U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 AM

282 posts, read 697,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I really enjoyed A Southern Season 12 years ago when it was located in a small space next to Eckerds in University Mall and I was 18 years old. Nowadays with Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in town, A Southern Season seems kind of pedestrian but they definitely deserve credit for raising the bar.
That's funny, because I find Whole Foods more "pedestrian" than A Southern Season and as excited as I am about having a Trader Joe's here after visiting Trader Joe's in other cities, I actually think A Southern Season has a better selection, overall. For wines, I think A Southern Season has everyone in the area beat.

Plus, I do prefer to shop a local, freestanding store over a chain whenever I get a chance. That's why I tend to choose Weaver Street over Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,024 times
Any chance of Southern Season expanding up north? We are always it with higher prices and to find chocolate at a reasonable price is a hunt. We have Trader Joes and Whole Foods, TJ is limited in its chocolate selection and WF is off the charts expensive.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,789,151 times
vosges is awesome, i hate curry, but their bacon chocolate is fantastic (as are nearly all of them)
i love southern season. i think i need to go back, i haven't been since the fall.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,212,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxb11 View Post
Any chance of Southern Season expanding up north?
Wouldn't that make it "Northern Season"?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 AM

362 posts, read 547,013 times
Southern Season and TJ's are two very different animals. The two shouldn't be compared.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM

610 posts, read 872,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
vosges is awesome, i hate curry, but their bacon chocolate is fantastic (as are nearly all of them)
i love southern season. i think i need to go back, i haven't been since the fall.

Bacon Chocolate???? Do you have a cardiologist?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM

355 posts, read 603,117 times
Southern Season is a food lover's paradise. They have the best cheese department of any place in the area. They have a terrific selection, all well stored, and with very knowledgeable staff. The selection of oils, spices, pastas, etc. is just awesome. I don't think that the comparisons to Whole Foods or even Wegman's really fit (as much as I love Wegman's). Their entire inventory is focused on quality and/or speciality products, many of which you won't find at a WF or even a Wegman's. If you love food, you really should check it out. It's one of my favorite things about the area. I just wish they were in Raleigh.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:34 PM

449 posts, read 488,002 times
Minor thing though, their British and Irish teas display has a borderline offensive sign... 'teas of the British Isles' indeed.

Only a matter of time before an Irish person gets upset about that!

chwboy

Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 PM

8,510 posts, read 12,673,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Minor thing though, their British and Irish teas display has a borderline offensive sign... 'teas of the British Isles' indeed. Only a matter of time before an Irish person gets upset about that!
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The British Isles are a group of islands off the northwest coast of continental Europe that include Great Britain, Ireland and over six-thousand smaller islands.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,315,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
From Wikipedia:
But it seems the Irish find it offensive.

Wikipedia:

The term British Isles is controversial in relation to Ireland,[7][11][12] where there are objections to its usage due to the association of the word "British" with Ireland. The Government of Ireland discourages its use,[13][14] and in relations with the United Kingdom the words "these islands" are used.[15][16] Although still used as a geographic term, the controversy means that alternative terms such as "Britain and Ireland" are increasingly preferred.[17][18]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary