U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 AM
rtp rtp started this thread

5 posts, read 24,214 times
Default Snake Repellent for Copper Head (West Cary)

I live in West Cary and my neighbour got bit by a Copper Head last week. He is ok now but had to be rushed to the ER and has tissue damage. So how do we keep the snakes away ? There are lot of small kids in the neighbourhood and I am worried about their safety. We have tried to keep the yard clean, mothballs etc. But is there a good repellent you can recommend.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,808,590 times
I don't know of any repellents that really work against poisonous snakes here. Sounds like you're doing the right things by keeping the yard cleaned up. Copperheads seem to love piles of decaying leaves and wood piles. Some areas just seem to be loaded with Copperheads while others don't.

Just curious....what was your neighbor doing when he was bitten?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 AM

3,498 posts, read 5,733,449 times
Black snakes will keep them away.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,808,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Black snakes will keep them away.
That didn't work on Sunnybrook Road growing up. We had both Black Snakes and Copperheads....and gret old big 'uns

Old 04-16-2011, 09:31 AM

6,061 posts, read 8,874,998 times
Between the tornado scares and the copperhead bites today, there won't be any new transplants to the Triangle area.

I'd like to know what the neighbor was doing, too, when he was bitten. I heard they only bite when you startle them or try to mess with them. I saw one once curled up at the end of our yard, and when I spotted him, I just quietly and quickly backed up. I heard they like to be near water, and we're on a little lake, so I can only assume there are more. But our dogs probably keep them at bay. But then again, I've seen rabbits in our yard the last couple of weeks, so they don't even keep them away.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 AM

4,291 posts, read 6,990,869 times
We used to find baby ones in the yard & driveway.. I almost stepped on a large copperhead in the yard. It was curled up in the grass near our garage in the open grass.
I had a neighbor whose kid rolled on one in the yard & got bit.

I was told cats & dogs around the yard helps. It may be true because
I haven't seen one around the house in years.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:07 PM

1,415 posts, read 2,103,751 times
Snake Away works somewhat, but you have to know how to use it. You have to create a peremiter. If you trap the snake inside of the peremeter, it cannot get out so make sure you know where they are before you create a peremeter or do not enclose the peremeter 100% in order for the snake to escape. Or you have to do a whole yard treatment which can take alot of Snake Away and you need to figure out where the snake habitats are.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM

225 posts, read 245,559 times
The best way is to discourage habitat by keeping the yard clean and free of things like wood piles or mounds of leaves, etc. Growing up in the South, we quickly learned always to look where we were stepping and to be on the lookout for snakes when doing yard work, especially under bushes, around logs, and under boards and such.

Some old people swear by creating a perimeter with sulfur, but I can't report on how that works. As the previous poster mentioned, having outside pets helps, since dogs especially go on alarm and try to kill them.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 PM

7,807 posts, read 10,075,810 times
All of the above are "common sense" things to do regarding any snakes, as is stomping your feet loudly when you approach an area that might have snakes in it. However, there aren't really effective "repellents" that can guarantee they won't come in the yard. Mothballs can keep them away from a small specific area, but in this area, you should always be vigilant that three might be snakes almost anywhere, especially in woodpiles, leaves, and underbrush. Stomping your feet gives them warning that danger (to them) is coming and hopefully they will vamoose before you get a chance to see them. However, copperheads live in all 100 counties of NC so everyone should be aware of situations that increase the (very unlikely) odds of having an unpleasant encounter with one.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:46 AM

246 posts, read 391,597 times
"Black snakes " don't repel copperheads unless it is a King snake (we have 3 "black" snake in our state Rat, Black Racer and King only the king eats other snakes.) Snakes only are going to be near their food source so the best repellent is to make sure you don't have mice (keeping things neat keeps the mice away.) The way to make sure you don't get bite is to leave it alone ( 70% of all snake bite's are people trying to kill the snake.) Snake away (moth balls) might keep the snakes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary