Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 AM

190 posts, read 274,188 times

Advertisements

We've lived in NW Raleigh for 7+ years but feel that Leesville Middle (LRMS-our base school) has slipped academically over the years. Our son (rising 7th grader) also seems to be performing below his potential at LRMS this year (he, we and several of his teachers agree).

Greatschools.net rates both schools at "7", but Martin seems to have many more elective offerings, especially in Orchestra and Art which our son does well, along with (Advanced) Math, Science, Health & Phys Ed. but NOT Language Arts or Social Studies :-(. Of course, Martin is also our GT (Gifted & Talented) middle school so MAY be more competitive (but not sure).

OTOH LRMS is < 1 mile away; may be more diverse than Martin (though not sure about that even), has some very good teachers, and he has some stable friends there... all positives. He also seems moderately excited about going to Martin and pressed us fairly hard to apply... but c/b just a case of 'grass is always greener on other side' or some fickle 12-year old motivation :-).

Any thoughts on our dilemma would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,118,098 times
It's too late to apply for next year, so you'd have to apply for 8th grade. I don't think many middle schoolers want to transfer for the last year of middle school. It's hard to get into even for 6th grade and much less likely in later grades. Is your question whether you should move to Martin's base area?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Sorry, I wasn't very clear... he was already accepted at Martin for next year, but we must reply by 4/27/11 or he'll lose his spot. We don't plan to move as we still think Leesville High would be a great place for him.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,073,365 times
Don't go to Martin--we'll take his spot

Seriously--the nice thing about Martin is that, *I think,* you get preference for magnet high schools. Plus it's a great school. I think I'd go there over a "regular" public with the same score. We applied and did not get in and didn't understand that if we put a 2nd choice (our YR option) we'd be kicked out of the Martin pool. What a bummer. I'd send my daughter there in a heartbeat, and her middle school has a Greatschools rating of 9.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 AM

906 posts, read 2,374,883 times
Personally, I would take that seat at Martin. I am a huge proponent of electives in middle school and there just aren't very many options at the regular base school. Students only get one elective a semester and that's it. I can't really speak to the academics at either school. I just know that based on the opportunities that your son will have at Martin opposed to any non-magnet middle school makes it a no-brainer for me. If he was going to have to travel a really long distance, it would be different. But since you're not that far from Martin (maybe I'm wrong?) and I'm fairly certain that Martin has neighborhood busing, I say go for it.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Don't go to Martin--we'll take his spot

Seriously--the nice thing about Martin is that, *I think,* you get preference for magnet high schools. Plus it's a great school. I think I'd go there over a "regular" public with the same score. We applied and did not get in and didn't understand that if we put a 2nd choice (our YR option) we'd be kicked out of the Martin pool. What a bummer. I'd send my daughter there in a heartbeat, and her middle school has a Greatschools rating of 9.
Yikes, that IS a bummer... I wouldn't have thought of that either! Funny, last year he didn't get accepted (to Martin), but to our second choice (which btw was a Hobson's choice which I won't state so as not to offend anyone, but was also a traditional calendar school:-).

Also interesting is that the WCPSS "party line" is that admission to GT (Gifted & Talented) vs. AG (Academically Gifted) magnets is NOT based on EOGs or other standardized tests, nor do they consider class standing... yet the 2 kids that were accepted at Martin from Leesville last year for 6th grade just happened to be among the top few students :-).

Anyway thanks for your great input!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks for your reply!

You're correct it's not all that far (8.1 miles per Google Maps) and there is a neighborhood bus. You are also correct that the number of electives at Marin (per there Website) is impressive ... phenomenal even!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 6,012 times
Default Bus to Martin middle from Leesville area

Anyone attends Martin Middle from the Leesville area. I have a child who will attend next year and wanted some infos on the bus timimigs etc.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM

814 posts, read 1,999,814 times
My oldest is an 8th grader at Martin and loves it. But it is our base school and she walks, so I am no help with bus stuff. Esp since my elem schoolers walk too!

Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,012 times
Default Martin Middle

Thanks very much usedbebe VANc about Martin. My child is not AG - so i am particularly interested in non AG classses there. Can you tell me - are thety challenged and are people of that group happy ?

Thanks in Advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary