U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 PM

34 posts, read 111,690 times
Default Thinking of moving to Raleigh-What are the Pros and Cons

We are looking to move from the Midwest. We are looking at the Raleigh area. What are some of the Pros and Cons of living in Raleigh, NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 PM

58 posts, read 60,265 times
We recently moved here from Austin, TX. Overall I have found the people to be nice, kind, helpful and sincere. That is a huge pro.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:19 PM

267 posts, read 269,576 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. Everything will be different depening on where you are in life. For example: Are you a young family in your 20s with babies or are you retiring?

I can only speak from my own experience, of course. I am in my mid 30s, divorced with 2 young teenage children, and I work in healthcare. I moved here from Houston, Texas 2 years ago.

The pros for me are: being in a new place to start over, 4 seasons of weather, job security (I am an RN so that kind of goes anywhere for me), some small town feel with some city attributes, and I'm within easy driving distance to both mountains and the ocean.

Cons: There's not nearly as much to do here as there was in Houston, the driving habits of the area have taken some getting used to, the pollen explosion that happens every year (my car is so gross right now), state taxes which are very different than I was used to, and no one here knows how to 2 Step.

It's a nice area. I've lived all over from Maine to California. There are good people here. It will be what you make of it.

~Amy

Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 PM

74 posts, read 83,248 times
Move only if you have a job-

PROS: Very family friendly,great outdoor activities for hiking,running,boats etc.,beaches,mountains,

CONS: No public transportation,Hot and Humid for a extended period,drive everywhere,more and more strip malls,toll roads

Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,904,002 times
I'm from the midwest...

Pro's
-Weather- like one 5 inch snow storm and everything shuts down...in the Midwest that's not even suitable for practice...
-PPL are friendly
-Traffic is great and the roads are well done...very few potholes
-lots of parks/recreation
-laid back culture and very diverse
-convenient in regard to the airport and shopping..
-housing is affordable
-Proximity to ATL, DC, Charlotte, and the rest of the NE....
-Clean and beautiful...very scenic...
-They love BBALL

Con's
-Summer-this will be the biggest adjustment is the heat....99 degree's for months on end...
-Ticks/Mosquitoes/Snakes/Spiders/Wasp are abundant
-Crazy crime...crime is not bad compared to Detroit/Cleveland/Chicago but when something happens it's bizarre....some guy and his daughter got shot for no reason just the other day...their alive but still
-After 9 PM it's dead quiet and most stores close at 11pm
-Jobs - this area is heavy healthcare/pharmaceutical and unfortunately those industry's are consolidating and cutting back
-They are indifferet about football....

Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM

8,990 posts, read 17,557,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
-Crazy crime...crime is not bad compared to Detroit/Cleveland/Chicago but when something happens it's bizarre....some guy and his daughter got shot for no reason just the other day...their alive but still
Dude, that was Fayetteville. That's not in the Triangle. I'm sure we can find some other random crimes an hour and a half away from Raleigh to sensationalize if we try. But those would be equally useless to the OP.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 PM

7,336 posts, read 9,256,553 times
PROS--drive 15-20 minutes and you can be in the middle of nowhere--well almost nowhere.
fresh air--beautiful drives outside of the cities--the best BBQ, greens and mac 'n cheese known to man--

CONS---heat, humidity and more humidity.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:15 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,692,074 times
Pro - Great family area
- Good weather...I like the heat.
- It's "the South" light
-public schools are pretty good

Cons - if you come from an area with close proximity to the beach, then 2.5 hours seems like forever.
- lack of great restaurants. Some good ones, but too few.
- if you like a little hustle-bustle, look elsewhere.
- public schools are pretty good.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM

235 posts, read 263,121 times
PROS: great schools (oveercrowding exists though), great weather (though hot & humid during the summer), very family-friendly, lots of activities for adults & kids, laid-back, very few rude or pretentious people, good restaurants.

CONS: none so far.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,904,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Dude, that was Fayetteville. That's not in the Triangle. I'm sure we can find some other random crimes an hour and a half away from Raleigh to sensationalize if we try. But those would be equally useless to the OP.
I thought that was in Raleigh on Fayetteville St...LOL....still it was just weird...violent crime in NC is just plain weird period....ppl are so nice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary