U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 AM

561 posts, read 827,881 times
I am all for the Food Trucks on private street as a compromise to the businesses who are against Food Trucks......I'm soooo ready for this to happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM

9,066 posts, read 18,379,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I am all for the Food Trucks on private street as a compromise to the businesses who are against Food Trucks......I'm soooo ready for this to happen!
I agree. I think this is a good compromise too. I am interested to see how the discussion goes tonight!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM

229 posts, read 310,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Looks like the Raleigh City Council will discuss a new proposal on how to handle food trucks at their meeting tonight. I plan to watch the meeting on TV to see how it turns out.

"a new proposal would allow food trucks to operate on private property, but not within 50 feet of a restaurant unless they get permission from the restaurant owner."

Read more: Food trucks may get a break in Raleigh - Dining - NewsObserver.com
I'm seeing tweets from a number of trucks you mentioned, saying that they'll be at the hearing tonight starting around 6:00 to serve food, many even serving for free! I've yet to try a food truck in the triangle, so I'm most definitely heading over there to feed my face.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM

615 posts, read 452,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I agree. I think this is a good compromise too. I am interested to see how the discussion goes tonight!

I wish I could go tonight. Agree this would be a good compromise. I know that if there were food trucks like these near my high school, I would've gained my freshman 15 before I stepped anywhere near college.

I know this isn't on the agenda for tonight's discussion, but I would think it would be great to have occasional food truck rodeos at the various home improvement warehouse (Home Depot, Lowe's) parking lots in Raleigh.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
I wish I could go tonight. Agree this would be a good compromise. I know that if there were food trucks like these near my high school, I would've gained my freshman 15 before I stepped anywhere near college.

I know this isn't on the agenda for tonight's discussion, but I would think it would be great to have occasional food truck rodeos at the various home improvement warehouse (Home Depot, Lowe's) parking lots in Raleigh.
Who knows, maybe once they a freed up to do so somehting like that could happen.

FWIW, I am going to watch this from home. I think the council meetings are broadcast live on channel 10 or 11 on TWC. I was thinking fo actually going to the meeting and grabbing some free food but I have a feeling that they will be in short supply and there isn't much time before the meeting starts!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM

561 posts, read 827,881 times
How did this go? I stopped by the had some free Klausie pizza, but that was the only food truck there. Boohoo.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Triangle Food Trucks?-img_3854.jpg   Looking for Triangle Food Trucks?-img_3855.jpg  

Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
How did this go? I stopped by the had some free Klausie pizza, but that was the only food truck there. Boohoo.
The text change was not approved. After listening to many comments from both sides the council has sent it back to committee to work out a compromise. The restaurant owners were not satisfied with what was proposed since it left a lot unsaid.

I'm a little dissapointed to hear only Klausie's was set up outside as they had advertised that other foodtrucks would be there with their trucks too.

To be honest, I think the food truck folks need to get better organized. While I feel for them, I think they do a terrible job making their arguement and I was a little shocked at how unprepared they appeared for a meeting the have known about for weeks. Both sides are making the same tired points, but the Food Truck folks need to realize the burden is on them to make the case why an existing ordinance needs to be changed. Instead of speaking to points about the ordinance they make a lot of "feel good" statements about how trucks will compliment downtown and will make it more vibrant. While this is all well and good, more concrete ideas and facts must be clearly expressed to the commission so they have something to hang their hat on to make changes to the existing requirements.

I honestly beleive the Food Truck folks would be well served by pooling their resources and hiring a spokesperson or lawyer to speak on their behalf. To some degree I would suggest the same for the restaurant owners. It is sad, but the most informed and clear speaker at tonight's meeting was an owner of a McDonalds. He was clearly prepared and offered examples that made sense. Probably the most effective speaker of the night. Not a surprise that in the end the text wasn't approved as a result.

The food trucks and the restaurant owners need to prepare better for these meetings - they are missing their one opportunity to wiegh in on the final result that could benefit both sides.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 AM

711 posts, read 1,785,285 times
Default Detroit Style Pizza???

As a life long South-east Michigan resident (still hoping to move to Raleigh) I have no idea what would be considered Detroit Style Pizza.

Little Cesars Pizza? - head quartered in Detoirt

Dominos Pizza? - head quartered in Ann Arbor about 30 miles west of Detroit.

There are a couple of small chains specializing in a thick crust pizza, notably Cottage Inn and Shield's, which is quite tasty and often served in square or rectangular shapes rather than circular.

Detroit Style Pizza? That is a new one for me.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
As a life long South-east Michigan resident (still hoping to move to Raleigh) I have no idea what would be considered Detroit Style Pizza.

Little Cesars Pizza? - head quartered in Detoirt

Dominos Pizza? - head quartered in Ann Arbor about 30 miles west of Detroit.

There are a couple of small chains specializing in a thick crust pizza, notably Cottage Inn and Shield's, which is quite tasty and often served in square or rectangular shapes rather than circular.

Detroit Style Pizza? That is a new one for me.
I had never heard of it before either (though I am not from MI). You can read more about his style of pizza here.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 AM

491 posts, read 719,073 times
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the discussion, NRG - very interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary