Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 AM

306 posts, read 436,336 times

Advertisements

I understand what you are saying. However, there is a difference between making a professional follow up phone call and being a pest. There is no need to grossly exaggerate to make the point, 1200 calls?

My point was that the upside to doing something other than just emailing a bunch of resumes trumps the risk of someone getting bent out of shape because they got a phone call.

I also would find it hard to believe that someone would punish a qualified candidate who they intended on bringing in for an interview simply because they made a follow up call. That seems a tad spiteful.

It seems like you would also be punishing your company.

Personally, I can tell an awful lot about someone and the way they carry themselves in a few minutes on the phone. Resumes are often nothing but a Trojan Horse. When people pay a professional to have a resume constructed it is easy for it not to be an authentic representation of who they are.

I can't speak for how you do business and I am sure you are terrific at what you do but in your example 195 people got absolutely nowhere by simply sending you a resume. What did they have to lose by making one phone call?

I can say without question I have gotten jobs and job offers because I made phone calls.

This strategy can vary with what industry you are looking into as well.

Sales and Marketing jobs are different than a position where you don't care if the person is articulate, enthusiastic, engaging, personable, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I didn't miss the point. I added the lobby comment because that's what people did who thought they were "taking some initiative."

Once you've heard the 1200th person call and ask, "Did you get my resume?" and/or start a phone interview that you, as the hirer, didn't want or initiate, it gets a little old and does nothing for the applicant's chances of getting hired.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm giving another perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:44 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
I also want to add that giving up looking for work does not necessarily mean you are sitting at home collecting a welfare check. It just means the unemployment benefits have run out, and there is no longer a need to sign in every week as unemployed.

It's unfortunate, because when that happens you are no longer counted statistically. Especially rough when you already feel as if you don't count.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
I've done some hiring, and I can tell you that it's a pain in the neck if job applicants call you to follow up on submitting a resume. I don't have the time to go to the bathroom, much less respond to a dozen phone calls like that. If I put "no phone calls" in my ad or application instructions, you'd better not call me or you'll get removed from consideration. If you can't follow instructions, I don't want you.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM

103 posts, read 157,540 times
That's kind of discouraging, but understandable. Any suggestions on how to stand out or show enthusiasm?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I also want to add that giving up looking for work does not necessarily mean you are sitting at home collecting a welfare check. It just means the unemployment benefits have run out, and there is no longer a need to sign in every week as unemployed.

It's unfortunate, because when that happens you are no longer counted statistically. Especially rough when you already feel as if you don't count.
As has been pointed out here several times before, "unemployment rate" has nothing to do with whether someone is getting unemployment benefits; it is based on a Bureau of Labor Statistics survey taken every month. You can count as "unemployed" (i.e. looking) even after your benefits run out.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
I know 2 people who have gotten new jobs in the triangle just recently. From what I heard from one of them, was that they had multiple options.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM

306 posts, read 436,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baaadgoatjoke View Post
That's kind of discouraging, but understandable. Any suggestions on how to stand out or show enthusiasm?
That's one opinion from someone who has done "some hiring".

I suspect a lot of hiring managers will tell you they don't want follow up calls about positions. If they specifically post," no phone calls", then you are on your own. In that case, I just call the manager of the department and say I was interested in finding out about their current staffing situation. I play dumb and don't even let on that I know there might be a position there. If they engage in dialogue and want to talk about the position, terrific. If they say that you need to send a resume to the HR department, then do that and mention to the HR Director that you spoke with so and so and they told you to send in a resume.

Send a note to the Dept. head you spoke with. Often times they can be great leads for other positions within their industry. Most industries are incestuous like that.

HR managers are some really nice people but they are programmed robots in many cases who simply act as a filter of paper and ink.

The bottom line is most people don't get hired from job ads, they get hired from networking and through someone they know personally or professionally. I always tell people, start getting to know a lot of people, anyway you can.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
My point is simply why would someone just give up looking for work? What will that accomplish? It is highly counterintuitive.

Most people get hired through contacts, friends, networking, etc. and not from Internet job sites.
It does seem counter-intuitive, but unless you have actually been there, it may be hard to understand.

Many jobs are found through networking, but I got my last two jobs through applications. One was in response to a posting in the classified ads (before C/L killed that area) and the other was in response to a posting on company website.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
It was a company of 120 people. Everyone wanted to work there, so there were a lot of applicants.

And you have no right to insult me if I want to exaggerate to make a point.

And as I said, I did not disagree with you.

Who said I would punish a qualified candidate?

And we agree on something -- that yes, one can sometimes tell a lot about someone on a phone call. That was often the problem. They were better off NOT calling.

I am glad the 195 people didn't call me.

Did you ever notice the "No calls please" on some ads? That's why. We never included that; it seemed rude.

The hiring person just wants to review the applications and go from there. Experience and education -- those were the top criteria. The best candidates always rose to the top -- it was quite easy to find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
I understand what you are saying. However, there is a difference between making a professional follow up phone call and being a pest. There is no need to grossly exaggerate to make the point, 1200 calls?

My point was that the upside to doing something other than just emailing a bunch of resumes trumps the risk of someone getting bent out of shape because they got a phone call.

I also would find it hard to believe that someone would punish a qualified candidate who they intended on bringing in for an interview simply because they made a follow up call. That seems a tad spiteful.

It seems like you would also be punishing your company.

Personally, I can tell an awful lot about someone and the way they carry themselves in a few minutes on the phone. Resumes are often nothing but a Trojan Horse. When people pay a professional to have a resume constructed it is easy for it not to be an authentic representation of who they are.

I can't speak for how you do business and I am sure you are terrific at what you do but in your example 195 people got absolutely nowhere by simply sending you a resume. What did they have to lose by making one phone call?

I can say without question I have gotten jobs and job offers because I made phone calls.

This strategy can vary with what industry you are looking into as well.

Sales and Marketing jobs are different than a position where you don't care if the person is articulate, enthusiastic, engaging, personable, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary