Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,661 times

Advertisements

Hi Claire_F!!

I haven't been out of Texas for very long - was in Huntsville for a couple of years and then moved to Raleigh. It's been a challenge finding things I'm used to from Houston in Raleigh. I'm finding out that Raleigh is a cool little place (except for the state taxes!) I will definitely have to check out your choice. Would love to talk with you some time and find out what area you are from!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 02:11 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
I moved here ten years ago, and was formerly on the far west side of Houston. I hope you'll like it here. I definitely appreciate the better weather and less traffic!

If you need help finding anything, send me a message and I'll help as best as I can.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
Sometime in the last century I had a 12 month work "assignment" in Houston consulting for Shell. Had a corporate apartment off Westheimer a few miles from the Galleria. If you're looking for Texas style BBQ I think Dickey's is indeed as close as you're likely to find in Raleigh. I believe they're fairly new to this area. We had lunch at the Crossroads location a couple of months ago and it was packed ...

Frank

Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 AM

275 posts, read 396,781 times
Check out the books:

Holy Smoke: the Bib book of North Carolina Barbecue by John Shelton Reed

Bob Garner's Guide to North Carolina Barbecue by Bob Garner

Tar Heel Barbecue by Jim Early

Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times
I think this joint should be re-opened as City Hall BBQ...

Long-lost Lexington BBQ pits found behind drywall :: WRAL.com

Old 11-15-2017, 04:08 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTXChick View Post
Hey all! I am in the same baot as ZZP. I moved from Huntsville, AL to Raleigh and I am interested in BBQ. I am originally a Texas native and to me barbeque is BEEF and not pork! Any good places that have GREAT beef brisket that is NOT dry and has a little fat on it?
City Barbecue. White Oak, Garner. Next to Cabela's. Had some yesterday. Fits your description to a T. Enjoy.
And for Eastern BBQ pig. Parker's in Wilson. It does not get any better.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:16 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Here's one I'm checking out soon: Southern Smoke in Garland NC...701 between Clinton and E-Town. Open Thursday and Friday 11:30 until pork is gone.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Backyard BBQ
Allen & Sons
Bullocks
The Pit
Clyde Coopers

I had Q Shack yesterday and thought it was decent. Not sure if that's NC BBQ.
Definite yes to Allen and Sons (Orange county location is better than Pittsboro location) and Backyard BBQ (Oh, the Mac n Cheese)

OP, if you don't mind driving a little further (less than Parkers), try B's in Greenville (get there early) or Grady's which I can't even remember, it's in a cinder-block shack somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Both are superior to anything you'll find here, and have what I would call "authentic ambiance".

While I love Backyard for many reasons, I would have to give a slight nod to Allen & Sons if the vote is strictly for the Que.

Editorializing by me:
-My recollection of Bullocks is that it was more "country cooking", and their Que did not impress me.
-Pit is good, but expensive. I only go there on expense account (affordable, but not what I think of when I think authentic NC BBQ)
-Clyde Coopers, so sad, but I have not been able to bring myself to go into the new location. Really sad because the owner is getting punished for something she fought so hard against.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

or Grady's which I can't even remember, it's in a cinder-block shack somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Dudley NC. Grady's is very good

Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Dudley NC. Grady's is very good
Dudley, NC is correct, thank you. (Apparently also known as Indian Springs??) https://www.yelp.com/biz/gradys-bbq-indian-springs-2

To the HoustonTXChick: I go to Houston a LOT, was just there last week.

Someone above mentioned City BBQ. I would say that is the best choice for something that is going to be a lot like walking into Goode or Pappas. It has that "local chain" feel to it, but the set-up is very much the same. Order at the counter, they offer many options, including Brisket, Ribs, Sausage, Pulled, etc... and then you pick a side, and when you come out to the dining area, they have the sauces, pickles, onions, etc..

I can't recall if I ordered the Brisket or not (only been there once, I'm a pork guy), but what I had was good, and it reminded me VERY MUCH of my BBQ experiences in Houston.

As a benchmark, the best Texas BBQ I can remember was in Midland/Odessa at a place called KD's, I think it was near the airport. Oh man, I still burp smoke from that one (about 10 years ago). Mmmmm, good.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/kds-bar-b-q-midland-2

City BBQ in our area: https://www.yelp.com/biz/city-barbeque-cary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary