U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 PM

608 posts, read 532,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
Saw some pictures of the shopping plaza on the corner of Sunset Lake and Holly Springs Rd. in HS... Wachovia looks to be partially destroyed.
Are you sure it's that one? I thought it was the one at Avent Ferry/55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,249,223 times
I'm very curious of the status of the neighborhood were we used to live in S. Raleigh. On reports on the weather channel as well as WRAL I've heard the South Saunders and Lake Wheeler Road areas mentioned often. We had a house in the Tryon Pines Subdivision off Tryon Road just past Lake Wheeler and just west of South Saunders...almost sounds like it would put our old neighborhood at "ground zero". We moved from there in 2005 but still concerned as to how all of our old neighbors fared!

Old 04-16-2011, 05:23 PM

13,822 posts, read 8,798,423 times
Not much happened over here in the Lake Crabtree/SAS area of Cary. We did go out and drive around. There's insulation, sheet metal, and roofing tiles all strewn about. Wonder where they came from?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:41 PM

7,944 posts, read 10,310,339 times
Here are photos being added to WRAL's website.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM

7,944 posts, read 10,310,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm very curious of the status of the neighborhood were we used to live in S. Raleigh. On reports on the weather channel as well as WRAL I've heard the South Saunders and Lake Wheeler Road areas mentioned often. We had a house in the Tryon Pines Subdivision off Tryon Road just past Lake Wheeler and just west of South Saunders...almost sounds like it would put our old neighborhood at "ground zero". We moved from there in 2005 but still concerned as to how all of our old neighbors fared!
Looking at a map, it may be just south of "ground zero"--they are saying that most of the bad damage there was between MLK Blvd (Western) and the Beltline, and you were south of the Beltline. They probably had some wind but everything I'm hearing on the news is from north of the Beltline.

My office is on the Dix campus, where I'm seeing lots of photos of huge old oak trees leveled.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:55 PM

906 posts, read 1,401,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
I just got a txt from a neighbor. He said our street is ok. But alot of damage nearby. Said homes destroyed and power is out. Said we were really lucky
Very happy to hear this. I can't imagine having to deal with this from afar.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:59 PM

3,044 posts, read 3,218,866 times
Three fatalities in that mobile home park near Brentwood Drive

Old 04-16-2011, 06:01 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,892,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Not much happened over here in the Lake Crabtree/SAS area of Cary. We did go out and drive around. There's insulation, sheet metal, and roofing tiles all strewn about. Wonder where they came from?
We also saw large chunks of insulation on Lynn Rd near Creedmore Rd. and on a car in the parking lot at Tony's off Glenwood Ave. near CarMax.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 PM

3,594 posts, read 3,847,216 times
I drove around New Hope Rd, Trawick Rd, Yonkers, off Capital, Brentwood Rd, and thru some of the neighborhoods off these streets. It's a total mess...power lines down in the street, trees through houses, siding and roof shingles blown off. I saw huge, maybe 75+ yr old oaks blown over with roots showing. Pine trees were snapped off at the top like matchsticks. many roads are blocked in between these cross streets.

Brentwood subdivision looked ok from what I could see. It didn't appear to have been touched. Power is out in these areas and of course this means no traffic lights...saw a car almost t-boned at Brentwood and Capital. Don't go looking for any gas stations open from Capital to New Hope Rd...everything was closed. Getting to the neighborhood (mobile homes) on Stoneybrook rd was impossible. I saw relatives of residents frustrated with not being able to drive thru to get to them.

Starmount neighborhood (east side of Capital at Trawick and Buffaloe) was hardest hit...most of my photos of damage to homes I'll post were from there. It was heartbreaking to see it all. Sue Lane off New Hope was hit, as were a few streets next to it...they are on the east end of Starmount. Should have photos up in a few minutes....

Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,892,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Looking at the weather map this morning, it looks like the the worst of this is going to pass us to the North?
I was thinking about your good news as we were heading to the bathtub with our two Boston's as the tornado was passing through Raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary