U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:24 PM

53 posts, read 155,500 times

Advertisements

We are arriving in NC on August 2nd and will register my son. The best track for him is Track 4 since he will only have missed a couple of days. Well Track 4 is filled.

Question: Once he is assigned for a Track is that for the 5 years that he is in elementary or does that change every year???

What happens if you have two kids....are they are different tracks or do the schools try to keep them together???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 03:20 PM

188 posts, read 1,032,717 times
Track 4 is the most popular track, thus it is full in every school. Track 3 will actually be a good track for you because they're going on a break starting on Fri. They will be out for 3 weeks, and will come back on Aug. 20. This will minimize the number of days your child will miss. This is as good as you're going to get, I'm afraid.

The track you are assigned will be the same throughout the school years, unless you request a change. Siblings are ALWAYS put on the same track, even if they are in different schools (elem or middle).

Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 PM

8,268 posts, read 21,860,861 times
They assign you a track and as a first year student, you usually end up with the least popular track, which is track 2. That is your track for all the years you are there BUT you can apply for a track change at the end of your first year. From what I was told, the requests are granted by seniority levels (or however long you've been at the school).
The principal at Adams elementary told me it can take about 2-3 years to get track 4, and by then, most people don't want it anymore. They've just adapted to whatever track they've been on for a while I guess.
Yes, they do a very good job of keeping siblings on the same track, even if it's a different school.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,907,018 times
Also, you do not have to put your child in the year-round school of your district. You can opt out, and they will assign him to a traditional school and provide transportation.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,510,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Also, you do not have to put your child in the year-round school of your district. You can opt out, and they will assign him to a traditional school and provide transportation.
For this year. It's my understanding they may not be able to do so next year....heard this from several teachers at different schools.

Make sure you want to, or can, provide your own transportation next year if you don't want your kids moved back to the school they should be at anyway.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 AM

185 posts, read 728,804 times
Default We Just Moved Here & Got Track 4

Hello! I'm responding to the track question. We just moved here in June, I just registered my child for school on Monday. We put track 4 as our first choice & that is what we got. Sometimes I would take what is on this board as a grain of salt. There is alot of negativity on here about the tracks and year round schools. If you just plead your case that the rest of your family is out of state and on a traditional calendar you may get your first choice of track. Our second choice was Track 3 that seems like a good schedule too.
I was so freaked out about registering my child because of what's been posted on this board. It went really smoothly. This board has been a great resource so far but take the negativity lightly about the schools and how the locals feel about transplants. We've had a great time so far! Best of Luck to you!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 AM

8,268 posts, read 21,860,861 times
You're very lucky. Which school was it? I think a lot of it probably depends on how crowded the school is too. We've been trying for track 4 for 3 years now and have never gotten it, even with another child in traditional.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM

85 posts, read 293,635 times
Yes, you were lucky, I have already been told that track 4 at my school is full and has been for awhile (its the closest to tradional, which makes me wonder if that more what people want?).

Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 PM

275 posts, read 1,024,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliping View Post
Track 4 is the most popular track, thus it is full in every school. Track 3 will actually be a good track for you because they're going on a break starting on Fri. They will be out for 3 weeks, and will come back on Aug. 20. This will minimize the number of days your child will miss. This is as good as you're going to get, I'm afraid.

The track you are assigned will be the same throughout the school years, unless you request a change. Siblings are ALWAYS put on the same track, even if they are in different schools (elem or middle).
Just fyi...I was also told that track 4 is always the most popular, but at our school track 1 is most popular. And we still got 2 spots! So it just depends on the school.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM

188 posts, read 1,032,717 times
Track 4 at most schools will already be full, because it's the "closest" to traditional calendar. The vast majority of people who move into Wake County late will not be able to choose this track, no matter how well it works for their family in their particular situation.

I speak with experience, as I am a Track 4 KG teacher. I already have 28 students in my class and cannot take any more. We are definitely overcrowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary