Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times

Advertisements

> I simply would like to know if there truly are job opportunities for what I do

We can't possibly answer this--you'd have to do the research and find out for yourself what the job opportunities are in what you do, unless someone on C-D just happens to work in HR for your field. Start checking out the websites of the companies similar to yours, try calling and asking someone directly, etc--you're not going to get that answer with one post to a site like this.

Personally I think it's a HUGE risk to move a child all the way across country without a job in the bag. Others have done it to varying degrees of success, but luck, a good job market, and connections help the most with those. It doesn't sound like you have good connections, and the job market overall is not so good here. So I hope you're lucky... I would strongly recommending looking into many other cities than putting all your eggs in just Raleigh, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
I think they do a COLA on unemployment. You really should check that out before you move outside the state of CA.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:32 AM

699 posts, read 1,705,687 times
Good for you for looking at what the future holds for you and your daughter in California and wondering if there might be something better somewhere else. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all. (Hellen Keller)

Excellent advice to have a job lined up before you move. I realize that this is more difficult than it sounds, but with a trip or two out to interview, it can be done. And with a daughter to consider, it would be way too risky in this economy to move out here and hope for the best.

I would encourage you to carefully consider your support system. Phone calls are all well and good, but you will not have friends/family to give you a break from parenting, include you at Thanksgiving, etc. Flying back for the holidays will be spendy.

Are you looking at the West Coast as well?

Last edited by PatRoy1; 04-25-2011 at 02:42 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 AM

3,949 posts, read 5,085,750 times
Default No substitute for family

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingCaliIthink View Post
I also have a 9 year old daughter, so need to find a safe neighborhood, good schools, daycare, options for sports, etc. She is totally for the move as she sees the problems this economy is causing people.
Wouldn't it be hard on your daughter being away from her father? Yes, I'm a man so I think about these things.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 AM

56 posts, read 95,850 times
There are other pharmaceutical companies here that you can try. (Novo Nordisk, Novartis) This area has the lowest unemployment rate in the whole state. You could also look into Charlotte, I read an article that a Charlotte company is about to hire 1200 people. Its some type of call center job for health insurance so maybe thats something to look into. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,002,666 times
If I were a young, unemployed, single parent I would move to
Cartersville or Dalton Ga. I am sure their are other Ga towns like this but I am only familiar with these two.

Reasons..
Ga gives a full paid college education to every student with a decent grade point
average

Low cost of living/housing

Good local schools

Old 04-29-2011, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 11,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I think one of the biggest aspects of any long distance move is the understanding of what kind of support system do you have in California that you will be leaving to move here? So often the discussion to leave an area is about better job prospects, cheaper cost of living....BUT a support system of friends and family should be part of the discussion too.

We overlooked that when we came here from Northern California 6 years ago and looking back now I wished we would have added that to the equation in making our decision. BUT sometimes we have to leave something before we realize the important role it played in our lives.

Excellent point! We also moved from Northern California and have been here for 6 months now. Fortunately, people are very welcoming here and we've made friends very quickly, however, it's not the same as having access to family and old friends.

The job market is better than what you're currently experiencing in SoCal, but still not aggressively moving forward.

Some things are more affordable (housing), others are not -we pay more for water/sewer/trash than we did in CA. You'll also find that groceries are more expensive, especially produce, and the quality won't be anywhere close to what you're accustomed to buying.

You'll also want to take stock of what you like to do in your free time. There are a lot more options for activities & entertainment in CA. Overall, it's a nice place to live and a good, safe place to raise a family.

It's a big decision - good luck!

Old 04-30-2011, 06:53 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times
Wilmington is another place with a lot of bio/pharm companies. You'll here people complaining about low wages for high cost of living, but the low wages come from low jobs. There's are high paying jobs there but you need education/experience to get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary