Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM

18 posts, read 44,731 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area from the San Francisco Bay Area, and I'm wondering what are the pros and cons about living in Raleigh compared to the Bay Area (such as don't make traffic as one of Raleigh's cons, since I don't think it's worse than the Bay Area). I want it to be overall in the Raleigh/Durham area, not comparing with one individual city.

Thanks to those that reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,114 times
Hi Sebastian,
I am going to generalize my comments since you want a comparison between locations.

Negative: You will take a HUGE hit in diversity. The RTP is part of the biblebelt, therefore moderately conservative, but not close-minded.
Positive: People in the RTP are less vain/stuck-up when it comes to who you are, what you drive and what you do. MUCH easier to approach and befriend.
Negative: You won't have much access to the variety of cuisine readily available in SF and Napa/Sonoma Valley
Positive: I love/miss barbeQue, brunswick stew, and hushpuppies!!!!
Negative: Not as many high profile cultural activities and events readily available.
Positive: Lower Cost of living. You can actually afford Real Estate in the RTP, with a backyard and privacy!
Negative: Humid summers and allergies, but you enjoy 4 distinct summers
Positive: Not on a fault line ready to swallow you up

Hope this starts the comments!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Hi Sebastian,
I am going to generalize my comments since you want a comparison between locations.

Negative: You will take a HUGE hit in diversity. The RTP is part of the biblebelt, therefore moderately conservative, but not close-minded.
Positive: People in the RTP are less vain/stuck-up when it comes to who you are, what you drive and what you do. MUCH easier to approach and befriend.
Negative: You won't have much access to the variety of cuisine readily available in SF and Napa/Sonoma Valley
Positive: I love/miss barbeQue, brunswick stew, and hushpuppies!!!!
Negative: Not as many high profile cultural activities and events readily available.
Positive: Lower Cost of living. You can actually afford Real Estate in the RTP, with a backyard and privacy!
Positive: Not on a fault line ready to swallow you up

Hope this starts the comments!
Thanks a lot.

I don't know how much more diverse it can get than where I live. I live where there is more than 60% asian and less than 30% white, and I'm white. I'm NOT racist but I'm getting sick of it since once I went to a Pizza Hut and I was the only white guy.

Again thanks a lot.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 PM

I'm also wondering what are the things to do in Raleigh/Durham area. Don't say anything that every city has (such as grocery stores and movie theaters). But things like state parks, zoos, etc.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,114 times
You will fit in much more being white in the RTP than most areas around SF. I can honestly say that the RTP area is definitely whitewashed, again not really that diverse.

You have the typical museums and performing arts centers scattered across the RTP (CAry Amplitheather/Durham Performing arts/Maymandi (sp?) senter) as well as the Durham Bulls minor league baseball (very relaxing and fun with family or group outing), three close universities with corresponding bars/clubs, Asheville zoo, Blue ridge parkway (Biltmore Estate/blowing rock), the Outerbanks...but most importantly the crowds, cost, lines, and wait times are not as large/long as those found in big towns.

On time my friends and I went to the Mountains, hiked around a couple of waterfalls, and ran into some EU foreign gals, had group dinner/wine tour in the Biltmore Estate with them, then went offroading/nature tour. Fun day/night...

Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,093,500 times
RTP area? That's an office park. Most of its companies are diverse.

I think you mean the Triangle. There is a lot of diversity here compared to many places.

We don't have a zoo. There is one in Asheboro, a very long drive away. It's a large boring zoo with a lot of walking.

We are landlocked. No water views (except Jordan Lake, about 30 miles away, and it's manmade, but no restaurants or hotels overlooking it or anything). No fun that goes along with living in a city by the sea (or lake).

San Francisco is beautiful, breathtaking, exciting -- with lots to do, and lots of different restaurants.

The Triangle, in comparison... there is no comparison. Living here is okay. But I can't compare it in any way to San Francisco.

It's also miserably hot here in the summer. I'd rather have the rainy skies of San Francisco.

If you like suburbia, you'll like the Triangle. You definitely need a car to get around, unlike San Francisco.

The Triangle has its pretty spots, but overall, it is not known for its scenic beauty. Residents go to the beach, two to four hours away, depending upon where you go, and the mountains, about four hours away

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
You will fit in much more being white in the RTP than most areas around SF. I can honestly say that the RTP area is definitely whitewashed, again not really that diverse.

You have the typical museums and performing arts centers scattered across the RTP (CAry Amplitheather/Durham Performing arts/Maymandi (sp?) senter) as well as the Durham Bulls minor league baseball (very relaxing and fun with family or group outing), three close universities with corresponding bars/clubs, Asheville zoo, Blue ridge parkway (Biltmore Estate/blowing rock), the Outerbanks...but most importantly the crowds, cost, lines, and wait times are not as large/long as those found in big towns.

On time my friends and I went to the Mountains, hiked around a couple of waterfalls, and ran into some EU foreign gals, had group dinner/wine tour in the Biltmore Estate with them, then went offroading/nature tour. Fun day/night...

Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,055,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian K. View Post
I am thinking of relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area from the San Francisco Bay Area, and I'm wondering what are the pros and cons about living in Raleigh compared to the Bay Area (such as don't make traffic as one of Raleigh's cons, since I don't think it's worse than the Bay Area). I want it to be overall in the Raleigh/Durham area, not comparing with one individual city.

Thanks to those that reply.
You don't say what part of the Bay Area you come from, whether that's San Francisco itself or one of the cities in the area. That affects your expectations.

I moved here from the Bay Area (Mountain View) almost 2 years ago. I miss a lot of the things and am considering a move back there. There are many nice things here, restaurants, parks, etc. However, I miss being able to get to the beach in 30-45 minutes. Here the beach is a solid 2 hours away. Going to a show/performance is probably easier here. There are venues spread out all over the place.

Overall, keep in mind that Raleigh will NOT feel like being in San Francisco. Depending on where you live you might feel isolated. Live inside the Beltline (Raleigh) or somewhere in Durham and you will feel less isolation. There are many neighborhoods that feel suburban.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Pharmboy, would you please stop saying "the RTP" when discussing the region. It is "The Triangle", when discussing the region, or "RTP", i.e. "Research Triangle Park" (not "The Research Triangle Park"), which as mentioned is only the business/research center and not part of the residential area.

Bad enough that you California folks have to tack "the ___" onto interstates
Quote:
Freudian slip...

Last edited by Francois; 04-05-2011 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Okay... disclaimer: I live in Cary.

We have so many Indian people here that my Netflix instant download queue always recommends Hindi movies more than any others as "movies that people in 27513 like to watch."

If that's not diverse enough, I dunno what else to say.

We actually DO have a quite diverse population here in Cary. Plenty of white people, no doubt, but here in my house, there are white adults and half-Asian kids. We are our own little melting pot. Hehehehe.

Things to do:

NC Museum of Art (just remodeled... phenomenal!)
Lake Crabtree/Umstead Park (Biking, horseback riding, hiking, etc)
NC Zoo (it's in Asheboro, but that's only about 45 minutes away, so no biggie... it's huge)

There's more stuff, but you asked for big things.

Naturally we have sports and such (not into it myself) and we have concerts, that type of thing.

It's not exactly the most hopping place on earth, but it's nice if you like a mix of cultures and good outdoor activities.

Also, we are right between the mountains and the coast, so you can take easy day trips.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
If you move to the Triangle, I'd definitely look at living in one of the cities. I think the transition would be easier. Of course, if you live in one of the outlying burbs of the Bay Area, you won't mind (and will probably like) Raleigh's suburban areas. While you are likely to receive all sorts of advice from "it's the best thing I did" to "I hate it here", the reality is that you are going to have to make that decision for yourself after a visit or two.
The Triangle area has a lot to offer for a metro of about 1.75 million. With 3 major universities, the state government and RTP, you have a brainy population that matches some of the most educated places in the nation. There are two significant performing arts centers: one each in Raleigh and Durham. There are museums galore in both Raleigh and Durham with another one under construction. There are a myriad of sports venues that serve the highest level of college sports, NHL Hockey and Minor League Baseball. There are several outdoor concert venues including a massive 20,000+ amphitheater and a collection of more intimate settings. There's a huge state park within the city limits of Raleigh as well as recreation/beaches/boating areas on two significant resevoir lakes in the area. Some city parks have tennis courts and public pools while others have small lakes and paddle boats, etc. One of the city parks in Raleigh has significant playground for kids and one of the oldest working carousels in the nation. Raleigh also has a well developed greenway system that links city parks throughout the city. Durham has the American Tobacco Trail and Eno River State Park is nearby. I don't know as much about these two but others here will.
Like other cities, Raleigh has its series of annual festivals, etc. downtown. Durham, Cary and Chapel Hill do as well. There are too many to list.
The cost of living well is a huge draw for the typical relocator. You can buy property as low as $100/SF for entry level and outlying properties and can live in some of the best properties and best neighborhoods for $300/SF or under.
As for diversity, there are areas that are definitely less diverse than others but, as another person here has already mentioned, parts of Cary and Morrisville have a huge population of South Asians. That said, "white" non-hispanics make up the majority of people in Raleigh and Wake County (but it's not Utah or anything like that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary