Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,978 times

Advertisements

My apartment lease is up on April 30. I have no money whatsoever to put a deposit on a room or apartment by then. I will have to stretch the money in my bank account just to survive to the end of the month.

I have reserved a storage room for the remainder of my stuff (have already sold all I can).

I have no family in the area. I cannot immediately move back home (there are no jobs-small rural town three hours away).

On the 29th I get my paycheck and I will have around $500 to deposit on an apartment but I won't have a place to live in May. What are my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,443 times
I would go on CL or another type website and look for someone who needs a roommate. You would just need enough money to pay rent esp. if they just need someone short term.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 AM

257 posts, read 713,317 times
Are there any hostels nearby?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
why not stay where you are?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:33 AM

226 posts, read 506,913 times
Sounds like you could try staying temporarily with a friend and help them with expenses. Just be very clear that it's temporary and communicate very well that you will be moving out within a month or two.

Otherwise, you could look for a less expensive place or hunt for a roommate.

I had a friend who lived out of his car for a month last spring until he could get the money together for a place, though I wouldn't advise that for most people.

Cameron Village apartments (formerly Smallwood Apts) have vacancies and are only $575 a month. They're pretty flexible about deposits. You could ask a potential landlord if you could break the deposit into a couple of payments.

Also, several people offer rooms for rent in their homes, which are usually much cheaper than a full apartment. CL or the newspaper might have something listed. Just be clear on the terms.

Do you have friends or relatives who could loan you the money or the possibility of a short term loan from your employer?

Good luck finding something! I've been where you are and know how it sucks.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
can you renew your lease?

Will you get your security deposit back?

Thing is, unless you are indigent, or there has been a disaster (fire/storm/etc) there aren't many resources out there for housing. Failure to plan for living expenses (saving up for a deposit when you know your lease is up) doesn't qualify a person for emergency financial help.

I would look into roommate options if you are unable to renew your lease. Will your landlord give you a positive referral? This may help you talk a new landlord into delaying the new deposit until you can get the deposit back on your current apartment.

Also, look for apartments that have move in specials that offer free rent.... you may be able to talk the property manager into giving you some leeway on the deposit instead of the advertised special.

And something you may look into is renting in some of the undesirable neighborhoods. Landlords are more lenient because vacancies are common.

You did not list where you work, we may be able to find some places nearby if we knew a location.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Extended Day Hotels may be an option. They charge less per day the longer you stay and they are furnished with kitchenettes so you would be able to prepare your meals (that should save).

I do think the idea of renting a room may be less expensive, though.

Good luck.

Vicki

Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,914 times
I second the idea of looking for a sublet or room to rent on Craigslist. I did that when I first moved here. I didn't find what I was looking for in a search, so I posted an ad for what I wanted and actually got a lot of responses, including several people that offered to let me stay at their place for free. I rented a room in someone's house, no security deposit required. Just make sure that you take the time to talk to and meet the person in advance to make sure it's a good fit. Because even if you're just going to do it for a few weeks (like I did) or months, you still need it to be a good fit for all parties involved. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,383 times
Take over a college student's lease for the summer. Lots of them are on 12-month leases that will end in August, but have since decided that they want to be somewhere else for the summer (internship, travel, etc).

A lot of times you can sublease for less than the cost of the current lease. This will give you a few months to try to save up money and get a new place.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 AM

121 posts, read 429,985 times
Extended stay hotels will negotiate a price with you if you are staying more than 7 days. For example, when my husband came to NC to look for work, he stayed in a hotel in Cary. He told the manager that he really wanted to stay there rather than the hotel down the street, so could he could give him a discount--the price went from 68 to 49 per night with agreement that my husband would stay there three weeks. The room had a kitchenette. Sweet deal IMO. It might not always work, but it's worth a try. Ask in person--not over the phone. They don't need your life story; just ask the question and be sincere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary