Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:05 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Harmony View Post
The Raleigh area is very nice. It is a big city lifestyle I think. I am originally from a big city, and this isn't much different tbh. It is isn't as many big cities around it, to make it seem even larger.

I will say tho, the gas prices are rediculous, and the rents are very high for what you get if your not careful. And you really need to shop around for a good house price. Cost of living is high here, compared to other cities in NC, basically. Unemployment is rough here atm as well from what I see around me. We moved here from a coastal town, not small.. and husband is making less, and we are paying a lot more for everything. And I just don't get the high gas prices.

It is a good mix of many cultures tho, and a busy town. Lot's to do, and nice country side if you like that sort of thing and want to get out of the traffic a bit.
This is really a matter of opinion and from whence you came. To me, the area is very suburban. Both Raleigh and Durham are small cities but both have lots to offer in terms of restaurants, culture recreational activities etc. In my opinion, rents/home prices are quite reasonable, but again, this depends on where you are coming from. As far as gas prices, the recent bump in prices is certainly not unique to the area, they are high everywhere - reflecting the instability in the middle east, not Raleigh.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 AM

50 posts, read 108,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Harmony View Post
The Raleigh area is very nice. It is a big city lifestyle I think. I am originally from a big city, and this isn't much different tbh. It is isn't as many big cities around it, to make it seem even larger.

I will say tho, the gas prices are rediculous, and the rents are very high for what you get if your not careful. And you really need to shop around for a good house price. Cost of living is high here, compared to other cities in NC, basically. Unemployment is rough here atm as well from what I see around me. We moved here from a coastal town, not small.. and husband is making less, and we are paying a lot more for everything. And I just don't get the high gas prices.

It is a good mix of many cultures tho, and a busy town. Lot's to do, and nice country side if you like that sort of thing and want to get out of the traffic a bit.
I'm from NYC and I am very aware of how high rent prices are there, but the rent over here isn't all that that cheap. It is cheaper to buy a house and pay a mortgage than to rent. GAs prices are high everywhere. Food prices are high here and given the fact that pay is also lower compared to other cities ( NYC not included) that makes it expensive to live here unless you earn a good living.

As others have said, check out Atlanta and Charlotte I think it is better for a single gal from a large city. I am also single and in my thirties,and it seems like all the men in Raleigh of legal age are married.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 AM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
I wouldn't hesitiate to move to Raleigh and get the heck out of Ohio.

I'm 41 and a single male, and while it can be hard to meet people at times, there's lots of very nice people in the Raleigh area. No matter where you live, it's harder to meet people after 35 who are single and have no kids. Just the way it is.

As far as the quality of people, lifestyle, good economy /decent jobs, weather, housing, you'll be hard pressed to find and perfect area of the country.

Raleigh and the metro RTP area rates very high on the list.

I lived in Atlanta for almost 7 years back in the 90's, and if you DOUBLED my salary, I would not move back!! Too congested, takes 3 hours to get across town, nightmare traffic. Just a very stressed out lifestyle.

There's a tremendous amount of transplants that have moved to NC from up North. If I had to guess, I'd say that 1/2 of the residents of NC came dowm from PA, NY and the N. Eastern states.

The real estate taxes alone are ridiculous up North.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM

596 posts, read 1,239,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Gal View Post
Hello everyone, and thank you in advance for your advice (except from the people not wanting us Northerners - especially NYCers - moving to Raleigh - LOL). I am hoping to get your opinion of life in Raleigh based on the information I provided below.

I've been interested in moving to Raleigh for some time now because I don't like living in Columbus, Ohio as I get older. I also don't want to go back home to NYC due to gray sky (not blue - LOL), the battle for parking (can't give up the driving lifestyle), and tiny and expensive apartments.

I hear that Raleigh has similarities to Columbus like the way the neighborhoods look and the cost of living, but that it is a bigger city, more urban, more "on the map", and has lots of transplants like me (especially from NYC). I also hear that Raleigh has a highly educated population. Plus, the drive between Raleigh and NYC when visiting my mom is 1.5 hours less than from Columbus, and I would guess, the driving route may be a bit more scenic (I currently have to drive through KKK land to get to NYC which makes this Russian-American gal very nervous during the drive).

Why do I dislike Columbus? I liked Columbus in 1997 (in my mid-twenties) when I moved here to attend grad/prof school at OSU. But, I am now 38 and single, my friends moved away, and most people in Columbus seem to be married with children. Plus, most people in Columbus are from Ohio - so, they have extended family and a well-developed friend network from their younger days. So, I don't have an outlet to make new friends or do much socially. Plus:
- there isn't much to do in Columbus in terms of cultural events (even on my own);
- everyone is married with kids, so it's nearly impossible to make friends;
- sports - the entire city is comprised of the Buckeye football CULT. I have nothing against sports, but I have grown very frustrated because it seems that everyone (and I mean everyone) is an avid Buckeye football fan --- not because they really love the Buckeyes, but (and it's only my opinion) because they want to "belong". It's like they're drinking the Buckeye "kool-aid". Raleigh, on the other hand, has 3 major schools with big sports (Duke, UNC, NCS) which is very cool and makes for a healthy local rivalry and diversity; and finally
- the more I live in Columbus, the more I am starting to feel like everyone is the same - mentality, likes and dislikes, food choices, favorite vacation spots, etc.

So, with all this being said - if you're still reading this way-too-long message, I would love your opinion.
My personal opnion, check it out well before moving, this is a huge culture shock coming from a large city! The area tries hard, but still lacks "Big City" things to do, including mass transit, but is a beautiful state! The most fun and interesting things to do reguire either a 2 hr. ride to the beach or 3 hr. trip to the mountains, at least thats how it goes for us ! Someone recently pointed out to me "so we are in the middle of no where" Best of luck to you !

Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Raleigh is indeed not a legitimate "Big City" town. But it's a nice compromise, IMO.

But that's part of the reality of some places being more industrial with the downtown business and lifestyle, and being an "old" town.

But Columbus, OH is not New York City, Los Angeles, or Miami.

How many people just take a weekend and say, hey...lets go to Cleveland or Columbus, Ohio?

Not many, and I wouldn't, either.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 AM

794 posts, read 1,324,994 times
Default NO to Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
I lived in Atlanta for almost 7 years back in the 90's, and if you DOUBLED my salary, I would not move back!! Too congested, takes 3 hours to get across town, nightmare traffic. Just a very stressed out lifestyle.
I agree with everyone saying to come down and visit a few times before making a decisions...but I would put a big VETO on Atlanta. I also lived there for 7 years (early 20's to 30) and hated it. Traffic, sprawl, crabby people, horrible, slow customer service almost everywhere, and prices are climbing there too.

And, if you're seriously worried about the KKK, I believe they were founded in Georgia. It wouldn't surprise me in the least since I heard/saw things while living in GA that shocked me and they have (IMO) the worst tension among different races in any city I've lived (DFW/LA/ATL/DC).

With that said, I am 35, single, female, just moved to the area and love it! Check out Meet-up (as others have said) and join a few groups. I've already met a couple people that way and we've started hanging out outside of the group events. Or, just be open to conversation and getting to know people when you're out. I've found people are very interesting and willing/wanting to chat and get to know you when you say you're new to the area.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM

If I had no choice and was forced to live in Atlanta, it would almost have to be downtown in a highrise as a single person.

Just driving anywhere in Atlanta is a disaster and you're pretty much on lockdown from 4-7 pm every night. Wanna go catch a game and see the Atlanta Braves? Better leave 3 hours early or you won't get there. Even if you're closer towards the City of Atlanta.

Same thing with the RDU airport vs a town like DC or Atlanta.

You can't just meet-up with friends across town for a beer after work in Atlanta. It better be on the way home or close by.

That's the good thing about Raleigh. Taffic here is a breeze compared to other large citys. You can go to a concert at RBC/Walnut Creek, go see a hockey game, or head to downtown and not have it take 3 hours.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitness Gal View Post
I currently have to drive through KKK land to get to NYC which makes this Russian-American gal very nervous during the drive).

Perhaps others don't know about it or perhaps choose to ignore it, but I lived in Johnston county before moving to Wake and I can attest that although KKK are not on each corner waving signs, they are still very well and alive here. In the mid 80's when you got off I95 in Smithfield, NC (Carolina Outlet Malls) there was a sign in plain site stating "Home of the KKK". So as I stated either some don't want to talk about it or have not experienced it and that may be due to their ethnicity or color of skin. But again KKK = ignorance + hatred so they certainly a minority group. Just because someone has a confed flag doesn't make them a racist or KKK. I just want to clear the air on that.

I'm originally from NYC and left their about 30 yrs ago. Born and raised in the city. Raleigh is definitely not a big city feel. I am married with a family in my midlife stage and at our age with college age children it's boring for us. Raleigh certainly is lacking in cultural diversity, ethnic restaurants, events, etc. For outdoor life style there is sufficient but for night life their is little. RTP as a whole is more of a bedroom community. K-12 Schools are not that great. There are a few in Wake but they have major overcrowding.

Shopping / consumer, well the typical stores and restaurants you'd find anywhere.

One thing you should know is that NC is heavy tax laden. They will charge you taxes for standing at a crosswalk waiting for the light if they could. You will get taxed for vehicle property annually, home property tax is decent in many places about $.85/ 100. Salary tax is high, you must pay a ridiculous $250 road use tax when registering vehicle. Some counties will charge you annual pet tax on dogs depending on the size of the animal. Cost of food is just as high as most of the country.

Really the only benefit here when it comes to some savings is real estate tax and cost of homes although you still many homes in the $300k - $400k + range. Roads are crowding. I40 is killer on rush hour from RTP. I540 is also getting bad.

Bottom line is do your research really good.

We plan on moving somewhere in the future like Florida for other personal reasons aside from we like it there more.

Ah yeah, last thing is that NC is just as hot and humid as Florida. Ask some of the native Floridians that have moved here.

Good luck with your decision!!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Honestly you guys sound absolutely ridiculous. RDU is a leftist haven and far from being clan country. lol.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-25-2011 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Honestly you guys sound absolutely ridiculous. RDU is a leftist haven and far from being clan country. lol.
The only people who think this is a left haven are the neoconservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary