Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM

15 posts, read 41,172 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone-

My husband will start a job in the area in the next couple of weeks. As soon as we sell our home here (we are located between Dallas - Ft Worth) the kids and I will join him. We require horse property and would like a very good public school district ( kids are 6 & 9). We would like to stay under 500k for a home. Does that sound realistic? We do not know anything about the area but have seen Cary and Apex on different sites and have heard positive things about them. Can anyone recommend areas, neighborhoods and any other things that will be useful to us? We are not "country" people so we do not need a lot of acreage... Maybe 4-6 acres.

Thank you in advance. We are exited to finally get out of Texas as we r both transplants here (from il and ca).

One last thing...we are vegans. Can you guys recommend some good vegan restaurants? I've heard over and over your farmers markets are fabulous!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
Yes, we have wonderful farmers markets in Orange County (Carrboro, Chapel and 2 in Hillsborough). There are some vegan restaurants, but I can't really speak to those. Sorry. As for acreage for horses under $500K...hmmm. First, unless you are willing to play the roulette with Wake Co (Cary/Apex or anywhere in Wake) regarding school systems, I'd beware. Orange Co. has land with room for horses, but again beware. Some may have Chapel Hill addresses but actually be in Chatham Co school system or Orange Co. school system. Not that either are bad (actually I know OCS is quite good), but if you think you are getting into the no. 1 school system in the state (reputation that Chapel Hill-Carrboro has), but you are buying land out of the district....
Just something of which to be aware. Both CCHS and OCS have quality schools, it just depends on what you are looking for both in terms of education and property. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM

30 posts, read 65,464 times
You might want to look for property in Apex and Pittsboro. As for vegan cuisine, the Triangle does not specialize in vegan restaurants. In fact, much of the cuisine here is pretty bland and inconsistent.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I don't think you will find that large property under $500 in Chapel Hill/Carrboro school district. In fact I know it doesn't exist. Have you considered buying in the district and boarding your horses elsewhere? Guess it just depends on your priorities.
Do research on Wake County schools. they are in a big mess now and have been for some years.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
How many acres do you need for your horses? There are some (few) properties in the CHCCS but none for sale now that I know of. Might be better to purchase and board as another poster mentioned. BUT I'd recommend purchasing land in the OCS district over the Chatham district (which would include Pittsboro). Again, depends on your kids needs and your needs/wants.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
"We are not "country" people so we do not need a lot of acreage... Maybe 4-6 acres."

FWIW, 4-6 acres would be considered "country" here. Suburban lots usually range from .5 down to .11 of an acre here. YOu will find some older subdivisions with 1 acre lots. But 4-6 acres is pretty much country.

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
If you've got your heart set on the Chapel Hill School District, the southern and western fringes of the district will from time to time have some properties with acreage and price in your ballpark come up for sale. This will be along the Chatham Co border, and then out Damascus Church, Jones Ferry, Old Greensboro, NC54 and Dairyland. You will likely not be getting a high end house, but you will find properties that are livable with a decent amount of acreage, and maybe even some pasture. As noted above, much, much easier to find what you are looking for on the opposite side of the district boundary, in the Orange County Schools, and there's a decent number of small horsable properties in OCS that will be closer to town than those at the edge of the CHCCS.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,220 times
I would suggest just getting with a Real Estate Agent...they'll be able to tell you what you can get, the best area to get it, etc.

About Vegan restaurants, wish I could recommend some but I really can't. However, you are right about the Farmer's markets...we have great ones! The one in Raleigh is great...fresh, local produce..can't beat it!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2011 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: TOS violation

Old 03-14-2011, 12:34 PM

OK, I just got off the phone with a realtor. She seemed to confirm what some of you are stating. Chapel Hill and Carrbora have good schools as does Cary. I was advised to stay away from Orange, Durham, and Wake schools. They seem to be hit or miss. Does this sound about right? She also confirmed it may be difficult to purchase something in the 500K range in a good school district...ughhh!

In my area we typically use Greatschools.org to gauge how a school is doing. not that we take their ratings as gospel but it's a good start. Is this site used in your area as well? If so, I am somewhat confused.. It looks like Apex has several 9 and 10's but is considered an area to be careful of. Any explanations or guidance will be welcome!

thanks again-

lynn

Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the realtor recommendation! I'll make a note of her name and #.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary