U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,174,626 times
Thumbs up Hillsborough BBQ Company

Has anyone tried it yet? Yes, they just opened yesterday but I am excited to try it and wondering if anyone else has heard of it? I love the variety of their menu! BBQ, chicken cheesesteak, veggie burger made of eggplant, two slaws, sweet potatoe tots, pit cooked rabbit, etc...

Hillsborough BBQ Company | Pit-Cooked BBQ in Hillsborough, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 01:05 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,162,358 times
When I go to a BBQ place I don't want them to wander further than from beef to pig. BBQ is about being true to your roots not starting some fusion boutique.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 PM

1,415 posts, read 2,103,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
When I go to a BBQ place I don't want them to wander further than from beef to pig. BBQ is about being true to your roots not starting some fusion boutique.
Don't they cook chickens with BBQ up there? At pit parties here, we cook a pig alongside the whole chickens.

I looked at their menu, the only things that were not 'traditional' were salmon cakes and the rabbit. I don't get where this is a 'fusion boutique'.

ETA: the veggie burger is odd, I will grant you that.... but should everybody suffer because great Aunt Sarah has decided she is a vegan?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM

8,273 posts, read 11,728,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Don't they cook chickens with BBQ up there? At pit parties here, we cook a pig alongside the whole chickens.
I take it by your references to "up there" and "here" that you're not from the Triangle? Curious where you're posting from.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I take it by your references to "up there" and "here" that you're not from the Triangle? Curious where you're posting from.
I think she was referring to DCforever being in DC.

I don't consider it fusion either, although not your typical BBQ joint. A lot of BBQ places, and most places in general cater to vegetarians now, since a lot of times a spouse or friend tagging along are vegetarian. And vegetarians who like yummy sides

Old 04-08-2011, 03:10 PM

8,273 posts, read 11,728,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I think she was referring to DCforever being in DC.
Oh that makes sense - I was having difficulty keeping straight who was where. My brain is fried on a Friday afternoon . . .

Old 04-08-2011, 03:27 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,162,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post

I looked at their menu, the only things that were not 'traditional' were salmon cakes and the rabbit. I don't get where this is a 'fusion boutique'.

ETA: the veggie burger is odd, I will grant you that.... but should everybody suffer because great Aunt Sarah has decided she is a vegan?
The OP said chicken cheesesteak. To each his own but you won't find me in a BBQ place that worries about people who want to eat tofu. I'm looking for a place that does beef or pork insanely well and probably serves it on butcher paper.

But damn, anybody can BBQ a chicken. A good brisket or Boston Butt takes some skill.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,808,590 times
That's a mighty fancy menu for a barbecue joint I'm really interested in the whole hog barbecue, slaw and the cornbread. Hopefully they'll do it the right way. I loved the old photos on their page.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:57 PM

So we went b/c I couldn't resist

Everything was really good. I got the BBQ sandwich with red slaw. I was thinking the slaw would be kind of like Q-Shack's, but it was actually shredded finely and slightly sweet, kind of like an Asian slaw. The mac n cheese was good, as well as the hush puppies. The honey butter was good too, it was creamy and fresh. They have both vinegar and tomato based sauce at each table.

My boyfriend actually had BBQ for lunch in the Asheville area on his way back from work so he had the wedge salad and catfish bites, both were a hit. The beers are a bit over priced though.

All in all the menu looks really interesting and we kept it pretty simple tonight. For it being the second night and really busy, the servers were pretty friendly and attentive, although noticeably stressed, which is to be expected. Great atmosphere, although packed and noisy since everyone is checking it out. So glad to have another BBQ joint not too far away and a bit different than others!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM

412 posts, read 806,641 times
We know the owners, and let me just say based on their other venture (the Wooden Nickel), I can only imagine that the food is good, albeit a bit eclectic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary