Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,814 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom living in NY (born and raised here). I'm preparing to relocate with my mom and son to Raleigh, NC as soon as possible. I don't have an exact date as of yet because I have a lot of business to tie up here in NY as well as saving the money necessary to cover moving expenses, etc. I've just HAD IT with NY ; I've lived here ALL MY LIFE (all 42 years; lol) and I feel that I've gotten from NY all that I need to get; I need a FRESH, CLEAN start, even more so for my 12-year old son. I can no longer tolerate or afford the rising cost of living in this city: rent prices are THROUGH THE ROOF, transportation expenses seem to go up EVERY OTHER YEAR, gas prices, you name it, it GOES UP! I'm trying to get more info on the average cost of utilites for people living in Raleigh. I'm already searching for jobs there and, depending on the pay, I"ll need to know what I'm working with as far as expenses go. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,534 times
I hear you! We moved from NJ 6 years ago and love it here. The three things that will save you money are home prices, property taxes and car insurance. Food, clothing and gas are about the same. Maybe gas is slightly cheaper than NY. Whenever we would visit family in Queens I couldn't believe the price difference from NJ. Gas here is 3.50 ish - 3.72 give or take. Utilities are average. I don't see a big difference personally. Sales tax here is too high..I believe it's at 7.75%! You pay a yearly property tax on cars as well. Which is not too bad.
Be sure to have a job lined up before you move. I see some movement and for me in the tech support area it has picked up ...a little but still many people applying for the same job. We moved before the recession and moved without jobs since we sold our home while there was an inflated real estate market. We both found jobs in a few months but being out of state it can be harder to find something. Many won't consider someone who is not local. If you can transfer, and keep the NY salary...then you are way a head of the game. Depends on the line of work you are in as far a pay. My husband and I took a pay cut and now after 6 years have started to come back up a bit. Even then the pay varies from job to job. When I look for jobs I see many nursing spots ( I used to work in a hospital so I check out computer openings ) and they pay is good.
Rent here also varies but you will get way more for the money. We rented the first year here. We had a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment ( was about 1300sq ft) the place has a gym and pool...going back 6 years now we paid $1000 per month. Place like that in NJ..would be 2k or more. Look online...that's how we found our place. Take a trip down and explore the area. We do love it here but be sure to be honest with yourself about moving from what you have known and realize that other family members are still 8 hours away. I say that because many don't think they will miss friends, family and then want to go back. Sounds like your mom is moving with you so that helps
Forgot to mention...since you said something about tranportation. Not sure what bus fares are here but this area has very little in public trans. You will need a car to get you everywhere...no way to get around it. I see bus stops on Rt 55 but not sure how far they go. Raleigh does not have subways, or heavy bus access. Train is just Amtrack out of Cary, nothing for commuting like you would from NJ into NYC etc. Maybe as the area grows they will add it but the population is probably not enough to support that. I don't think this area has hit a million yet..correct me anyone if I am off on this

Last edited by mishellina; 03-05-2011 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 05:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B_in_NC View Post
I'm a single mom living in NY (born and raised here). I'm preparing to relocate with my mom and son to Raleigh, NC as soon as possible. I don't have an exact date as of yet because I have a lot of business to tie up here in NY as well as saving the money necessary to cover moving expenses, etc. I've just HAD IT with NY ; I've lived here ALL MY LIFE (all 42 years; lol) and I feel that I've gotten from NY all that I need to get; I need a FRESH, CLEAN start, even more so for my 12-year old son. I can no longer tolerate or afford the rising cost of living in this city: rent prices are THROUGH THE ROOF, transportation expenses seem to go up EVERY OTHER YEAR, gas prices, you name it, it GOES UP! I'm trying to get more info on the average cost of utilites for people living in Raleigh. I'm already searching for jobs there and, depending on the pay, I"ll need to know what I'm working with as far as expenses go. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated!
Be aware salaries in many fields are a lot lower here than in NYC.

I used to live in Alphabet City and miss public transit here.

Utilities aren't a giveaway. Some areas have really bad water and electric rates.

We rent here and find rates great. However, if you take a big pay cut, it might be a different story.

Get the job first.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM

81 posts, read 173,463 times
Con ED was a rip-off compared to here and forget LIPA-I find the utilities are lower than NY,food is the same,sales tax here is 7.75 i think?? Your car will be your best friend since there is no public transportation so factor in a car loan for a new or used plus repairs and maint.(insurance is at least half the premium cost-for now that is-read the "Drivers getting worse in the area). My advice- do not come here because it's cheaper-come here because you visited and like the Triangle area and you have a job and like surburban living!!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonlespaul View Post
My advice- do not come here because it's cheaper-come here because you visited and like the Triangle area and you have a job and like surburban living!!
Very true. The ones who moved here only because it was cheap (and didn't do any real research or visit) are much more likely to be the ones moving back later because the "culture" wasn't what they were used to, and it wasn't willing to change to accommodate them.

And definitely get a job first. To the OP: Are you hell-bent on just Raleigh or could it be any of a number of places? Apply for jobs anywhere you might be willing to move, since competition is fierce here for what is still a depressed number of jobs compared to pre-recession.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
First of all welcome and researching information about this area on city-data is an excellent start. IMHO my priorities would be:

Job first.
School for 12 year old - second
where to live here - last.

Notice I did not say third as there are many things before where to live. That actually IMHO is the easiest thing to do here. One can get an apartment almost instantly. One with some decent credit and a down payment can buy a home the day they come down here. The real deal is where to work and how far you want to commute to work from home.

As one poster stated public transportation includes buses and well buses. Trains are a distant stimulus package or two away for this area. For the six years we have lived here from upstate NY trains have been heard but never really 'seen' with passengers in them. No subways, no tramways, just plan noways.

But once you secure a job dive into the school for your child. The choices in the area are abundant between public and private. Which ones are good or not is a person choice that you have to make based on feed back from the schools. See the WCPSS website for some in-SIGHT-full information. 12 years old is a tough age to move, it easier than at 15 but tougher than at 8 years old or younger. Not impossible but tough. If your son has a close knit group of friends it will be really tough.

Best of luck and I am confident you can find work here, a good school, and a roof over your head for your new start if your open to change.

Our prices go up in this area too. This area is not immune to food, energy, housing, and entertainment price increases. What helps off set some of the increases is the positive influx of new people like yourself. As NYC shrinks NC grows. Just the way it is I suppose but our prices go up for things too!
NY State does not have the market covered with the rising cost of living....we all help on that one!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM

18 posts, read 43,085 times
Agree with the posts before, if you are a single mom, job first, don't just run out of NY because its cheaper, COL here is a little less, but you do need a car, which entails insurance, taxes and tags. Schools are pretty good here but cost of living is not all that much cheaper. Also the job market sucks right now. I dare say in any field, so do your research and make sure you have some money to back you up because you will need to have some financial cushion. Wish you luck!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM

596 posts, read 1,239,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B_in_NC View Post
I understand what you are saying but like other posts , this is going to be a major culture shock, unless you are seeking a more laid back life. I too was born and raised in NYC but lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area almost 30 yrs, and been living here near Raleigh past 4 years, I am having major adjustment issues, hate to make a negitive post but just take it as a thought. Think it out carefully and consider other places as well if you need to get out of NY. Best of luck to you !

Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Think it out carefully and consider other places as well if you need to get out of NY. Best of luck to you !
Yes; for some reason, so many seem to believe that the only choices are: NY or NC. Not quite sure where this mindset is coming from, but we see it again and again: "I have GOT to get out of NY--so of course I'm coming to NC!"

There ARE 48 other states, many which may have better job markets, schools, costs or living, or better fits for culture for you. Maybe not, but maybe so. NC is not a dumping ground for dissatisfied New Yorkers.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
NC is not a dumping ground for dissatisfied New Yorkers.

Yes it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary