Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM

120 posts, read 296,167 times

Advertisements

Hello. It's been 6 months now that we have lived in the Triangle. I have read a ton on this forum & seen a lot in my sales travels. I really like the area but I still don't feel at home yet? I guess I was hoping to adapt to the area and change quicker, but I still feel like a stranger in a strange land. We moved from DE/PA/NJ and NC is so much better for so many reasons. I guess I was just looking for some other relos to talk with & compare notes...

So what brings you to the area? How has your experience been? Any tips or must do things to help get a better feel for the area? What area/nhood did you migrate too? Any Yankee fans out there????

Please no negativity...it's just lame nonsense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,258,404 times
I'm from NJ and live in N. Raleigh. I've been here for almost 6 years now and love it. My wife and I moved here for work related reasons.

Six months in a new area isn't that long. I find I don't start to feel at home until at least a year goes by and you start experiencing your second this and that (second Christmas in Raleigh, second summer ...)

I don'r know what you like to do, but my advice is to get out there and do stuff. Visit the State Farmer's Market, Go downtown and eat at a fun reastaurant and check out art on First Fridays, visit the NC State Flea Market, go to one of the local breweries for a tour, catch a Durham Bulls game ect...

Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,213,710 times
I was 3 years old. I had no choice. No one even asked my opinion. I thank my parents every day for making me a Southerner!!! (wink wink)

Vicki (happy smiley face)

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 AM

279 posts, read 701,676 times
We moved because we wanted to be able to afford a home and I complained of the snow quite a bit. We have been here almost 3 years (July). I have tried to make it feel like home and it doesn't. I also miss my family immensely and plan to go back. I have gone out there and tried to make friends. I have acquaintances, but nobody that wants to hang out with us. We hosted one cookout and it was never reciprocated. We are YANKEES fans however. ;-)
We have one more year before we can sell our house (or at least try to sell it).
Good luck to you.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,762,361 times
Job offer and relocation from my company, came from Philly. Love it here, havent looked back (aside from the food):

People are friendly
Atmosphere is warm & inviting - people come here to live a more relaxed lifestyle and get AWAY from stress
Good values professionally & personally
More tolerable winters and longer spring/fall "perfect" weather
Less traffic
Less congestion
Better cost of living, including housing - nicer houses for much less on nicer land with nicer surroundings...no downside here
2 hrs from the beach, 3 hrs from the mountains, 5 hrs from DC, 5hrs from Atlanta...great location

Could go on...

Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,862,136 times
I am curious that you ask what brings people to the Triangle without saying why you came here - was it work? a job transfer? because family had relocated here? Did you do due dilligence about the area before relocating?, and spend time checking out the different areas before settling where you are? From numerous other posts on here it's aparent that the Triangle isn't to everyones liking and moving to a new area away from friends and family is a major decision which shouldn't be taken lightly, or because the Triangle is top of some list that a publisher made up to suit their advertising purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
Hello. It's been 6 months now that we have lived in the Triangle. I have read a ton on this forum & seen a lot in my sales travels. I really like the area but I still don't feel at home yet? I guess I was hoping to adapt to the area and change quicker, but I still feel like a stranger in a strange land. We moved from DE/PA/NJ and NC is so much better for so many reasons. I guess I was just looking for some other relos to talk with & compare notes...

So what brings you to the area? How has your experience been? Any tips or must do things to help get a better feel for the area? What area/nhood did you migrate too? Any Yankee fans out there????

Please no negativity...it's just lame nonsense

Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 AM

49 posts, read 91,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
I moved here as part of a job transfer when DH's company started closing some smaller offices. We had a choice between RTP or Boston. My experience has been mostly positive. The kids are much happier here and the schools they attend are better than what they had up North. The weather is better. I do miss my friends though and I find it harder to connect with people. I think that has more to do with my personality and isn't a reflection on the area. We ended up moving to Cary (gasp) but we didn't know a thing about Cary. We just ended up finding a house there that fit all the criteria of what I was looking for which interestingly enough, is the opposite of what most people look for in Cary. We are in an older area of the town. Not a Yankee's fan but my son like them.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,080,837 times
I moved here 18 years ago last month because a lucrative contract had ended, and I was afraid of becoming a bag lady. I arranged multiple job interviews here; those were the days.

I didn't do any research whatsoever. Someone at a party said he'd go to Raleigh if given a chance. So I focused on Raleigh. I didn't know a soul.

I married a Raleigh native, so I'm here forever. It took me a very long time to adjust -- to the heat, the congestion (compared to Rochester, NY), and missing family and friends. It takes time to learn about the area and fun things to do. It seemed much easier in Rochester. I also missed activities geared around water; for a long time, I felt that landlocked Raleigh wasn't for me. Beach trips are vital.

I just spent a week in Manhattan, and although fun, I felt like kissing the ground when I got off the plane yesterday.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 AM

520 posts, read 1,015,564 times
The reason we moved here was a job offer for my husband & the opportunity for me to remain w/the same company (just a location transfer).

A large part of what made us willing to even look further into the opportunity for him was the climate. And we did know one couple from on-line (had never met in person) before arriving here.

Although we've been here 10 months I still feel like a newcomer. As N. Raleigh Guy mentioned, until you get 1 year under your belt there is still so much you don't know. I'm finding plants blooming at our new house this spring I had no idea were there. And I'm still very, very dependent on my GPS. There are new restaurants, stores, events, etc. that I learn about every day.

Honestly, remembering my last move, I think it took a good 2 or 3 years before I really felt "settled" and "local" to the area. I expect the same thing here. Things slowly get more comfortable as time goes on, but it really takes a long time to become comfortably familiar with a new home.

To help us start to settle in we've been very active in getting out of the house. I joined a professional group, found a church, joined the YMCA & we've signed up for a couple Meetup Groups (Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup).

We subscribed to the Herald newspaper. Not for the news, but to read about local happenings (workshops, seminars, book signings, etc). You can learn about a lot of things in the area that way.

On Facebook I've "Liked" many local places (Life/Science Museum, I-Max Theatre in Raleigh, Duke Gardens, UNC Botanical Garden, etc) because they often post events & happenings.

Sign up w/Groupon, Living Social & Twongo. You get some great discount deals & learn about some cool things. We did a Segway Tour of Raleigh for a steal of a price (and didn't even fall off our segways ). They offer all types of stuff. Cleaning, restaurants, salons, car services, entertainment, etc. I've learned of several things in the area that have become favorites that I never would have found otherwise.

Beyond that, use the "newcomer" status to your advantage. Ask anyone & everyone for help, referrals, sugestions, etc. People love to tell you about their favorite whatever (restaurant, store, etc). It is a great conversastion opener and you get tips on places in your immediate area.

Be patient & give yourself time, it will come.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 AM

247 posts, read 451,798 times
We relocated for a great job opportunity for my husband. Then my mom relocated here because she said we stole her grandkids. That helped feel at home a lot faster I'm sure. But we felt pretty settled right away, this is just our home. Fortunately both myself and my husband feel this way, so it's working for us.

We've made a good effort in getting out and discovering this area. Someone else mentioned liking things on facebook and using the deal sites like groupon, that's a great idea! We've done a lot of things by using those sites. The News & Observer and WRAL also have some good listings for events and things to do in the area.

There are a lot of towns and cities in the area and I think it's fun to pick one and take a drive and have lunch somewhere new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary