you like. They're less likely to have well and septic, if you'd really prefer to have public utilities.

One thing worth noting is that if you are in the North Raleigh/Wake Forest area, and the house has a well, there's a water service out that way (I forget the name of it) that has been in the news because while they were pumping out water during the last drought, they seemed to be depleting the water table, so some folks had wells that were running dry.

Food for thought.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFran View Post
I agree. We've had our house for four years and have never had a problem with our septic and well. And if you do, it's easy to find a person to maintain it for you. Since there are a lot of septics/wells out here, there are a lot of people who specialize in maintaining them.

You do want to find out the maintence history on your septic and your well. Also, ask how many gallons per minute the well pumps, and find out if there have been any drought related issues with the well drying up. We had a severe drought a few years ago and some wells did dry up.

The only complaint I have about being off the grid is the cost of heating. Propane is hugely expensive. Keep that in mind when you are looking at houses.

Good luck!

We keep our heating costs down tremendously by using a woodstove The initial outlay is expensive (ours was over $3000.) but it is well worth it for what you save over time.

We bought a woodstove rated to heat up to our particular square footage and it really works. My heat pump rarely even comes on and my winter bills have been very low! They are much safer than fireplaces as you can actually go to bed with the fire still going. We absolutely love the warmth and the cost savings .

Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Somewhat afield from the original request but do *not* consider propane as your primary heat source in NC. Just not cost effective at all.
If natural gas is available, consider it by all means.

Frank

Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Somewhat afield from the original request but do *not* consider propane as your primary heat source in NC. Just not cost effective at all.
If natural gas is available, consider it by all means.

Frank
agreed!

My parents gave up on their propane tank and switched to a wood stove (they live in a little 2-bedroom 1940's house over in Wake Forest).

The cost savings is tremendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary