Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times

Advertisements

My response was obviously tongue-in-cheek but the problem is real. Most of the groups that I interact with on a daily basis in RTP start before 8:00am est. The folks that I interact with in SJ don't come in before 9:30am pst. I've been to our west coast HQ and was surprised at how empty the lots were in the morning. Must be they're fighting that crazy Cali. traffic

In tech, the hours will be as long as you let them be. RTP is not the area it was back in the mid 90's in terms of jobs. One of the local news stations has a techwire that you can browse to get a feeling for the area: http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/news. The local scene is not as robust as Silicon Valley but there are some good companies here. With the downsizing that happened in the industry over the past 4 years or so there should be a good pool of experienced people to draw from if you're considering starting something up.

Last edited by C_Lan; 03-15-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
[quote=bullu99;18290156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Couldn't agree more..some of the team mates are in MA/Boston and we don't get it why do we have to end meeting sharp at 3 pm PST when it is peak working time here in valley:-)
Think how hard it is on the guys in India.

They're up in the middle of the night, probably sleeping in an office someplace with a sleeping bag, because the trains already stopped running by the time your group conference call is over.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,197 times
Hi CaryPrincess,
SF Bay area definitely has a lot more to offer in terms of career opportunities - big name companies, and *tons* of jobs. No doubt about it. Every engineer is contacted by 1 or 2 recruiters at least in a week -So, if you are just looking for a work- I would definitely rate SF a big plus.
That said- as soon as one starts of thinking of settling down, then house prices are enough to drive one away.
Regarding political views --we all know that bay area is in one extreme which is not good for society at all. I am more worried about CA budget as a whole- gangs coming in to middle class neighborhood ..and all this legalization of dispensaries etc. etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryPrincess View Post
It is a difficult choice and depends on number of things such as where you are in life and what your likes/dislikes are as well as future plans.
I am also in the tech/software industry and haven't been able to find the right job for the past four years. In fact, I am looking to move to the bay area as I see many more opportunities there. The technological innovation is much higher in bay area. The culture will be vastly different, not as casual at workplace or as liberal otherwise.
We also find the food choice limited compared to the bay area and not as much of a night life.
I also suffer from severe allergies during April (pine, oak ....etc) but it is beautiful during that time. Summers are really hot and humid with bugs so you can really enjoy the outdoors without being bitten.
Yes, housing costs are low and traffic might be less but I do not see that many startups or hiring frenzy out here.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 AM

229 posts, read 703,963 times
I grew up near SFO, went to college in Santa Cruz, worked for Cisco in San Jose, then recently moved to the triangle area. I travel back to San Jose monthly, so if you ever want to grab coffee and pick my brain you're more than welcome to.

I can't really add much more to what's already been said, but I really don't regret my decision at all. In fact I'm sitting here in San Jose itching to fly back to NC. Sure there are many things that I miss from CA, but you can't beat affordable housing, in safe neighborhoods, with friendly neighbors, and nice warm summers!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,015 times
We moved here from the SF Bay Area almost 3 years ago and we love it here. Four seasons, MUCH less traffic and great diversity. It was scary to move so far but I have never looked back, no regrets.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
"Shock of your life"....thats what you will be in for......San Jose does not compare to Raleigh.....San Jose has more diversity, definitely more companies to choose from.....Weather is gorgeous there....Close to San Francisco....Only drawback about San Jose is Cost of living.....Yes Raliegh beats San Jose hands down......but me personally I value my sanity....And as single person, I would pick San Jose over Raleigh....just plain more to do and more to keep me occupied..Good luck on what place you decide.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM

371 posts, read 1,218,857 times
When I was in SF, I was tired of commuting to and from work (used to take a bus, then a train and a bus).

Old 03-17-2011, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz80 View Post
I grew up near SFO, went to college in Santa Cruz, worked for Cisco in San Jose, then recently moved to the triangle area. I travel back to San Jose monthly, so if you ever want to grab coffee and pick my brain you're more than welcome to.

I can't really add much more to what's already been said, but I really don't regret my decision at all. In fact I'm sitting here in San Jose itching to fly back to NC. Sure there are many things that I miss from CA, but you can't beat affordable housing, in safe neighborhoods, with friendly neighbors, and nice warm summers!
Thanks for the encouraging response, good to know that there are other transplants in NC and doing well too. Didn't know that Cisco had a office in RTP too..here it is one of the biggest employer >10K I believe.
I always find Northern CA weather cold most of the year..summer if it comes..lasts only 10-15 days IMO. Winter is all rain and rain

Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullu99 View Post
Thanks for the encouraging response, good to know that there are other transplants in NC and doing well too. Didn't know that Cisco had a office in RTP too..here it is one of the biggest employer >10K I believe.
I always find Northern CA weather cold most of the year..summer if it comes..lasts only 10-15 days IMO. Winter is all rain and rain
Cisco has over 4000 in RTP.

Oh, and AMEN to the cold. I find the weather in SJ to be too cold for much of the year. I need some warmth...but probably more than the average person.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:24 AM

229 posts, read 703,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullu99 View Post
We have I believe 12 buildings in RTP, each 3-4 stories tall. I generally work from home though since my team is back in CA instead of being located out here. I've always felt CA was way too cold also. I lived near the beach in Santa Cruz and there were really only a few days per year that you'd even consider going to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary