Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 AM

81 posts, read 137,919 times

Advertisements

As part of looming budget cuts for the next two years,the North Carolina Olympiad funding is being eliminated.Most of the area schools,both public and private as well as homeschooled kids participate in this competetition.What a shame!!The link is here.

http://www.icontact-archive.com/bbUS...6afeb70fb27d,0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 PM

214 posts, read 695,002 times
Thats terrible, that is a really great program that keeps a lot of kids interested in science.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I wonder how long Governor's School will last. It has to be pretty expensive, as it's free. At least it was free when I attended ages ago. It's an awesome program but it amounts to a state funded summer camp.

Governor's School of North Carolina

Governor's School of North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,730 times
Gov school isn't free anymore....It was an amazing opportunity, wasn't it?

I suspect it still is and I would pay for my daughter to go....

Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC11 View Post
As part of looming budget cuts for the next two years,the North Carolina Olympiad funding is being eliminated.Most of the area schools,both public and private as well as homeschooled kids participate in this competetition.What a shame!!The link is here.

http://www.icontact-archive.com/bbUS...6afeb70fb27d,0
Elections have consequences. So do recessions. Yes, this comes from Gov. Perdue's budget, though I suspect we'd have more options if she had more revenue options at hand (which she doesn't). But we're about to see much, much more.

We are on the verge of assaults on the rights of communities like Cary, Raleigh and Durham to ban billboards; handouts for more charter schools that don't hold them to the same standards or expectations as public schools; and red-meat amendments against gay rights. And: massive education funding cuts.

It is going to be a very interesting two years.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Gov school isn't free anymore....It was an amazing opportunity, wasn't it?

I suspect it still is and I would pay for my daughter to go....
Yes it was amazing. After reading your post I found this:

Quote:
  1. Governor's School traditionally has been fully funded by the General Assembly of North Carolina. Recent economic conditions have resulted in the General Assembly reducing funding and imposing a $500 tuition for each student, beginning with the 2010 Governor's School. Families are responsible for the transportation costs to and from the campuses and for their children's spending money. Submission of tuition payments will be the responsibility of the Nominating Entity that nominates students. However, these schools/school systems have great flexibility on how they choose to access and collect tuition funds. This may include requesting families to cover some or all tuition costs. Details on tuition payment options and procedures have been sent to schools and school systems.
  2. Is tuition refundable?
    No.
$500 relative to housing and feeding someone for six weeks in addition to activities still seems cheap, so I imagine the costs is still subsidized. That still begs the question will it be increased even more or eventually done away with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary