Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,932,040 times

Advertisements

I can understand both sides of this and past threads on this issue I have commented. Yes, kids will be kids and parents will be parents. The issue should not be with the kids, but their parents. Not judging...just acknowledging behavior...Unfortunately it will take a tragedy to get anyone to listen and adjust the parent’s view on allowing their children in the streets for recreation. When I lived in a neighborhood in Knightdale and expressed concern with kids on scooters and bikes darting out without regard for cars...I received very little support. HOA did nothing. I've since moved on, but will always stand my ground that streets are for cars to navigate, not playing and having a free-for-all. We all have backyards, school yards, etc to play in. In my opinion it's also how you're raised, if you're taught manners/respect you will treat people and your surroundings as such...plain and simple. This is regardless as to where you're from/raised...North, South, East, West, etc...I agree with others that posted, talk to the parents, express your concerns, but be prepared that it will fall on deaf ears. that's my $0.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,721,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi512 View Post
I am NOT ranting about it. I'm asking how to deal with it. Perhaps someone else can give some constructive solution/advice.
Actually, if you reread your post, nowhere did you in fact "ask how to deal with it." I, too, was wondering what the point of the post was other than a (justified) rant.

Probably this would be better in the Parenting forum than local?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:22 PM

119 posts, read 260,350 times
if it is in a neighborhood:
yes, kids are going to play in the street... nothing you can do about it and there is no sense going to the parents because they will defend their kids right to play in the streets. The only thing expressing your concern will do is get you on the kids bad side.

if it is on a main road/non-residential road:
Depends on how old the kids are. If they are over 10 years old there might not be much you can do. If the kids are young then the parents are being bad parents and going and talking to them might help. On the other hand, if they arent watching their kids, then probably they are the kinds of parents who just dont care and will not listen to you

Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,144,270 times
Default sidewalk?

You didnt mention of there are sidewalks in the nhood? If not the kids will always want / have to play in the street.

good luck talking to the parents, you might be suprised how totally different some parents will react. I have to assume since it is 2 carts involved that the parents already know so I think you should be prepped for a disagreement. Do the kids move over when cars approach? maybe try to get the parents to teach the kids that if it is not happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary