Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 23,780 times

Advertisements

We are relocating at the end of this week to Raleigh. We need to hit the ground running when we get here and our au pair has decided (at the final hour) not to come with us.

The agency we've been with has been unresponsive in the past (so far they haven't come forward with a point person in Raleigh) and we need some immediate help. A nanny is unaffordable and probably unnecessary as our kids are 11, 7 and 4 (all boys). There will be about a 3 week lag before school starts and they don't know anyone (neither do we) and have nothing to do. The 11 year old will object forcefully to drop-in day care but we may have to do something along those lines as we will be in a hotel until our furniture arrives.

Any suggestions about where we might find someone affordable to help us w/the kids, unpacking and getting settled? (An au pair is $158 a week for 45 hours and you pay for room, board, $500 towards tuition and a sizable agency fee. Also, they're a member of the family -- so we're pretty sad.)

Also, does anyone have an au pair who can tell us what agencies have a presence here? Any suggestions for alternative solutions? We are self-employed and don't have the resources of a corporate relocation (although I know that not all companies assist with childcare).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
My nieces and nephews are all in YMCA day camp this time of year. That would cover all your kids ages, so you might want to call and see if there are openings. You don't have to be a member. This is the general link for the YMCA YMCA of the Triangle Area Home . You'll then need to call the individual branch. AE Finley is North Raleigh, Central is downtown, other branches may be possible depending on where you are moving.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
You aren't going to find anyone to work for au pair rates unless they're an au pair. Most people around here would expect no less than $250-300 a week to care for 3 children that age and finding them on short notice would be extremely unlikely.
I would suggest looking in to a nanny service or day care. Even still, day camp type day cares may be very hard to come by this time of year since school starts soon and most places have been filled for weeks.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:14 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
A lot of traditional camps end the second week in August because the counselors have to go back to college. You might do better with one that serves year round students.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:10 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I would also suggest joining triangle mommies and posting something on the networking group. There are a number of people who have nannies, or who are looking for some short term work...........that might help in a pinch.

trianglemommies.com

good luck
Leigh

Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Try an agency called Trios Nannies (919.828.4212). They have a nanny service and a babysitting service. I was going to use them and thought they were quite reasonable in price ($12 an hour for 2 kids). There's also Nancy's Nannies, but they don't come out to Durham. Their number is 919.571.0330. They also do babysitting. Also, you might want to google them but there is a child care referral service that will help you find what you need.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
This is a touchy situation since both financial and emotional matters factor into the decision.

Depending on the salary involved and the cost of child care, sometimes Mom is financially better off staying home until the kids are in full time classes or Mom and dad can work different shifts to provide coverage for the kids.

It's a tough decision.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
I only take home like $400 a week working third shift. I have a two year old that I stay up with almost all day. Not much sleep for me. Maybe I should just start watching people's kids for a living? Off the books, of course. My wife has a job so I wouldn't have to make that much doing it.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:28 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Just beware of liability issues in day care.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:35 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I only take home like $400 a week working third shift. I have a two year old that I stay up with almost all day. Not much sleep for me. Maybe I should just start watching people's kids for a living? Off the books, of course. My wife has a job so I wouldn't have to make that much doing it.
I hope you mean instead of working the third shift, not along with it? I use to work 7:00P.M.-7:00 A.M., up until a couple of years ago, so we wouldn't have to spend money on daycare. Worked out well, but very difficult. Always sleep deprived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary