U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM

819 posts, read 935,767 times

Advertisements

I was just there this afternoon too, and had to tell my wife since she's looking to add to her flock this spring. Just two hens and a banty rooster right now, and they're not keeping him busy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 PM

904 posts, read 1,442,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Thx for the laugh with the thread title

BTW - Tractor supply in Knightdale on business 64 has them every spring. They also sell ducks. Love going in the store. I bought my chickens there last yr and get ducks every yr for our pond.
So what happens to the ducks that you need to buy new ones every year....duck soup?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 PM

503 posts, read 853,938 times
Awwww....that reminds me of the two chicks I got one Easter--a green one and an orange one. After a few weeks, they had to go live in the country at my uncle's place.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 PM

10,419 posts, read 18,101,033 times
I used to get a pink chick for Easter! We used to call them "biddies"

Vicki

Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM

9,091 posts, read 18,920,818 times
Wow, I didn't realize people use to give these as gifts!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:48 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,798,232 times
they look delicious!

Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 PM

2,550 posts, read 3,090,374 times
A colored biddy was always a popular item for the Easter Bunny to leave on Easter when I was a kid. Every dime store in downtown Raleigh sold them. I'm afraid the outcome for those little cuties wasn't always that good

Old 02-26-2011, 07:57 PM

3,661 posts, read 4,062,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
So what happens to the ducks that you need to buy new ones every year....duck soup?
haha...you'll be sorry you asked Nope...hawks got two of them. It's like The Wild Kingdom in our subdivision The cold killed the last pekin in January, and snapping turtles bit the legs and underbelly of 3 of them and we couldn't capture them to get them taken care of. I had 2 I gave away last summer as i made the fatal mistake of letting them live too long in my yard and they wouldn't adjust to the lake and kept coming back to my house and eating my plants and digging holes around the foundation of my house - blasted Indian Runner (crazy) duck! This happens less when you raise one at a time.

Now we have loads of geese if you are any good at cooking those

Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM

3,661 posts, read 4,062,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
Awww...

My neighbors just got their chickens recently, the coop is being build as I type... I can't wait to see the setup, I've been toying with the idea of urban chickens.
If you get them, be prepared for flies There is a local guy who makes an excellent coop and will sell you the plans if you prefer to make your own. I think it's the best design out there for a small space - wish I'd have used him, would have saved tons of time with assembly. And his design is makes an easy to move coop as the materials are lighter weight. Catawba ConvertiCoops offers chicken coop plans, kits, and coops Also, if you let them run in the yard be prepared for hawks, and other predators.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM

58 posts, read 93,385 times
*sigh* I wish Cary would let us have chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary