Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,633,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshinokaze View Post
@ Tiger-eye: Thanks, that's awesome info. I will definitely use this, as you have described me perfectly as a renter

@ hopefulx3: Yeah, I saw Progress was there and cringed a little thinking of my bills down here, but that's good to hear.

@miamiblue: Thank you! I'll certainly be happy to have several grocery chains to choose from, we only seem to have Publix down here for the most part, and their selection is kinda meh, especially on fresh fruit and veggies. Suprisingly I've not been able to find a farmer's market around here either, so I'm looking forward to maybe having that. (Used to have it in TN, it was AMAZING what you could get there for $20).
Yes, farmer's markets are rare in FL for some reason, and I would think that Ocala of all places would be more likely to have one.

You will be happy to hear there area a variety of farmer's markets in the area, as well as Community Supported Agriculture farms (CSAs) that you can subscribe to. The huge NC State Farmer's Market is located in Raleigh and is open 7 days a week, but there are several other local markets in many of the towns in the Triangle. You really can't beat bell peppers for under $1 at the markets when the grocery stores are charging $3-$4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 AM

79 posts, read 93,928 times
Well, I got some good news today, I renegotiated my offer and now will be making a tad more! Looks like I will be hitting the area next week to find a place to live....and then moving the week after that...yikes the stress :P

Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM

76 posts, read 303,566 times
Quote:
Well, I got some good news today, I renegotiated my offer and now will be making a tad more! Looks like I will be hitting the area next week to find a place to live....and then moving the week after that...yikes the stress :P
Awesome - glad you got more! Yay for negotiation!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
That's great news. Congrats!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
On car insurance, FL is a no-fault state so insurance is high. Plus NC has a couple neat little cavets that really help keep our car insurance rates lower than the average.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 AM

770 posts, read 2,750,642 times
I insure 2 cars for $75 a month here

Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,142,569 times
Our budget for 2 is under $1000 plus food and fuel for one month.

We use magic jack ($20 year) phone
cable / internet $100
electric $120 or less
water-- $25 month (no sewer have septic)
NO GAS
rent less than $800
insurance (2 cars / renters) less than $100 month

Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,540,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
On car insurance, FL is a no-fault state so insurance is high. Plus NC has a couple neat little cavets that really help keep our car insurance rates lower than the average.
Keep in mind NC is one of two states nationwide that does not allow accident forgiveniss. This allows insurance companies to not jack up your rates if you get into one accident not less than 5 years apart.

I had a fender bender last year (my fault) which was my first accident in 16 years of driving. It was litterally a 2 mph bump which cost me an extra $500 to fix my car and raised my insurance $600 a year for 3 years! Before that I was paying about $900 a year for a brand new $38,000 SUV and a 4 year old Mazda. Now we're paying about $1,500 a year. Still reasonable I assume, but sucks none the less. Had I been living back in VA my rate would have stayed the same.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Keep in mind NC is one of two states nationwide that does not allow accident forgiveniss. This allows insurance companies to not jack up your rates if you get into one accident not less than 5 years apart.

I had a fender bender last year (my fault) which was my first accident in 16 years of driving. It was litterally a 2 mph bump which cost me an extra $500 to fix my car and raised my insurance $600 a year for 3 years! Before that I was paying about $900 a year for a brand new $38,000 SUV and a 4 year old Mazda. Now we're paying about $1,500 a year. Still reasonable I assume, but sucks none the less. Had I been living back in VA my rate would have stayed the same.
Wow that does suck! I didn't realize that. We pay around $480/yr for two cars here in NC, here's to hoping we don't get into any accidents.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 PM

79 posts, read 93,928 times
Well, that seems to certainly be to the benefit of us super safe drivers! Now watch me get in an accident D:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary