Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM

12 posts, read 24,867 times

Advertisements

I have just recently began my relo again after a long year of waiting. Originally I was set on south Cary but after looking long and hard I am very close to settling in West Cary at Copperleaf. My motivation was the larger lots, great schools and overall proximity. My questions are:

1. Are the schools as good as they look on paper? I have read alter reviews but would appreciate some honest feedback ( my son would be going to Highcroft elementary in 2nd grade )
2. How is Copperleaf in general as a development? Lots of kids? Social?
3. How is the shopping and restaurants in the area?

I am trying o find the right area with the best schools that is close enough to shopping. I currently live in CT and have a 10 min ride minimum ton just about any store. We are looking for a family friendly development with lots of kids with an accessible location. I have a budget of approx. $900k and have found a great custom builder who can build me a beautiful house at a very good price. My challenge has been that I need a house that can accommodate 2 kids ( my wife is pregnant ) as well as my in- laws. I have struggled to find a resale with a great floor plan that works for my entire family. This has led me down the path of using a custom builder. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. I love the entire area and my entire family is very excited to be heading to NC after a brutal winter.

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 AM

85 posts, read 123,808 times
Best bet for your family-Stay in CT., It is more your fitting to your lifestyle.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
How big a house do you need?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 AM

475 posts, read 1,574,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddicorcia1 View Post
Best bet for your family-Stay in CT., It is more your fitting to your lifestyle.
So we have a newcomer to the area asking for advice, and this is the best you can do? At times it is better not to post anything than to make strange comments like this.

jmos27 - My boys go to Highcroft. I transferred them from Mills Park TO HDE when MPE went traditional. Both teachers are exceptional. They genuinely take interest in the students and work with them - we have been happy with them. Having experienced both MPE and HDE, I can confidently say these schools are both really good and I am so glad we are in such a good school area.

Hope this helps,

D

Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
With regard to the schools, I think that you will find good elementary schools in S. Cary as well as W. Cary. The noticable change will occur at the high school level.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 AM

297 posts, read 740,320 times
With regard to shopping, you'll probably feel a bit more isolated in Copperleaf than you do in your current CT situation. The Streets at Southpointe, a large regional mall, is about 20 minutes from Copperleaf through backroads. I don't find it to be a bad commute at all, and I have made it from my driveway in nearby Cary Park to a restaurant at Southpointe in 16 minutes, but I think that was probably exceptional. We don't have many restaurants nearby, but there are several restaurants on High House, again about 15 minutes away. The Harris Teeter, one of your closer shopping centers has Subway and a Chinese place, and rumors that other fast food is coming, but no sit down restaurants of note. Beaver Creek Shopping Center in Apex has restaurants, box stores, and assorted other shops and such and it's only about 15 minutes away.

I think the feeling of isolation comes from having to drive through rural pockets to get to shops and restaurants. I happen to find that extremely appealing, but when you just want to "run" out to a store, it can feel a tiny bit tedious at times.

Copperleaf is a beautiful neighborhood with great schools and lots of kids. On those issues, no need to fret.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
With regard to the schools, I think that you will find good elementary schools in S. Cary as well as W. Cary. The noticable change will occur at the high school level.
Agreed!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 14,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
For another newcomer considering W. Cary, can you explain the "noticeable changes" b/w S. Cary and W. Cary at the high school level?

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM

189 posts, read 507,537 times
[quote=jmos27;18413890]I have just recently began my relo again after a long year of waiting. Originally I was set on south Cary but after looking long and hard I am very close to settling in West Cary at Copperleaf. My motivation was the larger lots, great schools and overall proximity. My questions are:

1. Are the schools as good as they look on paper? I have read alter reviews but would appreciate some honest feedback ( my son would be going to Highcroft elementary in 2nd grade )

Based on my friends and family's experience, there is not a whole lot of variation in Wake County schools. At Elem level, the teachers are the key and whether they have the time and resources to differentiate within the class. Strong PTA and parental involvement also makes a huge difference. I know folks who are unhappy with Panther Creek's huge enrollment and some who are happier with Cary High's size and viceversa. Ofcourse in this area you cannot bank on buying a house in a specific school area and not expect reassignments.

3. How is the shopping and restaurants in the area?
Copperleaf and West Cary area is still quite remote in terms of amenities.

You will have to drive 20 mins to Southpoint, Briercreek or Beavercreek shopping and have to go to Cary proper or Morrisville for kids activities-Dance, Martial arts, Sports, and Doctor's offices, Restaurants etc. In this economy, the shopping centers have not materialized as quickly as planned. But again if you dont expect to go out much during weekdays, then it is a quiet area close to RTP.

I am trying o find the right area with the best schools that is close enough to shopping. I currently live in CT and have a 10 min ride minimum ton just about any store. We are looking for a family friendly development with lots of kids with an accessible location. I have a budget of approx. $900k and have found a great custom builder who can build me a beautiful house at a very good price. My challenge has been that I need a house that can accommodate 2 kids ( my wife is pregnant ) as well as my in- laws. I have struggled to find a resale with a great floor plan that works for my entire family. This has led me down the path of using a custom builder. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. I love the entire area and my entire family is very excited to be heading to NC after a brutal winter.

There are more choices in S.Cary in that price range vs West Cary.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
[quote=gunni;18419912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmos27 View Post
Copperleaf and West Cary area is still quite remote in terms of amenities.

You will have to drive 20 mins to Southpoint, Briercreek or Beavercreek shopping and have to go to Cary proper or Morrisville for kids activities-Dance, Martial arts, Sports, and Doctor's offices, Restaurants etc. In this economy, the shopping centers have not materialized as quickly as planned. But again if you dont expect to go out much during weekdays, then it is a quiet area close to RTP.
I agree with this....but I'm not sure where you are moving here from in CT. We moved here from Long Island and the big difference down here is that when something is 20 minutes away, it's because of distance - not traffic. If you are 10 minutes from anything in CT because of traffic that is one less stressor you'll have to deal with. My DH was in NY this week and he said he just can't believe he used to deal with that traffic on a daily basis. Not to mention the weather....bad weather seems to follow him there

That NW corner of Cary was still just a little TOO remote for us when we moved. We didn't want to wait for an area to be built up with ALL the amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary