Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 AM

85 posts, read 333,263 times

Advertisements

I am leaning toward wake forest (more what I am used to!). My husband likes the apex area, proximity to things etc. We are currently looking at a house off of oliva chapel road. I was wondering what the traffic is like there? Seemed busy the other day, but it looked like either the light was not working on Kelly Rd and 64? Or it was a new light not yet operational? Anyone know what the proximity to the landfill (i know a lot of people mentioned that some parts of apex are closer to it than holly springs, i tried to look at the map of the landfill, but not quite sure). I noticed that the middle school and high school are traditional, but that the gradeschool, olive chapel is year-round. Does anyone know what the options are if you need traidtional? Are there any? I heard maybe magnet school, but it is to late to apply for that. Can you go to school in another town, like maybe cary with tradiditonal if you provide the transportation? Sorry so many questions! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,997,423 times
If you go to the wake county schools website, wcpss.net then you can plug in an address and it will give you the base school options. IF the base is a year round school, then you can apply for a traditional school (if you click on the traditional option). Now, the kicker in it all is if the traditional they give you is full, then they can opt to put you in a different traditional school that may not be convenient for commuting.

The other difficulty is that you would need an actual address to plug into the computer so that you can determine a school based on that address.

I cannot necessarily address the traffic issue as I haven't lived in apex in two years. I live in wake forest now, which works for us!

Leigh

Old 07-25-2007, 07:25 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,578,301 times
I live off of Olive Chapel right now but I don't commute so I can't speak to rush-hour traffic. Traffic seems really light the rest of the time. The light at Kelly Rd & Rte 64 is brand new, and it's supposed to be activated by the end of the month. That should really help from a safety standpoint.

I like the location a lot - it's convenient to the new shopping center, and you can get to Apex easily. I'd think for commuting to RTP it'd be pretty good since you would just get on Rte 55 (which was recently widened to 2 lanes north of 64). Not that you said you'd be commuting there - just a random thought that came in my head!

People seem to really like Olive Chapel Elementary, so I think most opted to stay when it went year-round. You should be able to find out what the year-round option is - I think it's maybe 10 miles away in Cary (another reason why most opted to stay). I don't have any children so this is just my general impression of what people have said on message boards and on our community mailing list.

Is the house you're looking at in a subdivision? There are some really nice ones along Olive Chapel.

edit: The landfill is miles away - it's not an issue here.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 AM

thank you so much for the information, yes I am checking into the school situtation, apparently in cary their is the next closest traditional school, will have to check its capacity. I thought the light looked like it was new and just not opertional yet! Good to know thanks!. Now I have read that the 540 is going to go over Olive chapel road and through subdivisions pearsons and kelly glen? Wow, anyone know if that is so, and what will that do for the area?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,578,301 times
I think 540 will overall have a positive effect, as commuting (or getting anywhere really) will be a lot easier. I think houses that back up to the highway will be negatively impacted - harder to sell, and maybe less appreciation. Then again, until it's actually built I don't think you can know what it will really be like (how much buffer, will there be sound barriers, etc.).

The funding hasn't yet been allocated for construction - I think this road is more than four years off, despite what they may say on the NCDOT website.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,902,492 times
My parents live near there and I take Olive Chapel Rd. to get to their house. It seems to have gotten busier over the last couple years. Enough that I don't think I'd want my yard to back up to the road, but I wouldn't mind living in one of the adjacent s/d. My sisters were not zoned for Olive Chapel Elementary even though it is right down the street. They were zoned for and went to Farmington Woods in Cary, which they liked. They are now also zoned for Apex Middle (still) and Holly Springs HS (new this year). So you'll want to double check which schools the house you are interested in is actually zoned for.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,798,749 times
Some neighborhoods that border Olive Chapel Road are districted for Turner Creek Year Round Elementary which is a couple of miles up NC55. The traffic in the area is not that bad by Triangle standards with the exception of the OCR/55 traffic light during morning/afternoon rush. We like the location for its proximity to shopping-you are less than a mile to just about every store you visit consistently (Harris Teeter, Target, Lowes, Pharmacy) as well as a few decent restaurants. FWIW we are moving to the OCR area from NW Cary after 4 years there.
You should also know that the Apex Peakway is being extended south from it's intersection with OCR to South Salem near Apex BBQ Road. It will pass JUST East of the new Peakway Village S/D and a traffic light will be added at that intersection. Construction is underway. This should help ease congestion at OCR and 55. I540 (when it comes thru) will NOT have on/offramps on OCR-the closest interchanges will be at 64 highway to the North and at South Salem Street on the South side.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM

wow, thanks! There is so much road construction going on around here, you really have to do your research i guess!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,925 times
Does anybody know the year Olive Chapel Elementary School was built? There was a family gravesite on that property thas was relocated and I'm trying to find out where it was located. The year the school was built will be a tremendous help to me. Also, if by chance, you know someone who has knowledge of the family graveyard that I'm speaking about, if I could make contact with them would also be a great help. Three names of people buried in that family graveyard are as follows: Willie Winberly (actually Wimberly, it was misspelled on his tombstone) son of S.B & Nellie, b. 22 Oct 1905 d. 11 Jul 1906. The second person, H J Mills b. 1 Jul 1845 d. 25 May 1920. The third person, Collon Ray, son of T.H. & R.E. Mills , b. 20 Jul 1906 d. 5 Sep 1906.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
I found this, although it doesn't specifically answer your question:

History of Olive Chapel Elementary | every child...reaching and achieving

Very interesting!

I know OCES has been there since the mid-90s at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary