Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM

564 posts, read 872,959 times

Advertisements

[quote=ApexWolfpacker;22762220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post

I would like to compare such factual data with yours.

I know what the factual data is for Apex Highschool. They provided it and we studied it for four years leading up to college admission.

I can pull that out of a file can and I'd be pleased to compare it to yours, which presumably you have since you're demanding it from others.

The Apex High data includes the number of students admitted to the major NC universities, their avg. SAT, avg. GPA and avg. number of AP credits
Are you referring to annesg as she/he said "But my time in academia showed me again and again that kids from small "Bargain" private schools are often ill-prepared for college (its size, diversity, and demands) and might not get the same acceptances simply due to their not being the same options." and I asked for factual information to back it up. I have done my homework. Too often, people make claims, yet can't back it up. I still have all of my notebooks from the three different cities I have lived in during my children's education. Sorry for a bit of emotion here, but it certainly is irritating when someone makes a claim as to how a choice made by others falls short, yet can't back it up.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times
[quote=janster100;22777438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post

Are you referring to annesg as she/he said "But my time in academia showed me again and again that kids from small "Bargain" private schools are often ill-prepared for college (its size, diversity, and demands) and might not get the same acceptances simply due to their not being the same options." and I asked for factual information to back it up. I have done my homework. Too often, people make claims, yet can't back it up. I still have all of my notebooks from the three different cities I have lived in during my children's education. Sorry for a bit of emotion here, but it certainly is irritating when someone makes a claim as to how a choice made by others falls short, yet can't back it up.
I sooooo agree. What sort of data could annesg have to show that "kids from small "Bargain" private schools are often ill-prepared for college "

thats a crazy claim. and then to post it as if it were fact based.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
[quote=mcfamilyof4;22777760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post

I sooooo agree. What sort of data could annesg have to show that "kids from small "Bargain" private schools are often ill-prepared for college "

thats a crazy claim. and then to post it as if it were fact based.

You are right--I don't have data. I'll have to look for some. My apologies.

I was relying totally on my own anecdotal experience both as an educator and as a student myself, and that carries an emotional load as well for me. I went to a small religious school and academics were prioritized over religion but between school and home I was raised in a bubble and was utterly ill prepared for college!! Later, as a college professor, I saw many students from small "bargain" private schools flounder either academically or socially because they were entering a world they'd been protected from all their lives.

Please also note I was talking about "bargain" schools (schools that people go to primarily because they were affordable options), not necessarily the schools many of you are mentioning. I would not call St. David's a bargain--it costs what, 3x of Thales? And Thales isn't a religious school!

On a very personal note--and that's how I was responding, not as an educational statistician, it's been my experience that a superior public education can often compete quite well with the average private school provided the student has education-minded parents and the student takes advantage of the many opportunities. The public schools cannot compete, quite often, with the superior private schools, which I mentioned, and which I mentioned are certainly NOT "bargains."

I apologize for upsetting folks. I didn't mean to pain all private schools with the same brush, nor did I mean to say that public school is always a better option. But I do stand by my original statement that you get what you pay for, and people should not go into a private school assuming it's "better" because you shell out $5,000 for it. It might be better for your child. It might not.

As I wrote earlier: "I don't necessarily disagree with you--there's a lot to be said for private schools--my children were in private school when we lived in FL and we loved it. However, it cost more than double what Thales costs and far more than what WCPSS pays on a per-child basis (and offered no busing). I have over a decade of teaching experience myself at a university level and paying for school in no way makes your child better prepared for college than not paying for it--paying for a high quality, education-first (no profit and political agenda) education is a great way to go and if we could afford it here I'd do it in a heartbeat!!! The schools we can afford are not going to compete on the high school level for what the public schools offer."

Last edited by annesg; 01-31-2012 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: add a quote

Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
[quote=annesg;22782546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
paying for a high quality, education-first (no profit and political agenda) education is a great way to go and if we could afford it here I'd do it in a heartbeat!!!
My biggest frustration with public schools is that there is a political agenda and it's usually linked to test scores which imho, often times has nothing to do with preparing my kids for college or life. That doesn't mean that they can't get an excellent college prep education at public schools. But school districts in this area are fraught with political agendas.

I so know what you meant by political agenda in your statement and I'm not nit picking at what you are saying. I imagine you might agree with the above... I'm just venting.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
[quote=PDXmom;22783064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post

My biggest frustration with public schools is that there is a political agenda and it's usually linked to test scores which imho, often times has nothing to do with preparing my kids for college or life. That doesn't mean that they can't get an excellent college prep education at public schools. But school districts in this area are fraught with political agendas.

I so know what you meant by political agenda in your statement and I'm not nit picking at what you are saying. I imagine you might agree with the above... I'm just venting.
Yes, I TOTALLY agree!!! I hadn't thought about that, but you are so right.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincesses View Post
Well we didn't get our magnet choice. We made the waitlists at Sterling & Magellan, but I'm not putting too much hope in that happening. We plan to attend an open house at Thales Academy. Does anyone have any information about this school? Or another reasonably affordable private school with small classes and a strong math program...
Any chance we could get back to ^^the topic^^ of this thread?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Any chance we could get back to ^^the topic^^ of this thread?
That post was almost a year ago; I presume the OP has moved on and found their solution. There are a number of other threads on public and private schools. I guess I'm not sure there is a topic to go back to here other than opinion discussion of various options.

fwiw,
Mike

Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
That post was almost a year ago; I presume the OP has moved on and found their solution. There are a number of other threads on public and private schools. I guess I'm not sure there is a topic to go back to here other than opinion discussion of various options.

fwiw,
Mike

Sorry -- the thread was revived with this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmomraleigh View Post
We are looking at Thales Academy in Raleigh for the 2012-2013 year. Any thoughts on the school in Raleigh/Wake Forest/Apex would be great - both positive and negative.

So there actually IS a current question to get back to .....

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Sorry I didn't take the time to sort through it all. As usual, you are correct!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
Sorry I didn't take the time to sort through it all. For once, you are correct!
Fixed it for ya .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary