U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM

3,451 posts, read 6,301,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
How would people get to 40 from 147?

The toll road of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 AM

121 posts, read 126,789 times
Me too I think many people will revert back to other routes when the current 'free' section of 540 is tolled later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I hope everyone uses it, that way there will be less congestion on the alternate routes (which I will be using) !

Old 03-09-2011, 03:26 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,477,230 times
It's getting really old seeing the same posts detailing how the northern section is more deserving and no one lives in western wake and we deserve to pay for the same thing north wake gets for free. There is definitely no one living in Cary, Morrisville or Apex.

North Raleigh (not NRG2), you are lucky you got your welfare highway from the Fed gov and should stop rubbing it in.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM

19,259 posts, read 29,728,079 times
When Gas goes to a bazillion buckerooooos a by gum liter, a few nickels in tolls will become immaterial.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM

445 posts, read 356,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
When Gas goes to a bazillion buckerooooos a by gum liter, a few nickels in tolls will become immaterial.
Should that threshold be reached, the problem will be an overall reduction in driving that will result in a revenue shortfall!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:00 PM

875 posts, read 1,328,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
It's getting really old seeing the same posts detailing how the northern section is more deserving and no one lives in western wake and we deserve to pay for the same thing north wake gets for free. There is definitely no one living in Cary, Morrisville or Apex.

North Raleigh (not NRG2), you are lucky you got your welfare highway from the Fed gov and should stop rubbing it in.
I'm sorry, but I don't see anyone here "rubbing it in" as you say. I do live in North Raleigh but had no influence in the building of I-540. Western Wake has closer access to I-40, 440, and highway 55 which has been widened to handle more traffic and enhance growth in areas around it, so you are getting your share of the "welfare" money and will get no pity from me because a toll road is being built that is optional to use.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM

3,451 posts, read 6,301,089 times
Plenty of people will gladly pay $1/day to save 60 minutes from their commutes back and forth.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM
rfb

1,296 posts, read 3,148,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Plenty of people will gladly pay $1/day to save 60 minutes from their commutes back and forth.
That must be an incredible 3.5 mile drive to take 30 minutes each way . In all seriousness, though, the Turnpike Authority is counting on people to pay to reduce their commute time.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM

121 posts, read 126,789 times
for people living in Fuquay, Holly Springs and Apex the 540 extension will be improve their commute time to RTP by a factor that more than offsets the cost of the Tolls. For residents of West Cary they will have very little benefit and it will be easier for them to go back to using NC55 and Morrisville Carpenter, and the new Morrisville Parways extension that opens soon. With all the traffic attracted to 540 it should ease the congestion on these local ioads. I may occasionally use 540 when driving south towards Holly Springs just to avoid the bottlenecks in Apex as I will be able to join at the Green Level interchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
That must be an incredible 3.5 mile drive to take 30 minutes each way . In all seriousness, though, the Turnpike Authority is counting on people to pay to reduce their commute time.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 589 times
The biggest flaw in this system is the price of tolls. They are not reasonable at all. If it cost me a buck to drive from Holly Springs to RTP one way I would surely fork out the money, but I refuse to pay upwards of 3 - 4 dollars one way when I have to drive there 5 days a week for work.

I have taken that route a few times now going to work and by the looks of things the toll road has been a complete failure. I doubt they will raise the revenue needed to pay for the maintenance of the road let alone the loan for it. That being said the only other way to raise the money is raise taxes on other things and the best one that many don't know about is gas taxes. We are already one of the highest states on the East coast and the highest in the southeast.

The road is very nice, but it's too expensive to commute daily like it was designed for. Another government bridge to nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary