U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 24,301 times

Advertisements

My mother is coming to the area and is disabled and lives on disability alone, is there anywhere affordable in Wake county that she can rent from? She is loking to pay $300 monthly everything included, I am not sure how to help, but how do other disabled people live around the area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:11 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,166,420 times
She may want to see if she is eligible for SSI, which is also through social security. It's need based and is a max of $674 per month, I think, but could be very helpful for her to have some extra income.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:43 PM

8,586 posts, read 15,717,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthboundmama View Post
My mother is coming to the area and is disabled and lives on disability alone, is there anywhere affordable in Wake county that she can rent from? She is loking to pay $300 monthly everything included, I am not sure how to help, but how do other disabled people live around the area?
Might try DHIC DHIC, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening neighborhoods and families in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 PM

703 posts, read 869,779 times
Contact Alliance of Disability Advocates. This Center for Independent Living >> is committed to assisting people with disabilities to live independently and become productive, full participants in society. The entire staff and board, most of whom have disabilities, support people with disabilities in their efforts toward such life-affirming goals.<< Alliance of Disability Advocates

If they are anything like the CILs in other states, they will be a great resource for you and your Mom in accessing affordable housing and soooo much more.

Wishing you both the best.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 PM

247 posts, read 410,317 times
Interesting name Eartboundmama. How about moving her in with you? Multi-generational arrangement are they way they did it for years.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 PM

3,193 posts, read 5,953,616 times
NC is very poor in providing services for the disabled and impoverished. I've been through this process and AFAIK there's nothing like what you're asking for. I have to agree with andyselec's comment. However, there are national services like "A Place For Mom" that might be able to find something, possibly a room in a private home, but I think realistically you'll have to increase substantially what she's willing to pay per month.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,843,287 times
THe Villages of Lake Boone Trail has first floor wheel chair accessible apartments. But I think $300 per month is not going to cover it. Does she qualify for Section 8?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:20 AM

703 posts, read 869,779 times
I'd second the suggestion to explore having her move in with you. More and more people are giving it a go and finding that while it does have its struggles, with some adjustments it can work out well.

Even a room in a house is usually upwards of $300/month plus utilities. Plus, does she need services to help her manage her disability? Who will be providing those services?

$300/month for housing usually only works if there is a subsidy of some sort such as Section 8 vouchers or tax credit apartments. www.resourcesforseniors.com/pdf/housing.doc lists various properties with costs and waiting times. Waiting period for a Section 8 voucher can be years.

I'm assuming that she is moving to be closer to you as she ages. If moving in with you is not in the picture, she may want to rethink this moving business. What services/support does she have in place where she is living? Will she be able to access them in this area?

Funding for programs to support those with disabilities is being cut all over the country. For example, if the Texas legislature passes the current budget proposal, Medicaid funding for long term care facilities (already so low that many facilities won't accept it) will be cut by a third in Texas. Yikes!

Sadly, the future does not look rosy for those who depend on financial assistance from the government. I don't know what is to become of those who do not have family who can step in to help.

Last edited by PatRoy1; 04-15-2011 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Left out words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary