Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM

95 posts, read 224,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think both would work. In the end the tipping point for me would be where my job is located. I'm assuming one would provide a better commute than the other and that is where I would pick so I could have more time to enjoy the downtown area I chose to live in.
I'm probably one of the rare cases where neither is more convenient. Right now I'm 10 minutes from work, no highway, which is great! Either downtown area will put me at about 20 minutes (without traffic...), so I'm definitley going to be spending more time in my car once I move but hope to make up for it during the weekends I work close to Brier Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:53 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
I admit I am partial to Durham since I grew up there, but I am only a couple years older than you and also was never into the club scene, but more into a laid back bar/lounge and coffee shop. I like that Durham is smaller and more of a close knit community and you can get everything you need right there within walking/biking distance, and of course the Bull City Connector. It seems like there is something opening up downtown almost every week now, with so much more coming. Yes, it's a bit slower compared to a larger city like Raleigh, but it's not going to be like that for long. It's still a city though with many single people your age to meet!

I can't wait till we sell the house next year, as I am itching to get back! So much has changed in just the last two years since I left. If you're renting just give it a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. There isn't a whole lot of activity on the streets, but there is always something going on. I can't even keep up.

Also, I use to live near Brier Creek and found it much easier and quicker to get to downtown Durham than downtown Raleigh.

Good Luck with whichever you decide!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM

69 posts, read 181,551 times
I have to agree that downtown Raleigh has more energy than downtown Durham as it's downtown revival started well before Durham's did. That being said, Durham is on an acceleration tracked that is shocking. Also the business are spread all over the downtown which may be why you don't see as much pedestrian traffic now but could be good in the long run as Durham could end up with a downtown with none of the dead zones that Charlotte and Raleigh have.

Here's what I think you should consider. Downtown Durham is more artsy and intellectual while Raleigh is more corporate and political. In otherwords Durham is more geekish and eclectic, while Raleigh is more Yuppie. There are plenty of young people in Durham but it is also a place where your mom would be happy to go have a drink and meet others her age. Durham doesn't have many pick up bars which means it is very easy to meet people. You just kind of sit down and talk to your neighbor. I love that about Jame Joyce, Full Steam and Bull Mccabe to name a few. Durham also has a large age range in their bars from the fresh out of college to the retiring baby boomers. When I go out in Raleigh it doesn't feel as laid back or friendly. It feels more pickup and clicky. So if you want to be around other young professionals Raleigh is the best choice, but if you want a laid back diverse scene then you would like Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary