Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM

49 posts, read 251,967 times

Advertisements

Are there any Dad friendly playgroups in southern wake county? (fuquay, HS, Cary, Apex) I'm scouring the usual places (meetup, etc.) as well but not having a lot of luck so far.

We have wonderful 2-year-old twins (boy/girl) who would benefit from some social interaction on weekday mornings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Good luck! I tried to find something 2 years ago and was not successful. There is a daddies version of the popular "triangle mommies" group, but they did not seem to organize playgroups. All of their discussions were about sports etc.

When you go to the parks/playgrounds, 9 times out of 10 it is all mothers clustering together and socializing. It was a rare treat to go and find a dad to talk to for a while.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM

In addition, the daddies version of triangle mommies appears to have died out. I've approached triangle mommies about segmenting their group to have "info for everyone", "info for moms" and "info for dads" so that Moms can still have a private section (I totally understand the need for such), but they weren't interested.

I have no problem if most of the parents in the playgroup are Moms (and agree it would be a rare treat if other Dads were involved). I fully expect that will be the case. I'm focused on doing what's best for our children and that includes finding them some healthy social outlets.

Thank you for the luck, I suppose it may be needed!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacaroniDuck View Post
I've approached triangle mommies about segmenting their group to have "info for everyone", "info for moms" and "info for dads" so that Moms can still have a private section (I totally understand the need for such), but they weren't interested.
Why do they need to segment it? Just join in and come up with some clever username like "dadoftwins" Do you think that the moderators will let you in if they know you have a penis?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 AM

They've made it clear they are for Mommies only. I'm not interested in circumventing their rules in a deceitful way. Like I said, I completely understand the need for moms to have their own private space. That's why I suggested the "segmenting". So that ALL parents could have access to their excellent general information about local resources and activities while Mom's could still have a private space for those that want/need it.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
They've made it clear they are for Mommies only.
Yeah. I figured that. They seem very cliquish. I've heard complaints that they want to know your address so that they can verify you are a "Triangle" mommy also. Even if your wife created the account and you also used it, I'm sure you'd get the cold shoulder if you went to an event without your wife.

I ended up just taking my son to Crowder Park every day, as long as it wasn't raining and the temp was above freezing, to play with other kids.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:43 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
Quote:
They've made it clear they are for Mommies only.
sounds like a big group of snobs, if you ask me. be glad they DON'T want you

what if you try to start up your own meetup group - just make it focused more on kids than sports talk (imo thats no better than yapping about soaps LOL)

theres a LOT of stay at home dads in the area, or dads who work a swing shift, so they are home during the day and work in the evening.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 AM

97 posts, read 385,059 times
I'd suggest just getting out there. It takes time to meet new people and I imagine it's even harder for a stay at home dads but it can be done. i still consider myself "new" to the area and we've been here almost 3 years. It took almost a year of going to library story times to finally click with some ladies. I've seen dad's there too and I always try to say hi, I'm sure if you went to the library and saw another dad there they would be anxious to talk to you you too. I think the park is a great place to go too, after a while you start to see the same people there and can strike up a conversation.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 PM

49 posts, read 91,376 times
Trianglemommies isn't for everyone. I know that I couldn't stand the environment. I tried twice, it just wasn't for me. Unfortunately, every time I try to find something similar, I'm referred right back to that site! Go figure. I hope you find something that allows dad's. Any tech skills? You could always start a competing site. lol.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmom3 View Post
Trianglemommies isn't for everyone. ..... Any tech skills? You could always start a competing site. lol.

boy isnt that the truth, i tried once. that was enough.

and yeah- seriously good idea!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary