Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,007 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Chicago area, looking to relocate to Raleigh area. Need a good public high school. Would like an area with large lots, mature trees. Job search suggestions for Medical Assistant and employment with City Municipalties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM

151 posts, read 404,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNC323 View Post
Currently live in Chicago area, looking to relocate to Raleigh area. Need a good public high school. Would like an area with large lots, mature trees. Job search suggestions for Medical Assistant and employment with City Municipalties.
There are a bunch of nice areas. I live in the Reserve off of hwy 55 in Cary, and it's one of the rare subdivisions in Cary that has large-ish (.3 - .5 acre) lots and large trees! Wellsley is similar. As-is Abbington in Apex.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Find jobs here first. Pretty much all the high schools in the Triangle area are good ones.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Find jobs here first. Pretty much all the high schools in the Triangle area are good ones.
Do you have any suggestions for job searches in the area?

Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNC323 View Post
Do you have any suggestions for job searches in the area?
I'd think you could check any of the city web sites in the area for job postings. Ditto the hospitals.

Not that this area is overflowing with open jobs or anything.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
"Find jobs here first. Pretty much all the high schools in the Triangle area are good ones."

Agree with 'find job first.' but disagree with the rest of the statement. Do you really thing they are all good? Not sure I'd let my child go to certain high schools...it also depends on your child and what they want to get out of it. A 'good' school can't make your child work hard. You might get them into Enloe, Broughton or Green Hope but will they get into and stay in the AP classes? There have been some interesting letters in the N&O regarding how funds are spent -- even in magnets -- that don't necessarily help the kids who aren't AP or IB or Honors... and also on the workload that high schoolers are willing to tackle -- when they can graduate with a non-honors class just fine.

So...high school choice really depends on what your child's strengths are and what their future plans are. Are sports important? Are clubs important? Foreign Languages/Drama/Arts/Band/Orchestra? Do you want academically rigorous courseload to head toward a 4 year university, do you want your child to graduate with some idea of career direction, get some college courses prior to going to college or do you want the allied health program that is just starting up...Huskin's Cooperative Program - Wake Technical Community College

I'd get a job offer first. Then look at high school offerings via the wake county website (wcpss) and testing scores at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and visit the areas.

Wake County Public School System is the website for the school system.

Then, when you narrow it down to a few high schools- ask again here telling us what you are looking for and some of us might be able to provide pros/cons.

I'd also consider renting to start with. That is a lot of change at once...and you might discover that the commute and/or school isn't what you thought...

good luck.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM

I'm of the opinion that very few of the high schools around here are lousy.

Enough so that it is pretty easy to find housing that will be both near any job the OP may find AND in a good school district.

That's all I really meant.

My eldest went to Wakefield HS, then we moved and he finished out at Green Hope HS.

My younger two will likely go to either Cary High or Green Hope.

Both are good schools.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 AM

166 posts, read 664,154 times
Johnston County also has several very good high schools, and still very commutable to the Raleigh area. More house/acreage for your $$. Check out the newly built Cleveland High School, the newly-built Corrinth-Holders High School, and beautiful West Johnston High Schools. Any of these will compete with schools in Wake County without having to put up with all of the political muck of Wake County. Many subdivisions in the Cleveland area (I-40/Hwy 42) or near Flowers Plantation and Riverwood would probably be of interest.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 PM

25 posts, read 73,244 times
I'm going to have to agree with WeLoveNC....I wouldn't say all the High Schools are fine.

"My eldest went to Wakefield HS, then we moved and he finished out at Green Hope HS. " Those happen to be IMO fantastic schools!!

Like everywhere else in the country, schools can differ in a big way. And you can't take it for granted that because you are buying in a "great town" that your kids will attend the schools in that "great town."

My opinion is to look at what employment opportunties are open to you and figure out if you will need to make a salary adjustment (especially in the medical field) and then figure out where you would like to live. Come down and get a feel for what you want and don't want. Don't put so much emphasis on negative comments...I find that those who complain, will complain regardless of where they live.

Good Luck and keep posting questions. It's the best way to get an answer. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary