Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
thanks for the words..the way the forums make it sound its as if you are moved every year. Gated I could take or leave..just threw it out there. If you cannot find a 5 bedroom for 500k, that doesnt sound right....we researched realtor.com and zillow and there appears to be plenty of inventory..but again, will rent for a year, I guess the houses that are showing up...are not in the best subdivisions.

Could anyone recc a particular subdivision that they fell in love with and why. 5 bedrooms really is a must. Basements as well..because I need a home office.
The 5 bedroom home is easy to find in Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs.
5 bedrooms with a basement is a little more difficult, but they are also out there. They will tend to be at the upper end of your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
One thing to keep in mind when renting is - again - you may rent in an area that is assigned to say - Davis Drive Elementary, and then find a house that's assigned to - say - Green Hope Elementary. Just because places are in close proximity to each other does not mean they will go to the same elementary school. This is the single biggest thing that makes re-locating here with children so difficult. It's not like NY where you can say "OK, I want to live in the Woodbury Central school district so I can rent on this side of town and just start looking for houses within the district". Here you can rent in Cornerstone Apartments in Cary and your kids go to Davis Drive and then you can buy a house a mile away in Berkely subdivision and your kids would have to switch schools. So, renting is not a great option if your kids are already in school. If they are little and not in school yet then by all means this is a great option.

When we were looking, we decided what was important to us - we didn't want an area that is currently building, but we didn't want anything more than about 15 years old. We wanted updated since we were moving from a completely renovated house. We wanted at least .3 acres, we wanted a subdivisiion with a pool, we wanted 4 bedrooms. We wanted to be close to "daily" shopping - grocery, drugstore, bank, Target. Once you get a wish list together, it really, REALLY helps narrow down where you can look. Commute not an issue for us so that helped.

Good luck with your search. It really is a nice area, but looking from a-far can be daunting.

Last edited by twingles; 02-24-2011 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
**is there another district that is a "close second" to wake county that should be considered.
Have you considered Chapell Hill or Carrboro? (Although I think some people would snicker in referring to the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools as a "close second" to Wake County. )

Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Have you considered Chapell Hill or Carrboro? (Although I think some people would snicker in referring to the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools as a "close second" to Wake County. )
If the OP is looking for a 5br/3b house with a basement in a neighborhood with full amenities and good schools for 300-500k in Cary?

I'm thinking that's gonna be even harder to achieve in CH/Carrboro.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
Quote:
thanks for the words..the way the forums make it sound its as if you are moved every year.
Don't go by a poster's anecdotal evidence for all of WCPSS. The WCPSS is a good resource. There is a lot of information on there.

WCPSS:Board Approves 2009-12 Multi-year Assignment Plan

Quote:
Goals for the Assignment Process
The recommendations made by staff are rooted in Board Policy 6200. The policy calls on staff to utilize six factors in making recommendations.

The six factors are:

•Create balance across schools in the distribution of students who have higher needs
•Seek optimal utilization of each school’s long-range capacity and reduce utilization of mobile or modular classrooms
•Improve alignment of student assignment with the objectives of the Magnet School Program
•Whenever possible move students together across levels and adhere to K-5, 6-8, 9-12
•Whenever possible assign for at least three years•Consider proximity of nodes to assigned schools

Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,703 times
There are cases of people getting reassigned more often than every 3 years but they are not the norm. That's little consolation when you're the one it happens to, though. However, it's always been the norm that you should not be too surprised if you're reassigned. Now that we are no longer reassigning kids based on diversity, it will get more predictable. Things will get better eventually, but honestly I would seriously look at Durham, Chapel Hill & Johnston County as well as Wake.

As for houses--like others have said, basements are hard to find. Lots of houses have finished 3rd floors instead of basements & bonus rooms and 1st floor offices are also pretty common. Sometimes the 1st floor office is a formal living room that has been closed off with french doors and sometimes it is an additional room on the 1st floor designed to be an office or den.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary