U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 AM

605 posts, read 2,111,423 times

Advertisements

Are you sure they needed to actually come inside and do the room-to-room inspection like you mentioned? My insurance company recently sent me a letter about needing to inspect, but when I called to ask about it they said it was an outdoor inspection only. Just drive by, take a picture from the street, and that was it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM

26,457 posts, read 17,788,424 times
I'm in shock. Just got off the phone with USAA. It is legit and if I don' agree to let them in for inspection I might be dropped. Rep said because our house is insured for more than $650,000 and because they Did Not inspect the house when they first insured it 3 years ago, we fall under a new program with Cal, Fla, N.C. (program will eventually be for whole USA) where we have to be inspected every 3 years to make sure we are not underinsured, but of course they mean overinsured.

--------------new phone call TO usaa now-----------------------

Manager finally promised me at this time I will not be dropped because of this but to expect another call in 3 years wanting inspection.
She said in 2007 when we bought the house, they did not inspect houses they insured but now they would.

Thanks to all who responded.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM

2,151 posts, read 3,209,150 times
I *just* switched my homeowners insurance from State Farm to USAA. They did NOT require an inspection. Hmmm.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM

2,108 posts, read 4,034,141 times
When we were Nationwide customers we received a similar letter twice. Both times I called my agent and they backed off the requirement.
The story I was given was that they were looking for potential liability items- a railing that wasn't properly secured, etc.

Just sorta ticked me off that they sent a letter out of the blue saying "we're coming to inspect your property" ... I thought of returning it with "and the dogs will be inspecting you, but they're friendly unless they think you're up to no good."

Frank

Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM

9,122 posts, read 10,669,064 times
I've never heard of an insurance company NOT doing a drive by when they insure the house. But I still can't see any reason why they need to come in...makes no sense.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM

8,509 posts, read 12,655,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Rep said because our house is insured for more than $650,000 and because they Did Not inspect the house when they first insured it 3 years ago, we fall under a new program with Cal, Fla, N.C. (program will eventually be for whole USA) where we have to be inspected every 3 years to make sure we are not underinsured, but of course they mean overinsured.
No, they mean undersinsured. You almost certainly have replacement value insurance and the insurance company wants to make sure that you are paying for enough coverage so that they don't get stuck paying a huge replacement cost that wasn't properly underwritten. I think many policies even have clauses that mandate that your coverage value must be at least a certain percentage of the replacement value.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,887,463 times
On one hand, it does seem weird, but just because it is new and different doesn't make it wrong. After all, we expect our homeowners insurance to reimburse us in the event of a loss, and that projected reimbursement is based purely on our word that the home is what it is, followed up by an adjusters visit when you file a claim. Pretty big risk on the insurers part IMHO---AND if they can prevent a problem by pointing out a dangerous situation, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM

369 posts, read 687,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm in shock. Just got off the phone with USAA. It is legit and if I don' agree to let them in for inspection I might be dropped. Rep said because our house is insured for more than $650,000 and because they Did Not inspect the house when they first insured it 3 years ago, we fall under a new program with Cal, Fla, N.C. (program will eventually be for whole USA) where we have to be inspected every 3 years to make sure we are not underinsured, but of course they mean overinsured.

--------------new phone call TO usaa now-----------------------

Manager finally promised me at this time I will not be dropped because of this but to expect another call in 3 years wanting inspection.
She said in 2007 when we bought the house, they did not inspect houses they insured but now they would.

Thanks to all who responded.
Well no wonder I have never got this from them, my home is no where near worth $650K Anyway glad you got it sorted out.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM

2,255 posts, read 2,206,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
We also have USAA for insurance and about 3 years after living in our brand new home, they sent us paperwork to fill out to re-address whether we had enough insurance (was also available online). There was never any talk about a physical inspection though. I'd call back USAA and ask what's going on - that would get to the bottom of it quickly.
Same here. They sent me paperwork to fill out and I sent it back a few days ago. I've had USAA since 1998 and have never had a re-inspection.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM

26,457 posts, read 17,788,424 times
There are a lot of things about this that trouble me. First my family has had USAA for over 50 years and never once filed a claim- and for rental property no less. my mother's policy number was 2 digits so she was one of the first.
2nd. why would they issue such a big policy without even seeing the house? they said they trusted me- well why not trust me now?

3rd. for a 3 year old house how much can change? I could see this for a 20 year old house but not a brand new one.

4th. they said they sent a letter but I never got one
5th. what person in their right mind would agree to make an appointment with a stranger who wanted to come inside their house and take pictures?

6th. As soon as I asked the guy on the phone to send me his card so I could verify his info, he all of a sudden said I could refuse. That was a big red flag.

7th. rep on phone said my policy would be "in jeopardy" if I refused the inspection but the manager said I could refuse once, my policy would not be cancelled but I would have to agree in 3 years when they call again.

8th my policy is for a specific amount so if I'm under insured then that is my problem. In all my experience with insurance policies, they always adjust for inflation without inspection.

OK I understand policies in business change and there are new rules. I'm over it by now but I can tell you I was alarmed somebody had me marked after that initial call. The manager agreed phone guy did not handle it well (separate contractor) and she would make sure they were informed of better way to handle similar situations.
Thanks for all responses. I now have 3 years to get completely unpacked and have my house in inspection order- literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary