Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,268 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend the Briercreek area and Southpoint areas due to the local bars and activities for a single female professional. I recommend theses areas to the resident/fellows/grad students I interact with. Both areas has access to your workplace and cater to professionals from UNC/Duke/RTP. I frequented the irish pub on the southern part of Briercreek and City Beverage near Southpoint. You can get to the Durham Athletic Park, performing arts center and tobacco trail easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 01:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
I agree with the people who are mentioning Brier Creek for convenience and stuff to do.

Morrisville, in the areas I've mentioned, is right off I-40. I live fairly close to there, and I can get to downtown Raleigh in 15-20 minutes. So, it's still convenient unless you're a career bar hopper who can never drive home.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 10,376 times
Thanks to all!

I don't really know anyone in the area, which is one of the main reasons i was looking for a place with a crowd similar to myself.

But i will make sure to look into the southpoint and briar creek areas.

As far as the commuting goes, i didn't want to have to commute more than 20 minutes. But there's always the bus/shuttles.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:03 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat87 View Post
But there's always the bus/shuttles.
Um, no. Not so much. Public transit is seriously lacking here...as it is in many places.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:03 PM

44 posts, read 97,592 times
I would recommend you look off of Glenwood & Duraleigh Rds. They are a lot of apartments that are fairly reasonable within that area. I am a single young professional woman myself and I think it is a great area to live. It is safe within this area too. It has access to the highways & you sit in the middle of Raleigh/Durham.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat87 View Post
Thanks to all!

I don't really know anyone in the area, which is one of the main reasons i was looking for a place with a crowd similar to myself.

But i will make sure to look into the southpoint and briar creek areas.

As far as the commuting goes, i didn't want to have to commute more than 20 minutes. But there's always the bus/shuttles.
Public transportation pretty much sucks here.

You've been forewarned.

Brier Creek isn't quite as convenient to the area where you'll be working as the RTP side of Morrisville and/or Cary just off 40.

There's plenty to do here in the burbs. I'm like you. I'd rather the short everyday commute than worries over how close I am to a dozen different forms of entertainment that must all be enjoyed in one evening.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
The main TTA station is off Page Rd, so the TTA busses might be a good option. You can actually get from there to downtown Raleigh on a bus. It isn't far from Page Rd to, say, Cameron Village in Raleigh if you lived near there. BUT, sometimes I will take you 20 minutes. Other times it might take 40. Rain, hockey game, Thursday night ESPN football games, the State fair and wrecks can throw all sort of havok into an I-40 commute.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM

76 posts, read 194,997 times
There is a complex off of Miami Blvd. called Edinborough (sp). I know several single females that live there and absolutely love it. Nice apartments for a really good price. In fact, one of the ladies just rented a one-bedroom for $575/$600 I can't remember. Another area you could check out is complexes off of Hwy 54 Durham in the Southpoint Mall area. Really nice area with great apartments and nice amenities. Of course, the closer you get to the mall the harder it will be for you to find nice apartments for the price you are searching for. If I can help in any further PM me. Good Luck

P.S. These places were all in Durham, only place I can really speak on.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Brier Creek isn't quite as convenient to the area where you'll be working as the RTP side of Morrisville and/or Cary just off 40.....
Brier Creek is very close to the area where she will be working. Shoot down 540 to 40 and you are 1 exit away, or take Globe Rd to Page Rd and avoid the interstate traffic issues.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
I'd recommend the Briercreek area and Southpoint areas due to the local bars and activities for a single female professional. I recommend theses areas to the resident/fellows/grad students I interact with. Both areas has access to your workplace and cater to professionals from UNC/Duke/RTP. I frequented the irish pub on the southern part of Briercreek and City Beverage near Southpoint. You can get to the Durham Athletic Park, performing arts center and tobacco trail easily.
I'd 2nd Southpoint/SW Durham area for proximity to stuff to do. The 1BR apartment I used to rent in SW Durham is listed for rent at only $100 more per month than I paid almost 15 years ago. [Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing] Traffic in and around the RTP has improved greatly over the last few years (combination of better/wider roads and fewer employees for blue chip companies - Nortel bankrupt, IBM/GSK with many fewer employees than in the Y2K days).

I would recommend you live where there is lots of stuff to do - e.g. walking distance and then have a manageable commute into work, instead of trying to live in the middle of RTP which can be dead at night and on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary