Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Did you check out the PreCor when you chose Octane?
I don't remember what other brands they had at the time but one thing I liked about the Octane was it's relatively compact length. I think it also had a lower height when you stand on it - important because at the time it was going into a bonus room with slanted ceilings.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Saturnfan, how is their customer service?
Good. Our apt complex uses them for all service.

Just don't waste money on mass market trash if you will work out seriously. The cheap junk just won't hold up. Full commercial costs but will satisfy the true exerciser.

I work out 3 hours daily in our gym and find the Vision Fitness elliptical an excellent choice. Used to own my own Stairmaster 4000PT. That was a tough machine but the newer models are not good.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Ahhh! I shall pass along to the Mr. Meh. He's in charge of the elliptical purchase, but he likes to make me think I get to help pick it out. LOL!

We've been looking at PreCor ones that seem to run about 8k, so I dunno that he'll be shocked.

Did you check out the PreCor when you chose Octane?
PreCor is a good one. You might get a less fancy model for much less than $8K.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
PreCor is a good one. You might get a less fancy model for much less than $8K.

Yeah.. I was checking those out. The husband really wants this particular model, and I forget the number of it, but it does a few things that none of the others do (and it looks freaking cool, the option to do those things).

I wish we could find a reconditioned one.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah.. I was checking those out. The husband really wants this particular model, and I forget the number of it, but it does a few things that none of the others do (and it looks freaking cool, the option to do those things).

Previous gym units take a lot of wear and the electronic trash in many new models is frighteningly costly to replace.

Now, if you find a previously privately owned PreCor, that might be a good pick.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Previous gym units take a lot of wear and the electronic trash in many new models is frighteningly costly to replace.

Now, if you find a previously privately owned PreCor, that might be a good pick.

Yeah... that was more of what we were thinking. The ones out of gyms look like they've been rode hard...literally. LOL!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:

$8K for a piece of exercise equipment!!!!! - could build a gym for that amount.

I have been using one of those mass market ones for the last 10 years:

Horizon Fitness E30 Folding Elliptical Trainer

Use it 4-5 times a week - 45 minutes at a time and I am very large. Bought it because it folded up (and we had very little space for it at our old house). Learned the hard way you cant move it by the control panel - it has been JB Weld'd a couple of times in its existance. Oil the rails each use and it is still going strong. Think we paid ~$700 for it 10 years ago.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
$8K for a piece of exercise equipment!!!!! - could build a gym for that amount.

I have been using one of those mass market ones for the last 10 years:

Horizon Fitness E30 Folding Elliptical Trainer

Use it 4-5 times a week - 45 minutes at a time and I am very large. Bought it because it folded up (and we had very little space for it at our old house). Learned the hard way you cant move it by the control panel - it has been JB Weld'd a couple of times in its existance. Oil the rails each use and it is still going strong. Think we paid ~$700 for it 10 years ago.
You are most fortunate with your elliptical. Many folks are not so satisfied if they regularly use mass market pieces.

I exercise over 2 hours per day, my wife over 1 hour, and we need full commercial.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
You are most fortunate with your elliptical. Many folks are not so satisfied if they regularly use mass market pieces.

I exercise over 2 hours per day, my wife over 1 hour, and we need full commercial.

This^^

Yeah... that's why we're looking at it, too. We'd destroy anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary