Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:53 PM

90 posts, read 296,922 times

Advertisements

I so agree with everyone's list - especially Harris and Bass Lake park.

I'd add

I really, really like: The Holly Springs School of Dance! That place rocks.
The sense of community at things like Kids Appreciation Day, Holly Fest and other town events...
Police, Fire and EMS (Wake County sends us their best.) Holly Springs public service is stellar. Seriously.
Bass Lake Draft House
Homegrown Pizza
Movies, concerts, plays, programs, classes - all at our incredible Cultural Arts Center.
Parks and Recs is actually pretty comprehensive - more so than our neighbors, with respect.
On Halloween night having McGruff out trick or treating with the kids!

And last, but absolutely not least - NOVARTIS! Thank you for the hundreds of local trade jobs over the next several years! And welcome to an incredibly prestigious world class company! We welcome your multi-cultural, profoundly educated people as much as your tax dollars. Really!

Things I don't like:

One stable hair salon that doesn't suck would be nice (maybe Salon Bedazzle is it, I don't know.)
Definitely we need more restaurants - that don't serve mainly pizza.
The dump - thank you, Wake County, for that fair and honest deal that you made so long ago...
A few more churches would be great.
And I'd love the see the local gas stations downtown cleaned up a bit. But maybe that's just me.

Last edited by kristennc; 11-16-2007 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,317 times
I have come to deeply appreciate the lack of light pollution in the area of Holly Springs where we live. On crystal clear evenings like this, I walk my dog, let him offleash (not in a residential area), and can see the stars very clearly - and see the dog due to the vivid moonlight.

I love the breeze. It seems to be constant, from the day we signed a contract, through the summer, to today.

We love the quiet.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 AM

81 posts, read 249,258 times
Default high school

Rin, May I ask what you don't like about HSHS? I have a son that will be a freshmen next year.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 35,506 times
I think HS is a nice town, I'm glad to be a resident and it's great to see it developing before our eyes. The cultural center and library (though small) are beautiful and the shopping areas are perfect for a small town. It's sad that there is no town center where people can gather and shop, but I think that will come in time (a new P.O. would be nice too - have you ever smelled that lobby??). One major downside is how diffcult it is to appreciate HS when people are DRIVING ON YOUR TAIL down Sunset Lake and Holly Springs Rds! What the hell is the rush around here? I moved from Boston and the drivers there are angels by comparison. I think we're missing a sense of community here; it just seems like a bunch of self-interested, disconnected individuals. The way people treat each other on the roads in HS, and Raleigh in general, speaks volumes. Oh, it would also be nice if drivers obeyed crosswalks - I'd like to remain ambulatory a while longer if possible.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan69 View Post
I think HS is a nice town, I'm glad to be a resident and it's great to see it developing before our eyes. The cultural center and library (though small) are beautiful and the shopping areas are perfect for a small town. It's sad that there is no town center where people can gather and shop, but I think that will come in time (a new P.O. would be nice too - have you ever smelled that lobby??). One major downside is how diffcult it is to appreciate HS when people are DRIVING ON YOUR TAIL down Sunset Lake and Holly Springs Rds! What the hell is the rush around here? I moved from Boston and the drivers there are angels by comparison. I think we're missing a sense of community here; it just seems like a bunch of self-interested, disconnected individuals. The way people treat each other on the roads in HS, and Raleigh in general, speaks volumes. Oh, it would also be nice if drivers obeyed crosswalks - I'd like to remain ambulatory a while longer if possible.
The problem with tailgaters and speeders is hardly a HS thing. You'll find them in Cary, Raleigh, Wake Forest and all other towns inbetween. I run into lots of them on the beltline, I-40 and 540. Also on Capital blv, 98, 50, and the small two-lane small roads inbetween. So yes is a big problem in the entire triangle area.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,030 times
I also love the clear skies here, makes me realize how polluted the skies are up north.
I also regulary have people on my tail on HS road and such. Let them go around you and possibly get a ticket.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 15,960 times
Default Hs

Holly Springs is definitely a good place to live. It is experiencing growths like the rest of the Triangle. But growth pains are better than the alternative. Ironically I hear a lot of newcomers complaining about the growth, which doesn't make any sense. I'm a native so I can say that. I will try to avoid getting on my soapbox. I have enjoyed the growth as it had brought a lot of opportunity to the area. The economy is strong and when people move here, they are generally here to stay. Of course the landfill in HS isn't good, but I don't see it being a huge negative. The Wal-Mart and other commercial developments will get HS closer to the ideal 75/25 tax split (residential/commercial) that is a healthy tax base. Another good thing is the steady increase in property values (residential and commercial).

Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 PM

23 posts, read 38,477 times
Origonally I am from Southern CA and recently moved to Maui, my husband has been here 9 months. We feel it isn't for us because of the lack of ability to grow here. Basically the only thing you can afford is Rent and food, both are about twice as much as Cali But entertainment is free because its beautiful here. My husband got an offer to move to NC and we are wanting to take it, but are at a loss of where to live. We do want that green, lots of tree feel, no traffic, we would like neighbors as we have 3 kids. And would want great schools. Do you suggest anything for us to do a search on, we will probably fly out and do a run around in about a month. Just an idea of towns. We also don't want to be too close to the coast because of the threat of Hurricanes. Any suggestions would be great!! TIA

Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 7,702 times
Sunset Oaks in HS. It seems like every house has 1-3 kids which go to the local elementary, middle, or high schools. I just moved from there to a farm in Chapel Hill. To me the only downside is the lack of close friends for my dd to just hang out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary